Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/21/2003 5:51:01 AM EDT
I'm looking for a shed, 10'x8' or 10x'10', and I saw the ad for the heavy duty vinyl ones. I checked one out at Home Depot and it didn't look too bad as far as quality and durability. I like the fact that it requires no painting, shingles, etc. The prices I saw were from $600 to $800. Anyone have any info. thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:21:59 AM EDT
I helped put on up once. You need a good solid foundation. A solid 2x4/2x6 frame with thick plywood decking is about enough. Assembly is definitely a two (or more) person job. It seems to have held up well over the past year. The only place I've seen water come in was along the bottom edge. You might want to put some angled flashing & silicon down under the side rails to direct the water outside.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:31:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:16:38 PM EDT
Yup, got the 10'X10' model. For the foundation I used 4X4s with 3/4" plywood for the floor. It's great so far, not a single leak. Actually, I built it as a club house for my two kids. I installed the optional window and skylights. We sleep in it in the summer. I set it up with one of those inflatable beds, a tv and dvd player and the kids and I camp out in the back yard in it - really roughing it, huh? I used silicon between the steel u-channel frame and the foundation. You could do the foundation yourself, but it is definitely a two man job when it comes time to put up the steel skeleton, plastic wall and roof sections, and installing the doors.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:00:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:25:19 AM EDT
Got one at Home Depot (?) about 4 years ago. I like it because it seems sturdier that the light metal ones that are in the same price range. Built it on treated 2x4's and marine grade plywood floor. Went tgether real easy, my only problem was getting the metal framing on the floor square so the doors will shut properly. Took about 1/2 day to install after the floor was built. Karl
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:00:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2003 6:02:49 AM EDT by chaos4570]
Originally Posted By fireguy: I'm looking for a shed, 10'x8' or 10x'10', and I saw the ad for the heavy duty vinyl ones. I checked one out at Home Depot and it didn't look too bad as far as quality and durability. I like the fact that it requires no painting, shingles, etc. The prices I saw were from $600 to $800. Anyone have any info. thanks
View Quote
The downfalls to vinyl are that the sun does eat it up. 10 to 15 year old Vinyl siding gets brittle in these parts. you can put your finger through it.(This is why most local city building codes require PVC pipes that protrude through the roof to be painted or covered with lead caps) I would choose a metal or wood exterior in the Texas heat anyday. The big push now is for VINYL framed windows. A fellow would be smart to get in the business of Replacement windows about 10 to 15 years from now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:12:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2003 6:15:36 AM EDT by alpo]
Bought one of those a few years back at Lowes. Got it with the floor kit. The ground has to be real level otherwise you have problems putting the floor together, like I did. The shed pannels just slid together real nice. If I remember those pannels were several inches thick. Hollow in between of course. Holding up real good. edited to say: Mine is the 10 X 10
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:35:49 AM EDT
We picked up the rubbermaid type shed from Sam's. It is like 12 by 8 or so. It took use a couple of hours to put together, has 6 doors, 2 sky lights, and a built in floor. The only problem I have is the shelves suck and I am just to lazy to get some 2x4's to cut and reenforce them, but otherwise I think we did well for 700 bucks. Take a look at that if you get a chance.
Top Top