Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 5:45:59 PM EDT
O electronic gurus....

I'm in the market for a 30" LCD flat screen television.

Whats good or bad?  Since I'm blowing about 3k here Id like make an educated purchase.

Any advise?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you dead set on a LCD?  Where is the set gonna be? Is it in a place that necessitates a flat screen?  
If not, you can get a 30 inch direct view HDTV widescreen set for $999.
If you want flat, you can get 42-inch plasmas for what you plan to spend on the 30 inch LCD.
Frankly, I don't think LCDs are worth the jack.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say forget the LCD.  The cost to quality ratio doesn't seem reasonable.  I'd go Plasma or an HDTV Flat Screen.  You'll get similar quality w/ out shelling out and extra chunk of change.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you dead set on a LCD?  Where is the set gonna be? Is it in a place that necessitates a flat screen?  
If not, you can get a 30 inch direct view HDTV widescreen set for $999.
If you want flat, you can get 42-inch plasmas for what you plan to spend on the 30 inch LCD.
Frankly, I don't think LCDs are worth the jack.
View Quote

well space is sort of at a premium,
My idea is to put it into the bedroom (im lazy)for now and eventualy stash it in a bigger area later  when i move outta the low rent district.[;)]

On the plasma, somthing in the 40"+ area is just too big for my application. Idealy i wanted a 25" but no such critter exists.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell, I'd like a small one, like 10-13 inch. can't find what I want...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
well space is sort of at a premium,
My idea is to put it into the bedroom (im lazy)for now and eventualy stash it in a bigger area later  when i move outta the low rent district.[;)]

On the plasma, somthing in the 40"+ area is just too big for my application. Idealy i wanted a 25" but no such critter exists.
View Quote

You'd be surprised.  If you mount it on the wall, a 42 inch plasma set really doesn't take up that much room.  If it were me, I would definitely go with a 42 inch plasma for three grand instead of a 30 inch LCD.  For that kind of money, I would make it work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top