Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That picture is from a series, taken by a doctor for documentation from day 3 after the bite.  Standard treatment is supportive for the most part.  Venom quantity is so small and there are no antivenoms available so the damage is allowed to run its course.  Fortunately the damage is usually limited to the dermal layers but its full thickness, requiring in many cases skin grafting to repair the damage.  After 2 weeks, the damage has demarked and any necrotic tissue is debrided from the site, a process not unlike burn treatment.

There is a doctor who claims excellent results using electric shock.  He uses an old-fashioned stun gun (no kidding) wired to direct the current as deep as possible.  He claims the local pain is well-tolerated by the patient as the existing pain is almost unbearable.

Please note, not everyone has the same reaction to bites and there is considerable variability in a bite.  Some express as nothing more than a insect sting while others are like that pictured.  

Killing all spiders is unnecessary.  The insect control of these animals is a necessary part of the environment.  Now if spiders peryed on Fire Ants, I would have them all around.  I once had a freaking colony of these insects swarm in my closet, guarding their queen.  I found them in hanging clothes, fortunately before I had put any of the clothing on.  There were ~2 pounds of the buggers.

I found out by accident that Tilex soap scum remover kill ants. Not the bleach stuff but the dibutyl ether stuff.  Of course Raid would have done better.  Damn dead ants clogged the drain on the bath tub.  Yes, there were cups full of dead fire ants.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I LOVE raid. The stuff is like cyanide that only works on insects.
A centepede with a burst of this stuff falls apart at the seams momentarily. Ants curl up an die instantly from a tiny amount in the vecinity. Roaches take 10 seconds or so from my experiences (The large 2+ inch ones take maybe 30 seconds from a short spray).
Oh, and when you spray some of this stuff around your house liberally, insects tend to keep away for months.

I use it every spring and fall when it wears off.

BTW, for a wound like that, why wouldnt the guy use maggots? They eat all the dead and rotting flech, and ONLY the dead and rotting flech. Wounds are clean as a whistle after a round of these guys. Most hospitals in the US(and many in europe) stock these (The stocked ones are 'sterile', IE: the flies laying them havent been digging in feces)
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Damn dead ants clogged the drain on the bath tub.  Yes, there were cups full of dead fire ants.
View Quote

Not much kills ants in drains faster than liquid soap.  touch them with it and the get to visit the great ant colony in the sky.  It pretty much stops them from breathing.

Ant traps are helpful to control the problem, but in the summer at my house...they are all over as well.  Fortunantely not fire ants, though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
When our troops get home, let's send all these bad boy spiders to Iraq to clean up the population a bit.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
And people wonder why I never, ever, EVER wear shorts, here in Florida.

If they read this thread, NOW they know.

By preference, I normally wear BDU trousers (they're so comfortable and lots of pockets rock!
and I do tie up the blousing straps around my legs
to make a bugproof seal, down on my socks.

I'm also pretty quick to kick over something before grabbing for it because spiders are everywhere here, as are all other types of bugs.

Some spiders are welcome here.  We get beautiful Argiopes living out front off the vines, and with luck, they grow fat and huge, with abdomens the size of a grape and a four inch leg span.  They are like a blowtorch on the bug population, and it's really cool when they start bouncing their web as a threat display or to sweep the air for bugs to catch.

Anything dangerous and with more legs than my dog, DIES.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
http://spiders.ucr.edu/

Lots of peer reviewed information.

Photo's of spiders but not much gore.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went down to my workshop the other week and found this fugly thing (4" wide belt, btw...)

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=12734[/url]

He had several friends.  They came over a two week span and had liberally applied webbing to most of the shop.  I hate spiders.
View Quote

Dude, that looks very much like a black widow. It has the glossy black color, abdomen shape and legs characteristic of them. Although I couldn't get a close enough look at it's belly for red markings, I'd be willing to bet it is a black widow. I hope it and it's friends were promptly met with overwhelming physical force and extreme prejudice!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The Daddy-longlegs (Pholcus phalangioides) are actually spiders.  Also contrary to popular belief they are not venomous.  As stated by Dr. Robert G. Breene -- Entomologist
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top