Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 7:02:28 AM EDT
I am wondering, just out of curiosity, who is who on this board. So far, it seems there are more urbanites(or rather, suburbanites) than the rural resident. But I could be wrong.

To those who live in the country (i.e. can't see into neighbor's window) - do you like it? It has some appeal to me right now.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
"Green Acres is the place to be!
Farm living is the life for me!
Land spreadin' out so far and wide,
Keep Manhattan just give me that countryside!"

Addendum: OK. I'm not on a farm. I have three acres with my property abutting a nature preserve.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Gawd, KODoc, you're old. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Speak up ya young whippersnapper!!! I got me a tin ear!!!

Either that or I watch Nick at Nite! [:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
unfortunately i live in a suburban community. i hate it.

i cant wait to move out to the sticks and not have a neighbor for 3 miles. (at least)
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to live in doentown Cincinnati in the ghetto.

Now I once again live in the small, farming community of my youth where my wife and my familes are originally from.

When I stand in the middle of my mom's farm, I can see the horizon in 365 degrees with no obstruction (800 acres).
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm currently living in East San Diego County.  City pop is about 100k (it was 24k when we moved here in the late 60's).

Last place was Meridian, MS. for a bit over a year.  I've also lived in Oklahoma City, Oahu, Hawaii, SFO (in the city and in Marin County) and just outside Boston proper for a few months as well.  I have also visted all of the lower 48 states.

I can say that while I appreciate the convenience of living in urban/suburban areas, as I grow older and seeing the insanity that comes with urban populations I am looking to get out and head for the hills.  Eastern Washington/North Idaho are at the top of the list at this time.

I’ll gladly trade those conveniences for a more self-reliant and isolated lifestyle.  When things go bad I REALLY don’t want to be in an “urban jungle” surrounded by idiots.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm country and wouldn't have it any other way!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Small town in Iowa, so Im not really a urbanite or a country boy, some kind of hybred.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]
KODoc, you reminded me of those old shows I used watch as a kid (and they were in syndication then) - Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Gomer Pyle USMC...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Suburbanite...  although I have 1/2 an acre.  Too much grass to mow.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#11]
N Dallas suburbanite.

would like to relo to central TX or the coast or perhaps the big bend area.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#12]
...rural living all the way...happyness is being able to pee of your front porch in the morning and not having anyone there to see you...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Massachusetts suburbanite. Central Mass. is nowhere near as liberal as the Boston area, but the laws are still the same, and they suck!

I would love to live as my brother does in Pocahontas County, WV- nearest neighbor is 3/4 mile away- close enough for me! [:)]

Saving up to move to NH. Not many jobs up there, though......
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...rural living all the way...happyness is being able to pee of your front porch in the morning and not having anyone there to see you...
View Quote

Why is suburbia suddenly looking good again?.... [%|]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am wondering, just out of curiosity, who is who on this board. So far, it seems there are more urbanites(or rather, suburbanites) than the rural resident. But I could be wrong.

To those who live in the country (i.e. can't see into neighbor's window) - do you like it? It has some appeal to me right now.

View Quote

Naw, stay in the city, you wouldn't like it here..

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=12046[/img]

Looking out my Front door... [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I live and work in the western suburbs of Denver, but I do retire to a 160 acre parcel on weekends with 100, 300, & 500 yard rifle range.

I think I have the best of both worlds, Cable modem during the week and peace? and quiet?, (shooting and ATV's) on weekends.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#17]
im not in the middle of 100,000 acres or anything, but i can

1.  piss off my front porch and have nobody around to be offended (yes, there is a strange freedom to being able to do this)

2.  take any one of my guns and fire them from the front porch and have nobody give a shit

these two are paramount, i couldnt live anywhere where i couldnt do these two things
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
(snip)

I don't mind having a five minute drive to: three gun stores, the post office, the mall, and every resturant known to God.

It's less than five miles to work, my church, the movie theaters, a lake ....
View Quote

Exactly the same as for me in Massachusetts, oddly enough.

