BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2003 6:07:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Friends winning multiple door prizes, and ones guys wife winning two .50's.
Sad...
http://www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004492

quote:can you explain that if there was in excess of 300 people there, one of the mods wife won 2 .50 cal rifles? or other gun-talk mods won multiple prizes? what are the odds of that really happening?

View Quote

Assuming she bought just two tickets?  1:300 and 1:300 for each ticket.

Although, it was probably like 100 people there and one person bought probably 50 tickets.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
At any professional type event you always here that staff and family members are not eligable to participate.  That is how it should be to avoid question about who won the prizes.  You would think that after last years scam BRC would have understood this better than anyone.  But from the looks of it they figure they got away with it last year so they did the same thing this year.

BTW, were are the people that were staunchly defending the BRC and claiming it was going to be a legit event this year?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, AW is down right now, and on GT they have posted the winners. I didn't look real close, but it appears like nobody won multiple prizes ie. the .50's
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
aw works for me, but  the only info I find about brc is that link posted by TimJ
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Hasn't there been enough name calling and inuendo about the BRC and those involved?  Last year when it was all stirred up it bordered on slander, no, it was slander.  Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I spoke with a Castle Arms employee earlier today about this.  I was very forceful and asked him specifically about what happened.  I believe what he told me, which is:

ARlady won both .50 rifles, she is not married to anyone from Castle Arms.  The only employee of Castle who is married is Tim (poor woman).  ARlady took the first .50 that she won and kept it, and refused the second one.  The first .50 was given as a prize for the raffles that were bought ahead of time, and the second .50 was given as a door prize, with two completely different pools of tickets, not that it will make any difference to most people here.  The drawing was re-done and someone else took the rifle home, he was named but I can't remember his name right now.  Just like last year, they had problems with a relatively few people buying raffle tickets like crazy to increase their odds, and their poor planning in this respect has resulted in situtions like this that just look bad.  Personally I think the whole prize thing is kind of [red]gay[/red], people don't have to get bribed to attend Bulletfest or Knob Creek, but they show up anyway.  Maybe Castle should consider THAT.

Before you guys start some shit I suggest talking to one of the few people who actually bothered to show up.  If you can find one.  Until then, boycott Glock or whoever else you want to your heart's content, but for pete's sake can we get some facts in here before the shitstorm starts?  Remember DU is where ignorant people go to hate other people without letting the facts get in the way.  We have no room for that shit here.
View Quote

Duke,... Dammit!! This is just NOT the night for yet another "GAY" topic!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad...

quote:can you explain that if there was in excess of 300 people there, one of the mods wife won 2 .50 cal rifles? or other gun-talk mods won multiple prizes? what are the odds of that really happening?

View Quote

View Quote

I don't think it can be the same odds for 2 tickets. Buying the first one changes the odd for the second one. 1:300 for one ticket; 1:150 for two tickets.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hasn't there been enough name calling and inuendo about the BRC and those involved?  Last year when it was all stirred up it bordered on slander, no, it was slander.  Give it a rest.
View Quote

Are you related to any Castle employees or owners Free Man?

This is a yes or no question.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
IBTL....
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]people don't have to get bribed to attend Bulletfest or Knob Creek, but they show up anyway.[/b]

exactly. we do give away a few items (basically worthless, in terms of value)...but the goal of bulletfest is just to get folks out to meet each other and blast the crap out of some cool targets.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[b]people don't have to get bribed to attend Bulletfest or Knob Creek, but they show up anyway.[/b]

exactly. we do give away a few items (basically worthless, in terms of value)...but the goal of bulletfest is just to get folks out to meet each other and blast the crap out of some cool targets.
View Quote

Keep it real bro.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#14]
As far as drawings... I used to fly Radio Control model airplanes.  If you know what this is, I was an AMA Contest Director, and held a 4 digit AMA number.  I also judged "Pattern".  I was involved in many contests.  It was not unusual to see top competitors draw a prize.  Nor was it unusual to see some 10 year old with big eyes get something cool, too.  For the drawings, yes, everyone was eligible.  There are two kinds of goodies.  Some are purchased ahead of time for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc in each class.  Radios, kits, engines, etc.  Others are donated prizes from hobby shops and manufacturers, anything from propellers to gallons of fuel, little bags of hardware, fuel tanks, but also, big stuff such as radios, kits, engines.  These are given away with little hourly or half hourly drawings.  And these are open to everyone.

