Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2003 5:57:17 PM EDT
My wife is buying me a set for my birthday and I see alot of guys at the range using the Tac6S, but I've never used electronic hearing protection before. Is the Tac6S a good choice? I see it only has a NRR of 19. I usually use NRR 30.

Any advice and links on good hearing protection?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are awesome ear protectors. I have a pair and they work very well. You will be happy with them!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one also. They work pretty good for me. They shut down fast to cut out the impulse noise, and switch back on fast so that you can follow a conversation. Some of those electronic headsets don't come on fast enough to adequately hear conversations. The problem I have with them is that there is no visual to confirm the position of dials whether the headset is on or off, and left them on and of course it drains the batteries.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple of dots of red nail polish or paint on each volume switch fixes the indicator issue really quickly and easily.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been "eyeing" a pair myself!

Maybe I should put them on my gift list so my wife could get me a pair![:D]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
They do look appealing. Right now I am using Peltor Presidents and they are nice. Low tech, but nice.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm conserned about them only having a NRR of 19. Anybody know of a better pair?

I'm thinking that because electronic protectors also amplify all sounds but cut off at high decimials, they would be ideal in a situation where you think you might have an intruder in your house. You slip these on and grab your ar15 and because they amplify sound it could help indentifying the threat while saving your ears from the punishment of firing a .223 round inside of your house!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Try a set of Com Tacs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have Remingtons NRR 31.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm conserned about them only having a NRR of 19. Anybody know of a better pair?

I'm thinking that because electronic protectors also amplify all sounds but cut off at high decimials, they would be ideal in a situation where you think you might have an intruder in your house. You slip these on and grab your ar15 and because they amplify sound it could help indentifying the threat while saving your ears from the punishment of firing a .223 round inside of your house!
View Quote

Its not a "big" issue. 19 is perfectly FINE for shooting. Shit, those foam things that you put in your ears are only about a NRR of 10. Now, if you ALSO need them for continued use (like if you constantly work in close proximity to jet engines) you might want to think about getting a higher rating.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a set of these and they are quite nice.

I took a urban rifle course, and there were 18 people shooting at the same time, and they blocked everything out perfectly.

And to complement that, when shooters were down range (100 yards) stapling targets and talking in normal voices, I could hear as if I was down there with them.

For $130 bucks, you can't go wrong.

Don't be turned off by the NRR.  I read a review that showed this performed BETTER than some of the higher rated models.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top