Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/23/2003 4:58:08 AM EDT
I work as a bail bondsman & our office is right across the street from the Brazos county jail. It was about 3:30 a.m. & I was watching some crap on the history channel, & I heard Officer McGinny on the outside speaker asking is it poisonous? I put the tv on mute, & tried to hear what was being said by the 2 officers in the jail entrance. I could see something long on the ground by the 1 officer, & I assumed it was a rattler based on what I did manage to hear through the glass of my office. I jumped up, & headed out the door, & I asked as I crossed the street if it was a rattler. The officer closest said no it's a scarlet something or other. I looked at it & said a scarlet king snake, & went through the red next to black, your ok jack, red next to yellow your a dead fellow, & satisfied myself it was safe to catch. I asked the cops if I could keep it, & McGinny said sure, take it home over the outside speaker. I couldn't get it close to the head as it keep trying to bite me, so one officer whipped out his collapsible baton & pinned it down for me. I picked up my long desired prize & was about to head back to my office, when a female officer came outside, & when she saw me she said is that a snake? I said yes, & she began to backpedaled rapidly, gun & all hehehe[lol]. To me it seems silly that someone toten a pistol, & baton, who's job is to face dangerous people, are scared to death of the little & slow creature such as a snake. I brought it to the office, & put it in some plastic food container. After it had settled down for a while, I opened the lid to have a look. As soon as it realized it was off it tried to escape but I grabbed it before it could get off my desk, & the little fart bit me on the hand! It didn't hurt, & It didn't bleed at all. I've been bit by garter snakes that were much worse. I would love to keep it as a pet, but ever since 1 of my 22 baby rattlers got loose in the house the wife has ended all my fun, for good[:(]when it comes to snakes. It is a real beauty though with it's bright red, yellow, & black markings. Truly nice to look at. I showed it to her this morning, & she started grousing right away, about not a chance, so I will see if my brother wants it. I may just exert my dominance & keep it, but frankly the pleasure of having it would be greatly outweighed by my wife's constant whining, & complaining about it being here.[:(!] Anyway it is something I have wanted to catch for a long time, so good for me. I will probably get a snake catchers rep with the Bryan police after this event also.[:D]which is just fine with me. I would love it if they called me whenever they had a snake that need to be caught.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:07:13 AM EDT
To quote Bill Engvall: "Snakes are evil. They're from the Devil. It's in the Bible." P.S. Search, you're nuts. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:09:00 AM EDT
And you said your job was boring! [;)] Sounds cool, but I do do snakes. It's not a phobia, they just don't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:14:57 AM EDT
Thumbs up SFT, Snakes are one of the most misunderstood yet beneficial creatures on this planet. Glad to see someone else out there has a soft spot for them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:17:58 AM EDT
The other way to tell if it is a coral snake, is the bands completely circle it's body. I have caught two desert coral snakes here in AZ, then let them go away from populated areas. Usualy catch and release about six rattlers a year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:24:28 AM EDT
I would love to keep it as a pet, but ever since 1 of my 22 baby rattlers got loose in the house...
View Quote
The only way I'll visit your house is with my 590 slung over my shoulder. [shock]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:28:40 AM EDT
Good snakes are dead snakes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:30:04 AM EDT
Send him to me! Marian and I will give him a good home!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:33:54 AM EDT
snakes! yum! [^]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:54:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 5:57:32 AM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
Originally Posted By marvl:
I would love to keep it as a pet, but ever since 1 of my 22 baby rattlers got loose in the house...
View Quote
The only way I'll visit your house is with my 590 slung over my shoulder. [shock]
View Quote
That loose rattler was in Wisconsin, my home here is all clear, so you would be safe, but you & your niffty shotgun are both welcome to visit any time![:D] QuietShootr, if you are serious I will consider sending it. We just have to figure out how to do it in a safe manner for the snakey pooh.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:58:41 AM EDT
Pics!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:06:10 AM EDT
If I can find a way to get a picture on the computer I will.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:45:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Old_Painless: To quote Bill Engvall: "Snakes are evil. They're from the Devil. It's in the Bible." P.S. Search, you're nuts. [:D]
View Quote
Name it "Fluffy"
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Belfry_Express:
Originally Posted By Old_Painless: To quote Bill Engvall: "Snakes are evil. They're from the Devil. It's in the Bible." P.S. Search, you're nuts. [:D]
View Quote
Name it "Fluffy"
View Quote
LOL. Girls voice: "Fluffy can wrap around us while we make love." Bill mimicking girls voice, "No he can't. Cause I'll kill him."
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:35:20 AM EDT
Snakes are cool I hate spiders though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:37:03 AM EDT
here is shipping reptiles FAQ.. [url]http://www.pythons.com/ship.html[/url] King snakes are my favorite, nice catch! I own 4(kings) myself, 3 california kings, and one albino prarie king. i have a bunch of others too. post pics!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:23:15 PM EDT
You keep snakes in your house? Poisonous snakes?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:36:07 PM EDT
calling Marian now...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:24:38 PM EDT
Marion the librarian said no as she did so often in the Music Man. You should have sang her a love song 1st then asked if you could add to the family QuietShootr! I gave it to my sisters boyfriend 15 minuets ago. Keep buttering her up, & I keep my eyes open for another one.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2003 8:45:31 PM EDT by Camel]
When red touches black, you're alright Jack, when red tuches yellow, you're a dead fellow.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:03:13 PM EDT
That is one of the most busiest posts I've tried to read in a long time here.
Top Top