Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2003 7:27:42 AM EDT
This A##hole reinforced just about every stereotype out there.  Thanks a lot.
For those of you local,  this is the Lake Austin boat ramp under the 360 bridge. 4 O'clock in the afternoon.

What occured, is that an off duty APD officer was enjoying a family outing on lake Austin.  They decide to stop at the boat ramp to swap out passengers.

On the boat dock is your typical gun owner, (TGO)  drunk off his a## and really mad because his buddies took off on a jet ski and were not giving him his turn.

As off duty cop motors up to the dock,  TGO screams "Get the F##K out of here!
cops answer is "Huh?

Various ranting and threats by TGO ensues.  (Too much profanity and threats to list here.)

Off duty cop refuses. TGO runs to truck,  (Easy to identify because of huge rebel flag) and pulls semi-auto rifle from cab.  Off duty cop floors the throttle and tries to run from the dock.  However, since boat is heavily loaded, and he has to turn,  acceleration is not the best.

Typical Gun Owner empties magazine at boat.

Fortunately,  since A##hole shoots about as well as your average gun owner,  He misses a 22 foot boat at less than 60 feet, despite the scope. 10 rounds.

Now having an empty rifle,  TGO again goes to truck and comes up with a pistol.

This he sticks into a womans face as she is on the cell phone and says  "If that's 911 I'm going to F##king kill you"  threatens several others in the same manner.

TGO then gets in truck and flees.

To run directly into the  responding officers.  Seems the threatened lady was not the only one dialing 911.

The only smart thing TGO did was get out of that truck with his hands in the air, therefore he is still alive.

Local media is reporting about what you would expect. Fortunately, at this point I don't think TGO has a CHL. He did have a second rifle as well.      
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#1]
and you call that Typical?  

Sounds to me like a dumbass redneck who happens to own a gun.  Thankfully, he will be remedied of that very quickly.  

Hope noone was hurt.  Throw his ass in jail, and take his guns and his truck.  He's too stupid to own them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Typical gun owner? or (more likely) the typical drunk?!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
few things.
lake Austin (nuff said)
typical gun owner (you need to change this to A-hole gun owner as there is nothing typical about him).
the cop should have killed him when he stepped from the truck with his rifle.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Typical?? [b]WTF[/b]??

I dont think so.

You sir, seem to be a [:K]

You must be out of your mind, to think this guy is typical.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Shit, I work less than a 1/4 mile from there on 360.  Hadn't seen this on the local news yet....glad I haven't or I'd be on my soapbox for a couple hours!  While at first I wondered why the off duty officer wasn't carrying and didn't fire back, I realized he had his family to protect and a shoot out from a boat would have been a bad idea.  I'm just glad nobody was hurt.  It's funny though, even in Austin most stuff like this goes right under peoples' radar.....

--ZERO
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Where do you get off calling this lunatic a "typical gun owner"? If you really believe his bahavior is that of typical gun owners you're as nuts as he is.....
--RR
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Alcohol [booze] guns [shotgun] and stupid inbred hicks [:E]....a bad combination.  Way to buford. [pissed]
Must not have been a NASCAR race that day.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone should have shot this guy , and been done with him. What he did was insane, drunk or not, and definitely not typical.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Guys, before you kick john in the nuts, I think he was simply commenting that the media will turn him into a "typical gun owner".
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#13]
What bearing does not having a CHL have in this incident? The so-called-TGO, at least according to this account, did not produce either described weapon from a concealed location on his person. It's not related in the story, but the pistol and rifles could have been in the truck in a perfectly legal manner.

Boorish, stupid, drunken behavior does not distinguish among non-gunowners, gunowners, CHL holders, FFLs, LEOs or any other boundary one can construct. Assholes are assholes, pure and simple.

There's a lot of interesting narrative in the posted story. So much so, in fact, that methinks that the narration has been crafted to suit the motives of the narrator. Furthermore, it seems that the narrator is privvy to facts not available to the general public. Hmmm...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I dunno guys, I read a lot of sarcasm and commentary about how the "public" percieves people who own guns in John's post.....wouldn't be so quick to get the panties in a bunch!  ;-)

--ZERO
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah he is not literally saying this is a typical gun owner. He's saying this is what the public at large see a "typical" gun owner as.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#16]
This genius having a CHL or not DOES matter.  It would serve to give ALL CHL holders a black eye in the "public" perception.  It always matters when somebody fucks up with a gun......unfortunately, we're all involved in a massive PR campaign to keep our RKBA...

--ZERO
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Very good John, I think I see what yer doing with the "Typical" comment. See guys, if this was a kick down the door JBT story, some of us would say, "That's Typical".

I'm glad no one was hurt, and I CANNOT believe in a ccw state, nobody was armed, and got involved....

