Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2003 6:53:30 PM EDT
I was wondering if any of you guys have done this, buy a spendy item up there then claim it to get a tax refund thru their customs.

I think I am gonna do it because I want a $2500 bike but only want to pay $1850(conversion rate) PLUS I wont pay any tax!

I know I know buy American...but damn Im poor

Any of you guys ever do this?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You cant claim back all tax, they have a hefty sales tax up there, you might get some back, but not all of it. Also, there are restrictions depending on the specific item and its usage.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
 You're buying it in Cananda and then coming back to the US with the bike?

Normally, any purchase over $50 Canadian you have to pay the tax.  You take your receipt to the Duty Free shop just inside the border of Canada.  They'll refund the Canadian GST, but if BC has it's own added tax I don't think that will be refunded.

Edited to add:

I forgot, with an item that expensive you will likely have to pay a tax to US Customs when you bring it back into the US.

mm
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Tax depends on what you purchase..NAFTA comes into play. I have friends that go across to buy motorcycles that were made in US and then shipped to Canada. Taxes/Customs are about nil thanks to NAFTA and the save a bundle because of the exchange rate. One guy saved about $800USD on a 4wheeler by taking a 45min drive north. Not bad!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I called US Customs, they said that "If the Item was made IN Canada then the item will be covered under NAFTA and no US tax will be applied. But you must declare it upon entry or it will be seized and you will have to pay a penalty."

WOOHOO!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
If the item was made in the USA for EXPORT to Canada it is covered as well. This was the case w/ the 4wheelers my friends purchased. Looks like we are clear going either way now, huh?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
also found out how to get a Canadian tax rebate that you paid on the item

[url]http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/visitors/index-e.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Around here you stop at the duty-free shop on the way back over the border.  On a purchase that large, US Customs may want you to pay a tax.  Then again, "Yes, Mr. Customs officer, I was in Canada to do some mountain biking, that's why I have my mountain bike, which I've had for 3 years, on my car."

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#9]
In my experience, don't lie to the Customs people on either side. Be upfront with them. F'rinstance, I've purchased muzzleloaders in Canada, and told the agents on both sides of the border. No problems.

I bring along bills of sale for them, whether I'm bringing them to or from reenactments I participate in in Canada, and if you're up front with them, have all the necessary paperwork, no problem from either side. They don't even ask to see the papers.

And no, flintlocks don't require a permit or tax for Canadians or foreigners in Canada.

I think in general Customs people are more worried about illegal drugs, immigrants and "real" guns than they are about where motorcycles, bikes, 4X4s, etc., were purchased.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I called US Customs, they said that "If the Item was made IN Canada then the item will be covered under NAFTA and no US tax will be applied. But you must declare it upon entry or it will be seized and you will have to pay a penalty."

WOOHOO!!
View Quote

That's cool.

mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top