But I do have to drive exactly 60 minutes to get to my shooting range - public land that allows me 300 yard and beyond shots.
View Quote

The rod & gun club I am a member of is 12 miles away, with a 200 yd rifle range and has a pistol range and enclosed shooting houses. Nice in the winter or in rain! Class III allowed, all firearms welcome. There is a closer range, two miles away, but it's run by a bunch of drunks who are more interested in the clubhouse than in the range. Guns + alcohol = poster boys for gun control!

I drive two hours to downtown Los Angeles or San Diego, an hour to Palm Springs and four to Las Vegas (five on a Friday).
View Quote

~1 hr from Boston, 3-4 hrs from NYC. American revolution started here. History everywhere here-liberals be damned!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#20]
  Although I still live in town, and would much rather live in the sticks. My area is decent. I live on a dead end road, have woods on the front of the hous on the other side of the road, and a creek that runs through the back yard.  We have all kinds of rabbits, woodchucks and even had deer bear, and we can fish in the creek.  

Bad parts abotu where I live;;;  since its the city, we cant soot in the back yard, However if were just looking to fire off a few shots we can go behing the coal breaker(about 800yards the way a crow flies) and shoot into the dirt piles without any kind of hassle.  We arent country enough caus most of the chicks around here are still stuck up.

The good parts about where I live;;; Less the 2 miles to access 2 major highways and 1 interstate..  The store is only a few minute drive.  There are 4 bars within walking distance (NO DUI)  I can walk about a mile out of town and go deer, rabbit, and bear hunting on the side of the mountain.  If you archery hunt, people get some slammer buck around here.

So I quess our town is country closely surrounded(2sides) by city.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#21]
The preacher man says its the end of time
And the Mississippi River shes a goin dry
The interest is up and the stock markets down
And you only get mugged if you go down town
I live back in the woods you see
My woman and the kids and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive
I can plow a field all day long
I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
Ain't too many things these ole boys can't do
We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you can't starve us out and you can't make us run
Cause when them ole boy raised on shotgun
We say grace and we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn

We came from the West Virginia coal mines
  And the Rocky Mountains and the Western Skies
And we can skin a buck we can run a trot line

I had a good friend in New York City
He never called me by my name just HillBilly
  My GrandPa taught me to live off the land
And his taught him to be a business man
He used to send me pictures of the Broadway Night
And I'd send him some homemade wine
But he was killed by a man with a switch blade knife
For forty three dollars my friend lost his life
I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye
And shoot em' with my ole 45
Cause a country boy can survive

Were from North California and South Alabam
      And little towns all around this land
       And we can skin a buck and run a trot line
Country boy can survive
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#22]
The town I've lived in for the last 17 yrs. has no stoplights.  Until about 5 years ago the side roads entering Main Street were all YIELD signs.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#23]
10 acres here. Stay in the city, it's getting too crowded in the country.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Suburbanite...  although I have 1/2 an acre.  Too much grass to mow.
View Quote

if you think 1/2 acre is too much then you wouldn't want to see my yard (2+ acres of grass, 7.5 acres total). I do like to walk around in the back where no one can see me, I could even go naked if I wanted to. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread needs a poll....

Anyway, I live about a mile from downtown Ft. Lauderdale, two miles from the beach, and about a mile & a half from the ghetto.  I moved here from Western Broward county, and I love this area.  Despite the fags, yuppies (the Bentley dealership is a mile from me, Ferrari & porsche two blocks), and occasional ghetto kid picking mangos from the neighbor's yard, it's great.  There are a million things to do in any direction.  I live right across the street from a park with soccer fields, 24 clay tennis courts, a jogging track, and the local gunshow is within walking distance.  I live in a 2/2 duplex with a small yard for my dog, and my neighbor is a redneck boat plumber that builds RC trucks from 6hp go-cart engines.
I don't understand for the life of me why anyone would live anywhere West of I95 in Broward county.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Small community, 4000.
Five bars, three churches, and two stop lights.
Three places to shoot within five minutes of my house.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Grew up in the country.

After college, lived in the city awhile.