Hang 'em High.....
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#19]
uumm..
I would be OK if he had "Typical gun owner" written as " 'typical gun owner' " (with the quotes, as in sarcasm/stereotype).
the way its written, and the number of times suggested, only suggests to me that he's a troll from the DU.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#21]
You guys are slipping, 20 replies and no one has requested a link?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow!  Touched a nerve didn't I?

To answer the several IM's so far,  "Typical gun Owner""  was not my creation.  It came from one of the witnesses.  With some peoples fondness for "JBT" etc,  I thought it quite fitting to use.

Off duty officer was not carrying.  Believe me,  we've given him grief about that already. Though,  in his defense,  getting family out of range was a MUCH bigger consideration.

As for the CHL, we had a shooting about two years ago,  CHL cab driver murdered two people.  Anything involving a CHL sends the media into berserker mode around here.  That,  we don't need.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
uumm..
I would be OK if he had "Typical gun owner" written as " 'typical gun owner' " (with the quotes, as in sarcasm/stereotype).
the way its written, and the number of times suggested, only suggests to me that he's a troll from the DU.
View Quote
John is a tall, muscular man.  He shows up at shoots.  He carries a gun for a living.  Feel free to call him a DU Troll to his face.
I'd pay to see that! [;D]
View Quote

Double what doublefeed says.  John's a stand-up guy.  Nice as heck.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
uumm..
View Quote

since he's been here longer, and has more posts than you, I'd be more inclined to believe that YOU are the troll.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
uumm..
View Quote
John is a tall, muscular man.  He shows up at shoots.  He carries a gun for a living.  Feel free to call him a DU Troll to his face.
View Quote

Although I agree with your statement of john not beinga troll i have to say that tall and muscular don't mean shit,Sam Colt cured that problem for all you litle guys, [8D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy Crappoly!  I live in Austin, but did not see this on the news.

I would think attempted murder would be the charge?  If it gets plea bargained down to discharging a firearm in city limits [puke]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Just curious, suppose someone had taken out this POS while he was firing on the boat.  Would that be considered a justifiable shooting, or would upstanding John Q. Citizen be facing a hornet's nest of legal ramifications?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#32]
The interesting thing about this,  is that from the description given,  dumb redneck construction worker in a 74 Pickup is the mental picture you get.  

Guys, This idiot's disposible income is a hell of a lot higher than mine, and he's only 21.  "College Yuppie"  is a lot closer than "Dumb redneck."

As for links,  I haven't looked for one.  I read the police report and talked to those involved.

Dont believe me?  Try the Austin American Statesman or channel 36. I'm quite sure the story will not exactly be factual,  but hey,  your choice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Interesting.

Gun owner does wrong, other gun owning board members blast him and want him hung from a tall tree. Dont like perception he is giving others of gun owners.
Police officer does wrong and other LE board members.................[crickets chirping]...................[more crickets].................[still more crickets]

[peep]
View Quote

Okay Hawkeye.  I'm not a "real" LEO, but I'm a former one.

And I truly believe that if you told a story about a LEO being off duty, drunk, disorderly and even shooting at a boat load of people, every LEO (or ex-LEO) member of this board would say, "They arrested him?  Good!  That's what the idiot deserves."
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Ditto here. I'm looking, but not seeing this. Someone firing a semi-auto rifle at a cop and family under the 360 bridge yesterday should be showing up.

Links, John? Is this on the news anywhere?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.

Gun owner does wrong, other gun owning board members blast him and want him hung from a tall tree. Dont like perception he is giving others of gun owners.
Police officer does wrong and other LE board members.................[crickets chirping]...................[more crickets].................[still more crickets]

[peep]
View Quote

Okay Hawkeye.  I'm not a "real" LEO, but I'm a former one.

And I truly believe that if you told a story about a LEO being off duty, drunk, disorderly and even shooting at a boat load of people, every LEO (or ex-LEO) member of this board would say, "They arrested him?  Good!  That's what the idiot deserves."
View Quote

Any idiot regardless of profession,religion, race or color deserves to be arrested in this case.

Gunz and booze do NOT mix.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#37]
SpearWeasel,  Julian date is  162.  I'm not sure what today is, but that puts it about 6-7 days ago.

DoubleFeed,  Give me a shout sometime.  My favorite lunch spot is just down the road from you,  La Salsa. Best burritos you'll ever find in this town.

As for the CHL popping the guy, would have been nice, but this is Austin.  Even worse,  West Austin.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#39]
The off duty LEO should of did all of us a favor and shot the idiot.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wow!  Touched a nerve didn't I?
View Quote

Yup!! Knew ya would!

To answer the several IM's so far,  "Typical gun Owner""  was not my creation.  It came from one of the witnesses.  With some peoples fondness for "JBT" etc,  I thought it quite fitting to use.
View Quote

Hopefully, some folks will think a bit, before they post "ALL Cops...."

Off duty officer was not carrying.  Believe me,  we've given him grief about that already. Though,  in his defense,  getting family out of range was a MUCH bigger consideration.
View Quote

I would be willing to bet, that guy in the boat will NEVER again be "light"!! [:D]

And you are, of course, correct, he couldn't respond from a bost full of people..

