Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2003 7:54:15 PM EDT
Who here does not like that metal flavored fake tasting crap?  Besides the taste, arn't there some problems with it?  Like, never give it to small children, as it can mess them up.  Possibly put them into a coma.

Has anyone heard about that and other problems?

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
uh yeah it causes cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!in lab rats(for now)*edit* use pure honey as a sweetner,,it is actually good for you,,or use unrefined brown sugar..
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Many problems with it.  
If heated above 180 deg. F. it turns into formaldehyde which is quite poisonous.  In some people, it causes various neurological problems up to and including loss of consciousness, disorientation, among other problems.  A friend of mine who was a well known physician used to pass out if he ingested any of it.
STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Who here does not like that metal flavored fake tasting crap? Besides the taste, arn't there some problems with it? Like, never give it to small children, as it can mess them up. Possibly put them into a coma.
View Quote

It does taste like crap some people claim it causes headaches and other unproven neurological problems but if it put small children in comas it would be banned. But IMO it has serious problems.

It is my understanding is Nutrasweet is made with formaldehyde and you should not cook with it because over 150 degrees it begins to break down. I will not use it at all.

There is a new no-calorie sweetener made from sugar called sucralose sold under the brand name Splenda. It tastes good and you can cook with it. Diet-Rite drinks are made with is as are a lot of new no sugar products.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything causes cancer in lab rats.  That's what happened to Sacharrin.

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Years ago, when it first came out, I tried it and did get a headache if I drank more than one can of Nutrasweet flavored soda. It took a while to correlate it because I couldn't believe something approved by the FDA could do that (naive wasn't I). I swore off artificial sweetners for a long time, but recently tried sucralose (Splenda) and had no problems with it.
I agree that Nutrasweet has a funny taste, but it sure beat the hell out of saccharin. To me sucralose tastes as close to sugar as you can get on today's market. I just hope they don't discover any "side effects" down the road.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I love Aspertame, and I only drink diet sodas. I can't handle American Coke/Pepsi, the sugar-beet based sweetner they use, feels like a "coat" of slime left on my tongue. In Europe, they use a sugarcane based sweetner, that gives Coke a very different taste. Also there, there is no "diet" sodas, only "Coke-Lite", which really isn't.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bilster
View Quote

Yeaaaahhh,,,, caused cancer after they injected 4 times the rat's bodyweight of the stuff into 'em.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bilster
View Quote

Yeaaaahhh,,,, caused cancer after they injected 4 times the rat's bodyweight of the stuff into 'em.
View Quote

Aint junk science grand!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
It ain't so bad.

I sprinkle some on the back of toads before I lick 'em - kills some of the bitterness. [:X*]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I use Splenda .... which is derived from sugar.  Lower cal, carbs, and tastes very close to sugar. Aspartame (nutra sweet) doesn't taste very good but when you've got type 1 diabetes sometimes its the best choice (when splenda isn't available).
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Plenty sweet, no aftertaste, zero carbs, safe for diabetics....the way to go....sugar what?

[img]http://www.splenda.com/images/splenda/home/phspfamily.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:23:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I love it.  I've drunk Diet Coke for over 15 years with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:51:49 AM EDT
[#14]
It will turn you into a werewolf!
[img]http://www.werewolftv.com/images/partpic.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone heard that it can realign your sexual orientation?  

Something like the werewolf problem.

Other problems I have heard is it can raise the dead to zombies, similar worstishire sauce.
Acute vampirism, canabalism, and clownism are some of the others. [:D]

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love Aspertame, and I only drink diet sodas. I can't handle American Coke/Pepsi, the sugar-beet based sweetner they use, feels like a "coat" of slime left on my tongue. In Europe, they use a sugarcane based sweetner, that gives Coke a very different taste. Also there, there is no "diet" sodas, only "Coke-Lite", which really isn't.
View Quote

American Coke actually uses 2 different sweeteners.  If you look at the cap, a Yellow cap means Kosher (and I believe sugarcane, but not sure), so it tastes different because it uses a different sweetener than the white cap.

Never realized this till a Jewish friend pointed it out at a picnic once.  Try the yellow cap stuff.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I see this all the time.  There are some people who do have an alergic reaction to aspartame and those people are the ones who give rise to most of the urban legends.  

See http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blasp.htm for some info.  

I personally like nutrasweet because without it I would be a very unhappy camper.  I have been a type I diabetic since 12yrs old (so for 19 years now) and in that time I have consumed massive quantities of nutrasweet and other artificial sweetners.  No ill effects yet and it makes the diabetes bearable.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep, I used to be as queer as a 5 legged dog, but thanks to diet coke, I'm straight as an arrow!

Quoted:
Has anyone heard that it can realign your sexual orientation?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It makes me dizzy, so I stay away from it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a chemistry teacher in high school that had done a lot of research on Nutrasweet.

He told us that the stuff breaks down into wood alcohol in your stomach, which of course is toxic.

Anybody know if there's any truth behind that?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a chemistry teacher in high school that had done a lot of research on Nutrasweet.

He told us that the stuff breaks down into wood alcohol in your stomach, which of course is toxic.

View Quote

No, there is no truth to it.  It sounds like his "research" consisted of reading the hand-waving Chicken Little webpages that the Urban Legends website talked about.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

He must subscribe to "Bad Living" magazine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who here does not like that metal flavored fake tasting crap?  Besides the taste, arn't there some problems with it?  Like, never give it to small children, as it can mess them up.  Possibly put them into a coma.

Has anyone heard about that and other problems?

Bilster
View Quote

Funny thing about Aspartame is that supposedly your body reacts the same to it as it does sugar.  The only difference is that its 1000 times sweeter than sugar so less is required...and therefore a smaller reaction.  It doesn't make it a very practical diet drink or sweetner for that same reason.  Insulin dumped into your blood leads to fat storage rather than consumption.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been drinking the diet Hansens with Splenda. It's definitely different-sometimes I notice an aftertaste the next day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top