It is not unusual to have stuff left over, unclaimed, or just have too much stuff to give away, try as you may.  The shops and mfgs are generous, I find, not "greedy capitalists."

I also talked to one guy who raced R/C boats, a many time national winner.  He said, Radios?  Last thing I need is another radio, engine, or boat kit.  I win those and I draw them.  What I do is give them away to kids in my neighborhood to get them started.

So, if you witnessed first-hand something not on the up and up, say so.  If not, perhaps it is best not to imply bad motives to people you don't know.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The only thing that would amaze me about BRC is if something HONEST happened.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad...

View Quote

View Quote

I don't think it can be the same odds for 2 tickets. Buying the first one changes the odd for the second one. 1:300 for one ticket; 1:150 for two tickets.
View Quote

Assuming you have 300 tickets in the hopper and you draw one ticket out.  The chances of THAT TICKET being drawn are 1:300.  If you set aside that winning ticket and draw another winner from the remaining 299 tickets then every ticket has a 1:299 chance left.

An individual can increase their chances of WINNING with the purchase of more tickets.  However, the probability of one ticket being drawn over the other is still 1:300, or 1:299, etc.

If the lady who won two .50's had 150 tickets out of 300 she has increased her chances of winning something, but the probability per ticket is unchanged.

Still doesn't change the fact that family of the company employees who organized should be excluded from participating.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#17]
[b]If not, perhaps it is best not to imply bad motives to people you don't know.[/b]

afm, many of us know the people involved very well.

i will not make implications about their motives as i attended the brc LAST YEAR...and not this year's event.

i would say that the low number in attendance certainly increased the odds of those in attendance of winning a prize or two.

if it is one thing tim and john did well, it was to gather up a ton of cool stuff to give away.

i agree about the kids getting prizes. those youngsters that got the chipmunk rifles as prizes at the first brc were very excited to have one their first firearm.

btw, i didn't win anything at the first brc, but i was still happy for those that did.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey !!  We have rodney king as a member here !! [rolleyes]

BTW, how about an answer to Naked80's question....are you a castle crony or a friend or relataive of one ?
A simple yes or no question.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If the lady who won two .50's had 150 tickets out of 300 she has increased her chances of winning something, but the probability per ticket is unchanged.
Ed
View Quote

Yes, both tickets had a 1/300 chance to win. Both the chances that _both_ tickets win, would be more like 1/300*300, no?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

[;)]

[img]http://rbad.ar15.com/antigay.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[;)]

[url]http://rbad.ar15.com/antigay.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Note #1 to self:  "Stay out of the mud."

Note #2 to self:  "NEVER, NEVER, NEVER post my photo on the internet."

Note #3 to self:  "Beer is good."
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Spectre and N80, if I were to answer that do you supposed that I would be banned from the site, my acct sudden closed, my ISP blocked from access, unable to respond?  Could you assure me of that?
View Quote

What do you think you would be banned for ??
Unless you violate the posted code of conduct or other posted rules, or if you had been previously banned and are using another username to get around that ban, then I don't care who you are, you can stay and speak your mind.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ed
View Quote

Yes, both tickets had a 1/300 chance to win. Both the chances that _both_ tickets win, would be more like 1/300*300, no?
View Quote

Your right Kar98, the odds are squared or 1 in 90000.  The outcome of the two selections are independent of each other.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Spectre and N80, I have IM'd you.

(Edited to add)  Banned from the site?  It has happened to others in dealing with this subject.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spectre and N80, if I were to answer that do you supposed that I would be banned from the site, my acct sudden closed, my ISP blocked from access, unable to respond?  Could you assure me of that?
View Quote

What do you think you would be banned for ??
Unless you violate the posted code of conduct or other posted rules, or if you had been previously banned and are using another username to get around that ban, then I don't care who you are, you can stay and speak your mind.
View Quote

There is a precedent for this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I have never been banned, and have only ever used one name, A Free Man, which I use on other gun sites, too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Since they were apparently separate ticket pools the chance for each ticket was 1/(#of tickets)  so as they are drawn the chance increases slightly as the pool gets smaller.

