Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2003 4:43:50 PM EDT
I had a power window on my drivers door stop working in the open position a while back, & since I'm not mechanically inclined I was hesitant to mess with it. I also was not working so I didn't have the cash to take it to a pro. My dad who normally helps me in this area was out of town for 3 weeks at the time, & when he got back it took another 2 weeks before he was able to come over & help me. So now my window has been all the way down for about 5 weeks. I got out of a few things I didn't want to do when it was raining, I kept it parked under a large oak to keep it dry, no prob.
So my dad comes to the rescue, & we get the door panel off, & remove the paper cover. I had planed on using the ideas that Imbroglio had given my in my how do I fix this post about it.
We got to the point of the next major step, & I said to my dad it's time to hammer it! He said do you mean I should hook up the cables & give it the juice. I said no, hit the motor a couple of times with a hammer. He rolled his eyes[rolleyes], & said yea,..ok. Then he tapped it lightly 3 times with the flat pry bar we used to help remove the door panel. Then he backed off with a slight grin on his face, & said, well I'll let you try it. I stepped into the jimmy,turned the key, & picked up the strip with the window buttons, & pushed the driver window button, & wa la up it went! We couldn't believe it, & we still chuckle when we tell someone about the big repair job we did. My dad is convinced I had a divine inspiration. Me I figure I just fixed it the way I do most mechanical objects, Hammer it.[:D}
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You probably just had some fouling on the motor brushes.  This is not that uncommon.  However, it may also be that the brushes are quite worn and not making proper contact leaving you with the need to replace the motor shortly.  Good luck with it...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I suggest pulling the power from the motor or pulling the fuse before you accidentally lower the window and get it stuck again in the down position.  In my wife's car, it took me several hours to get her window back up then less than a week later, she accidentally lowered it.  You don't want that to happen again.  You might not be as lucky next time.z
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
You can count on it screwing ya again at a time that is the most devestating....like after a cop hands ya a ticket for your licence plate lamp being out(we all know how dangerous it is driving with one of those out!!)thru the window in a torential rain storm.....guess what... your window won't go back up....hehehe [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
i has to replace one of those in my 99 Z71 after the cable broke.

of corse no junk yard had one available so i had to shell out 200 bucks for a new one.

thank god i was able to put it in myself.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Man, I'll bet that had to hurt!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#9]
We left the door panel off for a week, & had no further problems. & the panel has been back on for over a month now, & no problems.[:D] I put it up & down every time I go somewhere because my air conditioning is out, & I need the air flow. I was thinking a 2 pound mall might fix the air![BD]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]
You can do the same thing to your starter when it starts to go out.  A couple of taps with a hammer while trying to crank it will get you a few more cranks (assuming you can get to your starter).
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#11]
One car, I had the electric window stick in the down position.  Put it down to toss the extortion, I mean, toll into the basket.  Then it started raining, real hard.

Another car, the electric window got stuck in the up position.  Got stopped for what the officer thought (wrong) was an expired inspection sticker.  I couldn't make the window go down, and he got unglued when I opened the door.

I HATE electric windows.  They should have a crank backup.  Even electric locks will work manually.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Ummmmmm, so searcher????

What do you use when you can't get it up???  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#13]
The hammer trick, that's an oldie but goodie. You still need to replace the motor, but at least the window is closed until you can get a new one. It's not too difficult to replace if you like to do your own repairs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man, I'll bet that had to hurt!
View Quote

its amazing what can happen with just a few beers [%|]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top