Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/21/2003 1:03:43 AM EDT
My lifestyle demands that I buy a camelback like device. Cost is a factor, but more so reliability. (And yes a simple gas mask is also on my list of of things to buy so that I will be prepared for the WTO meeting/ Democratic Presidental rally that is in my neck of the woods) Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:04:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2003 2:05:59 AM EDT by TigerStripe]
When you say "CamelBak- like" does that mean you can't afford an camelbak? What size? I've got one system, I don't know which one it is. BRB. It's a BlackHawk Hydrastorm Tidal Wave. It cost me @ $40. It goes for $39.95 according to BlackHawk's newest catalog. That's probably the lowest priced "name-brand" you could get. I don't mean BlackHawk's price, I mean the money/size/quality of it. There probably some generics out there that you might could get for less. TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:32:34 AM EDT
The MOLLE-issue Camelbak generally goes for about $30 or so if you hunt around. It is the 100-ounce kind, which is better than the 70-ounce ones, and usually comes with the rather essential on-off valve. I have used lots of Camelbaks, and have one of the MULE carriers as well, but I think I like the simpler MOLLE version better. Don't buy a cheap knock-off. If you hunt around, you may even be able to fine a used one at a surplus store. Clean the bladder with a bleach/water solution. Just let it soak for a few hours, and make sure you dry it out thoroughly when not in use, or it will mildew.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:09:05 AM EDT
I have a Camelbak that I'm mostly satisfied with. I recently replaced the bladder with that of another brand--I don't recall the name--that I purchased at Target for $10. This cheap knock-off bladder is more durable than the Camelbak. In a lessons learned article on equipment used in Gulf War II the GIs complained about the durability of the Camelbak bladders. Don't limit yourself to just Camelbak.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:23:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2003 11:24:25 AM EDT by fearlessrogue]
What would you guys think of [url=http://www.uscav.com/shop/uscitemdetail.asp?stk_code=WA20357]this one?[/url]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:30:48 AM EDT
That is just the resi, not the entire Camelback/Hydrastorm. 100oz is a good size for me....carries well. You need the entire system and not just the bladder though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:59:03 AM EDT
Still love my Camelbak.
Top Top