Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2003 1:08:49 PM EDT
I seem to get emails from 2 different people on is for a date and the other is for penis enlargement.

they are getting sneaky because they say something dumb like missed your call

then I open it up for a ad to enlarge 3"
Like a moron I click to take me off the list and it takes me to some page showing before and after shots! WTF the internet is pretty sick.

so how can I do it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Disconnect your computer from the Internet.  It works every time!  A less effective solution is to download or purchase some SPAM software (do a Google search on SPAM filter).  You Internet Service Provider will ofter provide this type of software as part of your service.  Of course, Spammers work hard to get around those filters mainly by avoiding key words phrases.  You can also setup a custom filter if you Microsoft Outlook to automatically delete emails that have a certain subject line or come from a certain address.  It doesn't stop them from being sent, but you won't see them anymore.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are using a POP3 mail server, go to [url]www.mailwasher.net[/url] and download mailwasher, it lets you check the mail that is waiting on the mail server without downloading it.  You can then use the software to bounce the email back to the sender like you don't exist.  You can usually get rid of most spam with this in one to two weeks.  You can also configure the software to check your incoming email against the online spamlists and automaticly bounce them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
How about we find out who the spammers are and...
[b]KILL THEM![/b]

wait...that could get you in trouble.
You could get hollered at for doing that, really loud too.

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Mailwasher good!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are using a POP3 mail server, go to [url]www.mailwasher.net[/url] and download mailwasher, it lets you check the mail that is waiting on the mail server without downloading it.  You can then use the software to bounce the email back to the sender like you don't exist.  You can usually get rid of most spam with this in one to two weeks.  You can also configure the software to check your incoming email against the online spamlists and automaticly bounce them.
View Quote

Mailwasher is real good and I also would recommond it to everyone.  I just started using it a couple weeks ago and its a great program.  The mailwasher beta is a free version but only allows one email account but the mailwasher pro lets you add an unlimited number of accounts. And at 29 bucks, well worth it.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
There's no way to get rid of spam.  The closest you can get is to have good filtering set up.  For those who have their email on a Unix box, I recommend Bogofilter and Spamassassin.  The combination of these, called from .procmailrc has done a very good job of getting rid of spam.

Setting up a new email address can sometimes work, but it's a pain in the ass.  You have to keep doing that when the spam starts again, and notify everyone of the change each time you do.  Also, keep in mind that most free email services share their user lists with others and will eventually make it to spammers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Outlook 2003 (yep i have 2003) and it has a spam filter that actully works well for once. it however also has a nice feature that prevents emails from loading pictures, ect when previewed until i tell it to. the reason is in the image i linked below.
[img]http://www.knology.net/~nova5/graphics/misc/outlook.jpg[/img]

So even using the preview pane in ANY email reader except Outlook 2003 or ones that do this same function. you verify your email address by looking at the spam message. dirty tricks abound with the spammers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Microsoft is suing some major spammer fcks as we speak.

I think Nevada has an anti-spam law.  Anyone know what's up?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I usually hit the reply button about 60000 times and give them a dose of their own medicine. Sometime this does not work as the mail bounces. I rarely have any spam mail anymore, except from paypal. They bitch and whine about me closing my acount. They are a bunch Of anti second ammendment pricks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for Mailwasher.
Has anyone else noticed a sudden increase in the amount of spam they recieve over the last couple weeks?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I usually hit the reply button about 60000 times and give them a dose of their own medicine. Sometime this does not work as the mail bounces.
View Quote

Other times, the mail just goes to someone else.  It's very common that they forge the from address.  They just take some of the addresses from their list and put those as the from address.  Otherwise, it would be that much easier to block garbage coming from the same places all the time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
My AR15.com address is a unigue one I have never used anywhere else.  It's amazing how much trash email I get from places involving homosexual/Scat/liberal and other generally offensive sites.  A lot of them start out with "In answer to your request" type of subject lines.  Recieved as much as 40 at a time. Someone even signed me up on the Green Party national committee mailing list.

I notice a high correlation between several hotly debated threads and mail volume. Who is playing games?

Mailwasher.  Gotta have it,  the thing is amazing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top