Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 9:24:00 AM EDT
I screwed up years ago and now I am paying for it. My bathroom was painted with an OIL BASED gloss paint and I painted over it with a LATEX BASED paint and then I used an art store texture paint on top of that.. Now (Years later) some of the paint is not sticking and some is attached SOLID to the oil base.

How can I strip off the latex paint?and get back to the oil base paint.

Unfortunately I did not use a primer to adhere to the oil base. NOW I learned my lesson.

Crap I just should stick to refrigerators.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
power sander

or you might check around for some chemicals that loosen latex paint, goto a REAL paint store, not lowes/Homedepot, and ask them what they got.  But that involves scraping/sanding anywany

Painting over oil isnt a bad thing, painting over GLOSS is.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Your main problem probably isn't the lack of a primer but improper surface prep.  If painting over glossy enamel, you need to clean it really good to remove any contaminant films and also degloss it either through physical abrasion or chemical etching.  I believe you can get paint removers that are selective to latex.  I would probably ignore the remaing latex if you don't think it is going to delaminate in the future, remove the loose stuff with a wire brush, prep the surface, and repaint.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
sand it....super chemicals....sledge hammer, sawzall and new sheet rock
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Break out the hand sander, take it down to the oil, Make sure to wipe down with moist,(paint thinner, or TSP), rag, to remove the dust.

Any time you are changing paints, (latex/oil, oil/latex), you must use a quality primer. Prime your prepared surface, and finish coat.

NEVER use cheap materials...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, without seeing it with my own eyes, it sounds like you need to scrape and sand the whole thing, wipe it down with a deglosser I use Jasco, prine with Bullzeye Bin Primer Sealer
and paint 2 coats. I prefer Kelly Moore's Dura-Poxy. Its a latex paint that looks and covers like oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top