Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/20/2003 11:44:28 AM EDT
Anybody have history or information on PWA lowers. My buddy has an opportunity to buy one that is built. The owner says it is preban. Is it? How can I tell? It has some of the evil features so caution is the order of the day. I won't be back at my computer until tommorrow any info submitted until then is appreciated. Sanguine
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:51:15 AM EDT
PWA is/was Pac West Arms. they made both pre and post ban lowers, both cast and forged. PWA lowers are among my favorites, they are in spec and don't have any of the internal blocks. Somewhere on this website there is a list of serial numbers for pre and post ban lowers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:55:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:45:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SANGUINE: Anybody have history or information on PWA lowers. My buddy has an opportunity to buy one that is built. The owner says it is preban. Is it? How can I tell? It has some of the evil features so caution is the order of the day. I won't be back at my computer until tommorrow any info submitted until then is appreciated. Sanguine
View Quote
Remember regardless of serial number if it did not leave the factory as a complete rifle in pre-ban config, say it left as just a lower, than it is NOT a pre-ban as far as the ATF is concerned. If the serial number says it's a pre-ban call and confirm it. This is taken off of a serial number list linked to under the AR section. PWA (360) 438-3983 35222 and Below - Pre-Ban (Note:Some lowers are cast not forged. Out of business) Post-ban have a year prefix in the serial number. Rumored to have only sold lowers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:10:17 PM EDT
I keep seeing the warning "rumored to have only sold lowers", then I see posts that seem to indicate that complete rifles were sold also. Does anyone know for a fact which statement is true? I do believe that even if only a lower was sold, it would still be a preban IF IT WAS BUILT THAT WAY before the ban went into effect.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 1:11:51 PM EDT by magnum_99]
Originally Posted By photoman:
Originally Posted By SANGUINE: Anybody have history or information on PWA lowers. My buddy has an opportunity to buy one that is built. The owner says it is preban. Is it? How can I tell? It has some of the evil features so caution is the order of the day. I won't be back at my computer until tommorrow any info submitted until then is appreciated. Sanguine
View Quote
Remember regardless of serial number if it did not leave the factory as a complete rifle in pre-ban config, say it left as just a lower, than it is NOT a pre-ban as far as the ATF is concerned.
View Quote
Not really. The lower had to be mated to a pre-ban upper before the ban to also make a complete firearm before the ban. If it was a complete rifle prior to the ban, it's a preban. And I have one as well. VERY nice lower. As good as any Colt or Bushy I've ever seen. Mine's forged and in the low 20,000 serial number range.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:12:21 PM EDT
My favorite to take to the wood's is the PWA, mil spec in every way. Best purchase of all I did in 93. Complete rifle new in the box, from local hardware store that use to sell weapons as their hobby in the store. It was mostly military weapons they sold. M1's, AR's, even had a BAR on the counter. Alot has changed since then. I sure miss the Mom & Pop type stores around here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:14:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 1:15:25 PM EDT by photoman]
magnum_99 thanks for clarifying the complete rifle before the ban thing i was about to edit my post to point that out since i asked about that while i was on the phone talking to a dealer friend. He said the same thing it didn't have to be a complete rifle and leave the factory that way before the ban just sold as a complete rifle before the ban.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:45:09 PM EDT
if i remember correctly the post made receivers have a letter designation prefix in the S/N. i dont remember what it is but its is fairly obvious.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:55:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By benbob: they are in spec and don't have any of the internal blocks.
View Quote
Not exactly true. I know that some of the post ban receivers have a higher rear shelf. I'm not sure when that was implimented. Unless you have a RDIAS or Lighting Link it's not an issue.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:00:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:16:06 PM EDT
Oh BTW, if you are thinking of buying a PWA with the intention of ever selling it expected to get ripped off if you try to sell it at a gun store. It's amazing how fast the dealer who knows everything about every firearm ever made suddenly has never heard of PWA and can't find it referenced in any gun books at all. Since he can't find any information on it he will only offer $400 at best for a complete AR15 built on a PWA lower. Hell even the cheap part kits cost more than that. Then one dealer actually had the audacity to compare PWA to Hesse! I told him he didn't know what he was talking about and walked out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:34:49 PM EDT
Thanks for all the info. After examining the AW it has a very low serial # and in excellent condition. It was purchased buy my buddy and was a steal. $700.00 [:D] for Car-15 style set up, bayonet, Laser, carry case, 5 30 rnd mags. This gun has a very short barrel and a long, 6", flash hider. appears to be permanently attached to the barrel. Does this sound like something PWA manufactured? It was said that the upper, barrel too?, may have been replaced at some time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:07:21 PM EDT
I had one in the 7,000 range. I bought it back in 91. It was attached to a Colt Govt. A2 upper. Another one of those "I wish I hadn't sold it" stories. I know where to get it. It will be mine again. Someday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:11:36 PM EDT
I am the extremely lucky owner of two consecutively numbered PWA post-ban lowers and they are outstanding. One exists as a 16" RRA carbine. The other is a RRA 20" DCM match rifle.
Top Top