Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 8:02:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:15:04 PM EDT
I got one for Christmas last year. My dad picked it up at Big 5 for like 150 bucks. I think mine has like a 150 lbs. pull on it. Fun as hell to shoot, especially around the camp, just make sure you know what your shooting at because the arrows can be a bitch to get out of harder backdrops. Mine kind of looks like the one on the bottom without the paint job and pulleys and it has a different scope, cheapie Weaver.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:36:32 PM EDT
[url]http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/profile.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:37:39 PM EDT
I have a Whammo brand from about 1965- the lady at Whammo wanted to 'disagree' with me - she kept claiming they'd never made a crossbow. I wanted a manual, I think she was afraid I was going to sue them or something from the way she acted. I'm like "lady- I'm looking right at the Whammo label on the thing" She's all "we [b]never[/b] made a cross bow." aka 'we've purged all incriminating documentation.'
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:13:04 PM EDT
The best one would seem to be this one: Buckmaster Maxpoint [url]http://www.thebowman.com/mall/cxbow_NAA.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:32:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:29:38 AM EDT
I had a Barnett pistol type for a while it was ok. But for the most part in Maine their a waste of time and money as you can only use them for target practice. Illegal for ANY type of hunting and the wardens just hate to see them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:35:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 2:36:19 AM EDT by Demordrah]
[url=http://www.budkww.com/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=CB30&subject=H&catpos=99999]150lb. Trailblazer Crossbow[/url] Edited to add: it's only $99
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:41:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 4:41:59 AM EDT by Slacker]
Originally Posted By melo: I had a Barnett pistol type for a while it was ok. But for the most part in Maine their a waste of time and money as you can only use them for target practice. Illegal for ANY type of hunting and the wardens just hate to see them.
View Quote
IIRC, they are legal in Maine for a handicapped person to hunt with DURING bow season. They are not legal for Joe schmoe to hunt with at any time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:27:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:26:07 PM EDT
I have one, but I used it so often, that I broke the string and am too lazy to get a new one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:29:34 PM EDT
If I can find a decent one, for a reasonable price, I would get one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:41:48 PM EDT
Hey I just bought one last night online because of this thread. I bought a Trident II pistol crossbow with 75-lb draw weight. Should be fun (and silent). Check out this statement: [url]http://www.southsummit.com/crossbows.html[/url] Scroll down to the last one.
At 50 yards, this crossbow [180-lb draw weight] has more penetrating power than a 30.06 rifle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:57:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ilikelegs: I just want one to have as another weapon. No hunting planned for it. I like it because its EVIL looking. They will try and ban these next. So I want one and will get one soon. Thanks for all the replies.
View Quote
When I was younger, and DUMBER, I wanted one too. [;)] You can hunt hogs with it. Non-game animals. However, I cringe to think what a jury would say/do/think if that was held up in front of them. You do NOT want this as anything other than a semi-amusing toy. FWIW, I never thought it was a good idea to cock a crossbow by placing your foot in the direct path of the bolt. OUCH! One slip and 'Hast La Vista' big toe! TRG PS. Get the first one, the Barnett. It has more room for your rainbow stickers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:07:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat: ... I never thought it was a good idea to cock a crossbow by placing your foot in the direct path of the bolt. OUCH! One slip and 'Hast La Vista' big toe...
View Quote
I know of no way to cock a crossbow with a bolt in it. Anyway, I have a Barnett pistol cross bow just for target practice, but really wouldn't mind getting a bigger one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:33:17 PM EDT
I have a Barnett Wildcat Xl (the 150# skeleton stock one) & a couple of those cheesy pistol ones with the all plastic bolts that you always see for sale at the gunshows/flea markets. Fun to play with but I wouldn't trust it for anything serious. I'd like to eventually get a SCA style medievel crossbow just for grins. A crew served scorpion (ballista) would be neat. Nothing like launching broomhandle sized bolts[:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:54:34 PM EDT
Top Top