Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 8:27:53 PM EDT
Here's what I want to do.

I want to install an OS and an application or two on the puter and then burn the image to a DVD. I want to run some tests, screw around, break things, and then reinstall the original image from the DVD so I end up with exactly the same environment that I started with.

I'm looking at the Sony DRU-510A DVD burner and PowerQuest Drive Image 7 software.

Am I cool?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'd be better off with multiple partitions on the same hard drive, or using two hard drives.
If you hose one partition, you can use safe mode or a diskette to get to a good partition or switch drives.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, I'll look at Ghost too.

Part of the deal is I want to have a number of DVDs, some with Win2k, others with XP Pro and Win98, and I want to be able to restore the images at will with as little BS as possible. I figured multiple hard disks would be too much of a PITA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine does development in a number of environments. What he did was to get a removable drive chassis in his tower and then just have 4 drive modules with 4 different OSes. He would configure each OS and then Ghost that install. This way he can switch between operating systems quickly but each one is a clean setup (no dual booting, multiple partitions or things like that). If he hoses one he just restores it from the ghosted images he keeps on a 5th fixed internal HD for just that purpose.

With the prices of drives today this is not too expensive since you really don't need a large drive for development/testing purposes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top