Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Styer this is what ain't right[red]Just as they were able to obtain records of dog owners from my vet, they can obtain records of gun owners from dealers.[/red]

Call your vet and find out if they indeed did get the info from your vet, and if so how, did they have a court order saying the vet had to give up the info? or did they say hey we need this info give it up and the vet said sure here ya go.I know our vet has a thing that they do not give out info about the animals unless the animal has bitten someone, thats the only time that they will release any info to the police and even than if that happened we'd be on the phone with the vet before the police would be.
In order for us to get out tags for the dog and the cats we just show proof of imunization, and thats it we pay money get tags all said and done.
This was a practice run for the day they come for yer guns man[;)]
View Quote

In this county, when you get your dogs vaccinated the vet fills out a county form of compliance.

I get a copy which I'm suppossed to send in with $25.00 to the county to pay for tags.

The vet sends one of the other copies to show that he did vaccinate the dog.

I didn't pay my dog tax and they came around checking everyone. I got fined for not being in compliance.

So I have to vaccinate my dogs 2 months before they were due and make sure and pay the dog extortion tax and get county tags.

Hopefully they will be around this time next year, and being in full compliance, I intend to tell them my name is "Gomez" and I'm renting this house and I'm from out of town and so are my 25 dogs.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
taken from the Florida State Statutes from the Board of Veterinary Medicine:

All dogs, cats and ferrets 4 months and older MUST be vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian against rabies with a US Govt approved vaccine.

[red]Upon vaccination, the vet shall provide the owner and animal control authority with a rabies vaccination certificate.[/red]

Any inforation contained in the certificate provided to the animal control authority which identifies the owner of the animal veccinated is confidential (only if an animal or person had been exposed to a zoonotic disease can that info be provided).

Any person with an animal tag number may receive vaccination certificate info with regard to that animal.

Federal, state, and local law enforcement and prosecutorial agencies, other animal control authorites, and emergency and medical response, disease control, or other govt health agencies shall be provided info contained in the certificate for the purpose of controlling the transmission of rabies...however, they must not release such info to the public.  

This section DOES NOT prohibit or limit municipalities or counties from enacting requirements similar to or more strigent than the provisions of this section for the implementation of rabies-control ordinances.

that's what i've got on the topic..

need to mull over the way animal control is going about enforcing the rabies ordinance...

View Quote

The part in red says that they would have to have know that the dogs were vacinated, the vet is obligated to inform them, which means they had it showing that you didn't pay the tag fee. thats what i see anyway.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What would happen if you didn't answer the door?

and

Do these guys carry guns, or just those little noose-on-a-pole things?
View Quote

Sure I know that NOW.

But what if a neighbor had said a dog bit him and got the wrong house. Animal control usually only comes around for a reason. Had I known what it was about I simply wouldn't have answered the door.

And no guns, just a radio.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
time to feed the pigs...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Animal control officers are not authorized to bear arms or make arrests...but authorized to investigate, on public or private property, civil infractions relating to animal control or cruelty and issue citations.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Now you people now why I hate pets.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every police operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? If during periods of mass arrests people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door
and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever was at hand? The organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed
machine would have ground to a halt."
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would you even get a dog license to begin with?  Why give the county any reason to even know you have a dog?  

Screw them.  I only pay me car license tags because you can't drive without one and not get a ticket.  

But, no one is paying attention to your dogs that closely---until they notice you didn't comply fully with all of their little requirements regarding the vaccination.    

What a fucking bureaucratic joke of a county.  

Just move.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Do they do this in [i]all[/i] the neighborhoods?? Rich and poor?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
magnum 99 - not sure of the laws regarding rabies where you are (most likely you have to vaccinate your dogs for rabies), but here in Florida you MUST vaccinate your dogs AND cats for rabies...

for one thing, you should for their protection and for yours...

rabies is a reportable disease and a major public health significance.

vaccinate your pet for rabies - you don't ever want to see what happens to them when they get it...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a show on Animal Planet that NYC the "SPCA cops" going around and ticketing/arresting people all over the place.

These ass-clowns carry guns and act like bad-ass mofos.

There is a blond woman cop on the show and she is one of the most unprofessional pieces of sh*t I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
you know, i heard a little rumor that Animal Planet is coming to Miami with their Animal Precinct show..

hmmmmm
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every police operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? If during periods of mass arrests people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door
and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever was at hand? The organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed
machine would have ground to a halt."
View Quote

I wonder if anyone is gonna give you static for this post.

If they do, ask them to spell "Incrementalism"...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Is your county broke like ours is? This is a way to generate revenue. They have been cracking down on speeders, DUI,etc. in Maricopa county. I think we will see alot more of these tactics in the future. I think the economy is in worse trouble than we are being led to believe. I don't know, I'm just an old country boy.
AB
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
In this county, when you get your dogs vaccinated the vet fills out a county form of compliance.

I get a copy which I'm suppossed to send in with $25.00 to the county to pay for tags.

The vet sends one of the other copies to show that he did vaccinate the dog.

I didn't pay my dog tax and they came around checking everyone. I got fined for not being in compliance.

