Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 8:29:15 PM EDT
I'm putting together a CD to celebrate our birthday on the 4th. What's your favorite patriotic song? My pick is "America the Beautiful." Don't care who sings/performs it, it's a great song.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
"DIXIE"
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
...Taps...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Battle Hymn of the Republic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
"Bonnie Blue Flag"
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
That famous Whitney Houston rendition of the Anthem is pretty awsome(got it on tape).

Ray Charles singin America is pretty damn good too.

Both make me feel good, and proud.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Ragged Old Flag, Johnny Cash
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Star Spangled Banner
Song for America - Kansas
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
SGT. MacKenzie  from weweresoldiers!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]

"Dont Tread On Me" Metallica
[headbang]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have several:
Hymn to the Fallen
Freedom isn't Free
God Bless the USA
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
God Bless The USA - Lee Greenwood
Pledge Of Allegiance (w/ UNDER GOD)
National Anthem
Song For America - Kansas
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I was always partial to "The Battle Hymn of the Republic".
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I also like "Onward Christian Soldiers". Nice little number for all that animosity in the middle east.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#14]
If you do make a CD, please IM me. I will pay for a copy..That would be cool..

Anyway, to stay on topic:
God Bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

Angry American (Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue) - Toby Keith

The 4 Service Songs done to honor our men and women in the various services (I get real emotional when they play those and our vets stand up when their song is played)

There's another Angry American song done by Merle Haggard that's pretty cool..

Charlie Daniels also does a pro-America song and the title slips my mind right now...(The one where he says he's gonna keep his guns and have his fun)

Star Spangled Banner

And the new song out by Aaron Tippin (my mind is blank on that name too)..Did ya'll know he's an FFL in Tennessee? Owns a gunshop...

When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again always gives me chills too for some odd reason. Watch the HBO movie called "The Second Civil War" and see Americans fighting Americans and you will see why it gives me chills...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Barry Sadler - Ballad Of The Green Berets
Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans

There's a touching recording of a man telling the origin of the national anthem and then he sings it.  I can't think of the guy but maybe someone here knows.  It seems someone posts a link to download it every year around this time.

[img]edjones7.home.mchsi.com/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Stars and stripes forever...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"Dont Tread On Me" Metallica
[headbang]
View Quote

Very, very good one.
I was gonna say the same.....

edited cause im an idiot who cant spell
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#18]
There's another Angry American song done by Merle Haggard that's pretty cool..
View Quote
"Walking on the fighting side of me"
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! WHERE AT LEAST I KNOW

IM FREE, AND I WON'T FORGET THE MEN WHO DIED

WHO GAVE THAT RIGHT TO ME !
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Lee Greenwood's version of America the Beautiful is my favorite.  I played it after 9-11 and the part where he sings "Oh beautiful for patriot dream that sees beyond the years/Thine alabaster cities gleam, undimmed by human tears" made me bawl like a baby.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#21]
[b]Your Favorite Patriotic Song...[/b]

America the Beautiful
(It should be the National Anthem!)
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#23]
God Bless America
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Stars and Stripes Forever
Angry American by Toby Keith
Have You Forgotten by D. Worley
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I was never a Kate Smith fan, but I have to give a big Amen to Ray Charles' America.  That has to be Numero Uno in my book.  America the Beautiful, and dunno if it is considered "Patriotic", but I also love to hear the Navy's Men's Chorus singing "Eternal Father" (aka the "Navy Hymn").  If that doesn't send shivers down your spine!  I like all the George M. Cohen patriotic tunes (She's a Grand Old Flag, Yankee Doodle Dandy,etc).  Don't forget the Glen Miller Orchestra playing American Patrol.    

I like hearing a recitation of "High Flight" which all airmen should be able to recite from memory.  I will quote here if you will kindly indulge me:

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
  And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds--and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of--wheeled and soared and swung
Hung in the sunlit silence.  Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

by RCAF Flight-Lieutenant John Gillespie Magee, Jr., shortly before his death at age 19.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Star Spangled Banner
Marine Corp Hymn
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#26]
"Fightin Side of Me"  -Merle Haggard
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Onward Christian Soldiers, mentioned before, one of my top 10 hymns.

But also consider:

Battle Hymn of the Republic
When Johnny Come Marching Home
Stars & Stripes Forever
National Emblem March (which all through has snippets of Star Spangled Banner interwoven)

One of the most beautiful arrangements of America the Beautiful is the one by Carmen Dragon, who was at that time the conductor of the Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra.  He was the next door neighbor of the Wilson family (the Beach Boys) and taught Brian Wilson music theory and harmony.  He was also the father of Darrel Dragon, who was the "Captain" in The Captain and Tenille.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
America by Ray Charles
God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood
Angry American- Toby Keith

just to name a few..............

also like the Navy hymn "Eternal Father,strong to save"
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#29]
"Fanfare for the Common Man"

[url]http://memory.loc.gov/cocoon/patriotism/loc.natlib.ihas.200000006/[/url]

"Fanfare for the Common Man" was certainly Copland's best known concert opener. He wrote it in response to a solicitation from Eugene Goosens for a musical tribute honoring those engaged in World War II. Goosens, conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, originally had in mind a fanfare "... for Soldiers, or for Airmen or Sailors" and planned to open his 1942 concert season with it.

Aaron Copland later wrote, "The challenge was to compose a traditional fanfare, direct and powerful, yet with a contemporary sound." To the ultimate delight of audiences Copland managed to weave musical complexity with popular style. He worked slowly and deliberately, however, and the piece was not ready until a full month after the proposed premier.

To Goosens' surprise Copland titled the piece "Fanfare for the Common Man" (although his sketches show he also experimented with other titles such as "Fanfare for a Solemn Ceremony" and "Fanfare for Four Freedoms"). Fortunately Goosens loved the work, despite his puzzlement over the title, and decided with Copland to preview it on March 12, 1943. As income taxes were to be paid on March 15 that year, they both felt it was an opportune moment to honor the common man. Copland later wrote, "Since that occasion, 'Fanfare' has been played by many and varied ensembles, ranging from the U.S. Air Force Band to the popular Emerson, Lake, and Palmer group ... I confess that I prefer 'Fanfare' in the original version, and I later used it in the final movement of my Third Symphony."

listen: [url]http://lcweb2.loc.gov/natlib/ihas/service/patriotic/100010429/100010429.mp3[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top