Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2016 11:26:16 PM EDT
So we got belt fed 5.56 uppers and a semi auto SAW, that's cool but not all that practical IMO.  In the event of SHTF, you can lay down pretty much the same suppressive fire with box mags and drums. Mag changes are a snap with ARs whereas changing belts notsomuch.

Same thing with the new 9mm beltfed coming out.

However a belt fed 12ga would offer something that is a game changer!  Neva been dun befo' (commercially, that homemade contraption on youtube doesn't count).  Who else would buy one?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds practical.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Why? So we can pay $2k-$4k. for a semi-auto belt fed 12 gauge?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Sort of want
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that brake timed correctly?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I removed the image. I thought i'd seen a belt fed Saiga 12 before, but looking at that picture i'm pretty sure someone just stuck a belt into a normal old saiga and called it a belt fed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]

I'll be in my bunk.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So we got belt fed 5.56 uppers and a semi auto SAW, that's cool but not all that practical IMO.  In the event of SHTF, you can lay down pretty much the same suppressive fire with box mags and drums. Mag changes are a snap with ARs whereas changing belts notsomuch.

However a belt fed 12ga would offer something that is a game changer!  Neva been dun befo' (commercially, that homemade contraption on youtube doesn't count).  Who else would buy one?
View Quote

I had this idea about a semi-auto rifle/shotgun.
There are two barrels on top of each other. The top barrel is for a 5.56 bullet and the bottom is for a 12 gauge shotgun.
There's a gas piston connected to the top barrel that drives back the bolt for the rifle and the shotgun. Each trigger pull fires both a shotgun slug and rifle round at the same time.
There is one detachable magazine that holds both rifle cartridges and shotgun shells that loads in on the left hand side, like a Sten sub-machine gun. Casings of the rifle rounds and shotgun shells both extract out the right side.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I had an idea about that before, figured out how i'd do the belt link extraction and everything... but seriously never going to be practical. Maybe one day when I have my own CNC machine and am hopped up on diet-pepsi and gummy candies....
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I want one of these devices for my Ak's.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
12 ga Gatling gun would be cooler. Hand cranked, non NFA fun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sort of want
View Quote
+1

even a crank powered one

12ga is pretty much always available and reasonably cheap

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I always thought a 12ga mini gun would be perfect for perimeter defense. figure thousands of rounds per minute throwing out 9 pellets of 00 buck each round. Now that's a wall of lead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I bet the Russians would be happy to come out with a beltfed Vepr if their was a huge demand for them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bet the Russians would be happy to come out with a beltfed Vepr if their was a huge demand for them.
View Quote

I don't think they could come up with a goofy enough stock to meet the sporting purposes requirement for import.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've always thought a hand crank 12 GA gatling gun would be fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are two barrels on top of each other. The top barrel is for a 5.56 bullet and the bottom is for a 12 gauge shotgun.
There's a gas piston connected to the top barrel that drives back the bolt for the rifle and the shotgun. Each trigger pull fires both a shotgun slug and rifle round at the same time.
There is one detachable magazine that holds both rifle cartridges and shotgun shells that loads in on the left hand side, like a Sten sub-machine gun. Casings of the rifle rounds and shotgun shells both extract out the right side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Geoff over at ARES can improve on that design, but he needs a few thousand people to send him a $1k deposit and sign a contract that you may never get
it, and that he may change the definition of the upper at any time to make it illegal in your state so he can say he cannot sell it to you.

PS it may take well over 10 years for him to convey that last part.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't think they could come up with a goofy enough stock to meet the sporting purposes requirement for import.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Firewood stock with a 5rd belt.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember reading a LONG time ago in a book about an experimental belt fed 12ga. wpn developed for perimeter defense during the Vietnam war. Thought at the time that would be really bad ass but don't remember any details.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put the bottle down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#23]
This should have been posted in the Temple flash mob thread.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Scale down a Mk18 and crank till you're happy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#25]
The first thing that popped in my head was the scene from Rambo 2 with the M60 and shooting the shit out of the place but with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]

5 rounds short
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sounds practical.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:28:54 AM EDT
[#28]
You're right...

Just the other day some hard-charging HSLD drag operator was looking at an M240 and thinking, "Damn, this thing would be tits if its ammo were bigger, heavier, less reliable, and didn't shoot so far."

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:06:25 AM EDT
[#29]
The AA-12 is what you seek....

Jerry Baber is a master at gunsmithing.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:23:42 AM EDT
[#30]

I had Spoken with the inventor about this and I asked him what his plans were for releasing it. To make a long story short, I had made a thread trying to gauge the interest of members here to see if they were interested in a home builders kit.

The agreement was based upon how many people I was able to get on board with this idea. Needless to say the defeatists on this board killed the idea.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I always wondered about that YouTube gun. Looks kinda cool, I'd like to know more about it.

I have a partially built 12 gauge Gatling that will hopefully be belt fed...someday. I found some old 50 cal links that work with only slight modification. The delinker needs to pull them out instead of pushing and it just wasn't getting good enough grip on them. I think I have it figured out now but so many projects in my garage I have no idea when I'll get back to that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I was kinda looking at how to make a beltfed 1911.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Make it 10ga hand cranked deck mounted and silenced....

I have 1400 yds marked of my deck and I could just imagine walking slugs in on steel..
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

/thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're right...

Just the other day some hard-charging HSLD drag operator was looking at an M240 and thinking, "Damn, this thing would be tits if its ammo were bigger, heavier, less reliable, and didn't shoot so far."

/thread

You have your mission wrong son!

For LSHD applications!

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Fuck you...and everyone within 15m of you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Belt fed?  OK.  How would you like it?

Single shot, break open?
Pump action?
Semi-auto?
Side x side?
Over/Under.

Do you want it ported, forcing cone reamed out, backbored too?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Why not a belt fed....a 25 round drum is not nearly heavy enough, a 100 round belt would be much more useful. (Sarcasm)

I had a friend who owned one off the select fire shotguns that looked like a big AR15, and I got to fire it.  It was surprisingly controllable on full auto.  I do not know if it was the weight, design, or cyclic rate, bit it's recoil was considerably less than my Benelli M1Super 90...(I know the Benelli is known for stout recoil.).   My first thought was it would be just about perfect for jungle ambushes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I would bet something of the variety will be developed for small drone area denial in FOB's with an optical or radar tracker.

That is, until the little solid state lasers get good enough.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why not a belt fed....a 25 round drum is not nearly heavy enough, a 100 round belt would be much more useful. (Sarcasm)

I had a friend who owned one off the select fire shotguns that looked like a big AR15, and I got to fire it.  It was surprisingly controllable on full auto.  I do not know if it was the weight, design, or cyclic rate, bit it's recoil was considerably less than my Benelli M1Super 90...(I know the Benelli is known for stout recoil.).   My first thought was it would be just about perfect for jungle ambushes.
View Quote

Shockinly relevent

battlefield usas12
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Meh.

Less belt-fed shotgun, moar belt-carried shotgun.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

I can tell you my Saiga 12 with a stout forehand and a light trigger finger will bump right through all 12 rounds. Minimal recoil and very controllable.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Didn't we decide that shotguns were ineffective for defensive purposes?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top