As for the CHL, we had a shooting about two years ago,  CHL cab driver murdered two people.  Anything involving a CHL sends the media into berserker mode around here.  That,  we don't need.
View Quote

Nope, we don't...

Good post John. Any news sources for this yet, or did you break it before the press??
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I think it is interesting that CHL is even mentioned in this....ya see what happens when you give the government control over your rights?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
uumm..
View Quote
View Quote

Not to mention, first and formost, John is a Texan! I'd also guess, that when he goes to shoots with the guys, the badge prolly stays home, or in his pocket........
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
uumm..
View Quote

since he's been here longer, and has more posts than you, I'd be more inclined to believe that YOU are the troll.
View Quote
[b] I have been told post counts don't mean anything[/b]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#46]
OK, gotta admit I was a little dismayed by the "typical gun owner" thing, and automatcally assumed John was an LEO/TBL/JBT. But considering this took place in Kalifornia(Austin may as well be, and yes I've been there) I'm sure his sumation that that is how John Q Liberal Media Public will spin it is correct. I Gotta remember TX is a little different than the rest of the US. Cops there like us gun owners. (smacks forehead)
John, can you keep us abreast of how this turns out? I know pretty much all of us would like to see Ol' Tex Thurston McNumbnut III get nailed to the outhouse wall for this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#47]
As to the press thing, the local media around here miss many, many significant incidents (shootings, rapes, robberies), because they never even bother to ask law enforcement for daily blotters or incident summaries. When something major that LE needs help on happens, LE usually does a press release, but most things never make the news, and when they do, they screw the details up so badly that the incident is rendered unrecognizable.

Heck, I have done a hostage rescue that didn't make the press, and most standoffs and many shootings never make it either.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Without independent verification (i.e. LINK!)I am voting troll here. As for the TGO vs JBT comparison I do not recall any incident refering to ALL leos as JBTs. Of course I haven't seen or read everything on this site. Most postings involving the term JBT also have disclaimers stating not all LEOs are such.
If such an incident did occur then I personally believe it would have been completely acceptable to shoot/kill the "TGO" since I believe it would be reasonable to assume I/family was in imminent danger.
BTW what dock has parking so close to the ramp the guy could walk up to it and resume firing with a second weapon faster than a person could row a boat 60 feet?
The time line is a bit screwy here.
Everything is fine til here.

Off duty cop refuses. TGO runs to truck, (Easy to identify because of huge rebel flag) and pulls semi-auto rifle from cab. Off duty cop floors the throttle and tries to run from the dock. However, since boat is heavily loaded, and he has to turn, acceleration is not the best.

Typical Gun Owner empties magazine at boat.

*maybe 30 seconds at most*

Fortunately, since A##hole shoots about as well as your average gun owner, He misses a 22 foot boat at less than 60 feet, despite the scope. 10 rounds.

*60 feet from parking lot to ramp is pretty darn close in my experience*

Now having an empty rifle, TGO again goes to truck and comes up with a pistol.

*Maybe another 30 seconds here*

This he sticks into a womans face as she is on the cell phone and says "If that's 911 I'm going to F##king kill you" threatens several others in the same manner.

*Who? where did these other people come from?*

TGO then gets in truck and flees.
To run directly into the responding officers. Seems the threatened lady was not the only one dialing 911.

The only smart thing TGO did was get out of that truck with his hands in the air, therefore he is still alive.

Local media is reporting about what you would expect. Fortunately, at this point I don't think TGO has a CHL. He did have a second rifle as well

*Did these other mystery folk already have called the police? Otherwise if the LEO did the police arrived on scene from whereever in just over a minute at the most.*

If the other folk had to deal with this guy first and therefore for more time why not mention that? Is it just that the LEO is a leo that this matters?

All this with no independ confirmation really causes me to have my doubts. Can any of those in the Austin area  check the local police docket for confirmation? Shots fired at a LEO will most definitely make the record.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As to the press thing, the local media around here miss many, many significant incidents (shootings, rapes, robberies), because they never even bother to ask law enforcement for daily blotters or incident summaries. When something major that LE needs help on happens, LE usually does a press release, but most things never make the news, and when they do, they screw the details up so badly that the incident is rendered unrecognizable.

Heck, I have done a hostage rescue that didn't make the press, and most standoffs and many shootings never make it either.
View Quote

You got that right.  Wasn't it just a day or two ago that there was some kind of an armed standoff up at Balcones and 183??  I remember local FOX broke in to report it, but I can't find any archived stories in the local media about it.  Anybody remember when Red's backstop failed and sent rounds into the intermural fields behind it?  I couldn't beleive nobody started screaming about "the children" and calling for the place to be shut down.  It had a total of maybe two blurbs in the local press and then nothing.  This town is certainly strange....
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#50]
you're a typical fucking moron
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top