So I have to vaccinate my dogs 2 months before they were due and make sure and pay the dog extortion tax and get county tags.

Hopefully they will be around this time next year, and being in full compliance, I intend to tell them my name is "Gomez" and I'm renting this house and I'm from out of town and so are my 25 dogs.
View Quote

Were they armed?

What about your kids vaccinations?

And coming soon direct from sunny kaliforniastan.

In Beverly Hills your are now a "pet custodian".

And can be sued on YOUR pets behalf if the Vet. FEELS he has causes of abuse.

I heard on liberal radio stations, they use the term "Pet Custodian" in reports on pet OWNERS.

Coming soon to Florida.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do they do this in [i]all[/i] the neighborhoods?? Rich and poor?
View Quote

God I hope so. I'd love to see a door to door "dog tax" collection in the more afluent areas. Be just enough to nip this shit in the bud.

However, in hind sight this was actually valuable. You "think" you know how you will react. And then they actually show up and you are "Uh and um, I guess..."

I hope they show next year. I'd rather start practicing my bullshit stories on these assclowns than try it for the first time regarding something serious.

I was just so floored when it dawned on me what they were actually doing.

Next year my name is Gomez and I'm from Haiti and I'm renting the house. The dogs belong to my friend Felipe who is just passing through.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#18]
First, the information isn't [i]confidential[/i] as far as Animal Control being able to access it is concerned.

Second, SA [i]did[/i] violate the local ordinance regarding the procurement of a rabies tag for his dogs. There're good reasons for that ordinance, and if someone doesn't like it they can try to get it changed, get rid of your dogs, or move. He got caught, no biggie, pay the fee.

Third, there are ordinances for registering pets and laws about keeping their vaccinations up to date yearly, etc. These records are kept by both the local vet and the county, as expected. Again, don't like it then change it or move.

Other than the surprise and efficiency the county showed in spot checking for the presence of properly licensed dogs, I don't see a parallel regarding gun ownership.

- do you have to have a gun registered here in Florida in order to own it? No.
- are you legally required to have yearly checks with a gun store where they check your gun and register it with the county/state/whoever? No.
- can you buy and sell your guns without notifying any state organization of the transaction? Yes.

Like it's been pointed out, this is a fee collection exercise. There have been recent incidents of rabid racoons in Broward county in the past year so maybe it's not a bad idea to have checks like this occasionally - might save someone's kid from having to be unnecessarily treated for rabies.

I guess it's a good excuse to lash out at .gov for a variety of reasons, the paranoia glands get a chance to work a little more. But c'mon - talking about feeding an animal control officer to the hogs seems a tad harsh, if ironic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[size=5]MOLON-LABRADOR !![/SIZE=5]
View Quote

[LOLabove]

Styer...Every day I ask myself "Why are all so many people moving up here to Port St. Lucie from Broward?"

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
... A test for the future, just like the laws passed in California in the past 15 years.

... A test to sample just how much the sheeple will accept.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#22]
chetchat, my dogs don't have shit to do with rabid racoons. My paying for a rabies tag won't do jack shit to prevent rabid racoons. Animal control running aroun and collecting stray animals WILL.

Hiram Ranger, if they had sent me a invoice in the mail I'd have just paid it. But Animal Control using tax dollars to walk around and knock on every door is not how I like my tax dollars to be wasted. how many unregistered owners just didn't answer the door.

I vaccinated my dogs like a do every year. I just didn't pay for a tag that said I notified Broward County that I paid it. That is kinda bullshit. Neighborhood enforcement sweeps are even more bullshit.

I never equated dog vaccination with gun registration. I just noted the enforcement method will probably be similar.

This compliance sweep is the same as if they went through the neighborhood and asked to see if your car tags were current and ticketed you if they weren't. Would that make you upset?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OK, so now the issue isn't your rights being violated, its efficient use of taxpayer dollars...  OK, that is a valid issue.

How many pieces of mail do you receive that you just toss aside, how many people would read it and say whatever, I'll get to it...  Bet you paid up this way, and so did your neighbors.  If they issue a few hundred dollars in fines they have paid for the enforcement officer's salary and they have sent a public message to comply with the law.
View Quote

Gee I wonder if that would work with my FPL bill.

"Honest, I was gonna pay it but I just tossed it aside and you know..."

And no I didn't pay up. I have to go to the vet and get my dogs vaccinated 2 months before they were due and then send in the documentation, etc.

Keep in mind they went to every house, not just those they had listed as dog owners. If you lived next door they'd have knocked on your door, asked how many dogs, cats, etc. you own and then would have requested proof of vacination and presentation of a current tag.

If they had even just made a special trip to my house to say "Hey you never paid this" I'd be bothered less.

It was really the door to door thing. It bothered me, a LOT.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Two Words.

Revenue Enhancement, Period!

The sad thing is that they get away with this shit.  I distinctly remember something in the Bill of Rights....  Oh the 4th Ammendment, that's it.  Well they threw that right out the fucking door.  