Moved back to the country for 3 years.

Than back to the city while my wife & I had kids.

Now we are trying to build a house on a 62 acre parcel we own in the country.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Country? Country don't begin until you get south of the Mason Dixon line, geographically speaking.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#30]
10,000  total population in the county.   100 miles either direction to a mall or city.
shoot in your backyard or at the WMA
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#31]
horse ranch...out in the country.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
horse ranch...out in the country.
View Quote

Temporary city resident until I get that college degree.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#33]
We live in western Mass. Nice small rural town.
20 minutes any direction to the nearest town for groceries, gas etc. Have 3 acres, and unfortunately
1 neighbor who doesn't think pigs are raised in the country. Have dairy farm down the road. I would never go back to living in a city.
MrsWildweasel
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I live on a farm and ranch in south eastern idaho and I used to be able to shoot any direction I wanted but now the damn houses are going up around me faster than the weeds can grow, Idaho aint as great as it used to be there are 5 acre lots for sale everywere.
Bearlaker can probably vouch for me that the new home constuction is going nuts in the IDA MONT and UT area that they cant build houses fast enough for all the new people moving here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We live in western Mass. Nice small rural town.
(snip)Have 3 acres, and unfortunately
1 neighbor who doesn't think pigs are raised in the country.
View Quote

Ah yes, probably somebody from Boston or NYC who "wanted to get away from it all". [rolleyes] They ruined rural central MA. The town I'm in used to have, for example, a rod & gun club, but the newcomer yuppies ran it out of town. These kinds of people, despite what they say, ALWAYS want to bring along the "conveniences" of urban life with them, starting with more PD and fire, EMTs, improve the schools, and the taxes eventually go through the roof. And, because word gets out, more of them show up. Surprise! The very reason they moved here is now gone, because there are now so damned many of them.

I could advocate the following, but I won't: Do yourself a favor- when this guy isn't home, burn his house down. Maybe he'll get the message. You have nothing to lose but your lifestyle, if you don't.

Nope- I did not advocate the above.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quiet neighborhood, nearest neighbor is about 100 feet away.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I live in the sticks, so to speak.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=569&iGalleryUnq=140&iImageUnq=14028[/img]

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I live on a couple of acres. Neighbors moving in all around me now. Will be time to sell and move farther out soon. Can't see the appeal to living in town. Especially where one can stand on his front porch and pee over on his neighbors house.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bearlaker can probably vouch for me that the new home constuction is going nuts in the IDA MONT and UT area that they cant build houses fast enough for all the new people moving here.
View Quote

Yes, sad but true.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I agree, you wouldnt like the country.  There is nothing to do out here [:)]  I actually live in a city of 53000 right now but when I get the money we'll get something in the middle of no where (which isnt hard to find in WY).  Its a great place to live.  You have decent shopping for the wife but you still have a small town feeling.

Here is a pic of my Son and I on his first birthday.
[img]http://www.cheyennepaintball.com/images/trent/DSC01733.JPG[/img]
My son on a pony at one of the local ranches.
[img]http://www.cheyennepaintball.com/images/trent/DSC01734.JPG[/img]
My son playing with his first pair of cowboy boots [:)]
[img]http://www.cheyennepaintball.com/images/trent/DSC01753.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is a pic from my front porch taken last fall. I have a thirty mile drive to work but it is worth it in the long run. I can't pee off of the front porch but I can from the back deck. I have deer,bear,and turkey here. Last fall I walked outside and there was a 300 pound bear standing behind my truck. Just this evening I was doing a little target practice in my front yard. You gotta love the country.

[img]http://community.webshots.com/sym/image6/8/3/77/78180377ojIKNP_ph.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm suburban/urban but desperately want to move to the country.

If I won the lotto tomorrow I'd be off to
WY,ID,MT or maybe eastern WA.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Considering the fact that I blasted off a few rounds in the general vicinity of 6 squirrels on my bird feeder hanging from the front porch today, I imagine I can be classified as kuntry.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I live on the outer fringe of the city. I hate cities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top