This is a sign of how things will be when they round up guns!  It is all incremental.   A huge rush to gather them all up would be too hard and dangerous so they ban this and restrict that.  Then they go around confiscating unregistered this and that little stuff like poorly converted M14 recievers.  When they whittled all the people down they will go door to door in every neighborhood and you know what?  Everyone will cower and comply.  My brother-in-law and I were talking of this last weekend.  He said nobody will take his guns.  I replied that they would lock him up, ruin his life, leave behind his wifeand kids, loose his house, go to jail, etc.  I said that's how they will get them.  They will make them a liability upon you.  It will be easier to turn them in than to risk Freedom.  Then after it is too late everyone will realize what has happened.  

Note the incorporation of these smaller "no big deal" agencies into a larger law enforcement agency?  It is happeneing everywhere, even in the federal gov't.  I have said in past posts and I'll say it again here.  The militarization of the civilian police forces in this country, along with this ever encompassing realm of lawenforcement is amounting to what is a known as a "standing army".  It will not be Soldiers, Marines and Sailors taking your guns and searching your house.  It will be "Officer John Doe" from your local PD along with a sqaud of infantry(SWAT) and armored vehicles.  I do not believe this will happen in my lifetime but in my grandchildren's lifetime most likely.

SA had an advanced screening of the beginning of the next Revolution.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#28]
If the animal control officers have law enforcement powers, they can obtain entry to your residence only if you allow them to do so or if they obtain a warrant.

If they're not empowered with any law enforcement powers,  they can't even get a warrant.

You'd be well within your rights to just close the door on them.   If they persist,  you just call the police on them.  

First they register the dogs, then they confiscate the most dangerous ones, like your pit bulls, rottweilers, and chows.    Then they get the others progressively.   That's the plan, man!

By alerting other people to what's going on, this is how the door to door searches are put to a screeching stop.   They'll only get so far before someone unloads a full magazine of Class III Dobermans on them.  (A full auto dog if ever there was one!)

This all applies well enough to guns, too.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#29]
They don't have to "persist" or be confrontational, they just issue fines. They force you to deal with the issue.

If you don't pay or show good cause why, then you lose your driver's license or have a lien placed against your property. They make things unpleasant. Noncomplicance has it's price.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#30]
HR, I just don't believe it is the way to do things.

It is kinda like those DUI checkpoints.

In "intent" I agree with them. They want to get drunks off the road, make things safer and issue some tickets. Most of us agree with those ideas.

However you cannot just pull over the next 50 cars to do random DUI enforcement. But they still do.

And animal control should be acting in the traditional role of dog catchers.

If a dog or cat is loose, go get it. And if it's not current fine the owner when he picks it up. You cannot go house to house with random enforcement. But they do.

It only gets the responsible pet owners. My dogs were accounted for and inside the house. The problem owners said they didn't have a dog and their dog was about 2 block away in someones trash can.

They weren't really addressing, let alone solving the problem. Again my dogs were vaccinated, and I proved it, I just didn't buy the damn tag.

Again it is the house to house enforcement that just really bothered me.

But it's really no longer a issue. Next year my names is Gomez and I'm from Haiti. Just wish I had thought of it sooner.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Next year my names is Gomez and I'm from Haiti. Just wish I had thought of it sooner.
View Quote

Then what'll you tell the INS when they come knockin'? [(:|)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Resistance is Futile.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#34]
How stupid can some of you jokers be?

As noted above, there are a variety of ordinances and statutes applicable.  Some place ACO are LEO and they do carry a badge and gun.  They do have the right to go to your house.  You'ld have a sorry time trying to convince anybody on a jury, a Judge or an appeals court that this was an unreasonable search or seizure, starting with it is neither a search or seizure.  It isn't tresspassing either.  Go ahead slam the door and call the Police, it's quicker than the ACO walking out to his car and calling, although they will likely just not the circumstance and when the Sheriff come out, then you get to figure out what you do  when he tells you to just pay the damn check.

I can see the headlines now "Gun Nut shootout over dog license"

Hell when I was growing up the local PD had a limited duty officer that collected late Animal License fees among a variety of other light duties.  

Before you have too many conniptions maybe you oughta see if Steve In VA can enlighten you on the Constitutional ramifications.

The thing that pisses me off is that I can send a rabies certificate in every year with 5,4,3 years left and they still ask for a copy the next year.  How hard is it to upadte the data base file to show certification expeiration date?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pretty scary what just happened.
View Quote

Well, I remember those pics of your sierra one hide. Next time they come around, use some of that stuff that horiuchi taught you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty scary what just happened.
View Quote

Well, I remember those pics of your sierra one hide. Next time they come around, use some of that stuff that horiuchi taught you.
View Quote

Sorry, I was absent on "How to shoot a woman armed with a baby" day.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Every day it seems more and more like the former eastern bloc countries are more free than we are in the US.

Just an observation...

What ever happened to personal accountability?  When did we start relying on the government to take care of everything?

[:(]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What should I have done? Seriously, I want to know for next year.
View Quote

Tell them to F%@K Off!

Animal Control..........waste of time!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Now you people now why I hate pets.
View Quote

Now you know why I hate "Animal Control".
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Dog?  What dog?

That barking you hear?  It's my wife, you got something to say about THAT?

Get proof or get gone.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top