The chances of winning something in both before any are drawn is  1/#of ticketsPool1 * I/#of ticketsPool2.

The above are for winning a specific prize.  If looking at winning any prize than it is #ofPrizes/#ofTickets
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I can assure you that the Castle Arms Crew is above reproach. [;)]  
They probably didn't even steal all that much THIS year. [:D]

As a testament to their honesty, I have decided to make this super secret information public:

Here is a covert photo of the FIRST PRIZE being awarded.  

[i]Edited to remove image and insult. You should know better people. Keep attacks out of discussions! --GB[/i]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#29]
His mom !?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Is that really his mother?

Wow...  They really DO keep it "in the family". [:D]

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn RBAD!

Anyway, I think the biggest factor in the prizes this year (I wasn't there this year but I was last year) was the very low turnout. Seems like they had a prize for every two participants. Good odds in my book.

I'm going to Bulletfest and Gunstock this year. Campy would need at least 500 door prizes to have the same odds...

I hate that all this shit has happened. The BRC could have been a hell of a good annual meet.

Life goes on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I would like to think this country is big enough to host two great events about the rifle we love.

The BRC was a fun time again this year. Their were 2 ranges set up for machine gun, one for long range and one for pistol. Plus the vendor tent and food tent. So no picture is going to show a huge crowd, yes their was less attendees than last year. Many I was looking forward to seeing again were not there. I still count them as friends and hope to shake their hand again someday.

As far as Gunstock goes, I'm hoping for a fantastic event for all. I will not be able to attend because of building a house on the farm. Yes I'm leaving the rat race behind, at 53 I'm going to enjoy life if it's the Lord's will.

Maybe I will be able to do more fun stuff next year including Campy's Bulletfest. I am not against burning up some ammo and being with friend's.

I personally have not been wronged by anyone on AR15.com nor have I been by anyone at Castle or GT. So I count all as friend's.

Thank's for listing to me ramble on.

Now let's get together and get this AWB lifted.

Eddie

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#35]
[size=4][b]Hello! BeauBeaux![/b][/size=4]

Nice seeing y'all here again!

Yeah, I feel sorta ticked that I couldn't make it up to the Barry Ice House to be with y'all this year!

Was it the same, as last year?

Damn! I miss y'all Tennesseans!

Sorry to hear you can't make [b]Gunstock![/b] I would love to give you the [b]Hun's Tour of Central Texas![/b]

Maybe next year??!!

Eric The('T'ForTexas,'T'ForTennessee)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
RBAD, what are you talking about?  That's not John Spake at all, that's Mike Friend, a class II manufacturer at Firing Line, and I'm pretty sure that's Gary Harpole's mother.  Do you really know any of these people or what?
View Quote

That would be a no. Kinda sad I think. I don't think RBAN was even at the BRC last year. Which would mean all his info is second or third hand. Hmmm...... How can one have so much malice for an event they didn't even attend???
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
RBAD, what are you talking about?  That's not John Spake at all, that's Mike Friend, a class II manufacturer at Firing Line, and I'm pretty sure that's Gary Harpole's mother.  Do you really know any of these people or what?
View Quote

That would be a no. Kinda sad I think. I don't think RBAN was even at the BRC last year. Which would mean all his info is second or third hand. Hmmm...... How can one have so much malice for an event they didn't even attend???
View Quote

I was there, as you know.  It is safe to say there is no malice toward "the event" or any of the attendees.  There is extreme malice toward the pernicious organizers of said event--only due to their proclivity to engage in evil acts--nothing personal.  "A man is known by the company he keeps."  If you wish more information about your friends, just ask.

Edit to match mine.
View Quote

Well, thanks for "Judging" me then. I thought that was God's job. But I digress. [banana]
See ya next year!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Hi Folks..  No offense intended to any attendee of the "BRC".  

The photos were e-mailed to me. (apparently by one of the very very very few people that did attend the event)   The e-mail stated that the gentleman depicted in the photo was, in fact, John Boy Spake.

As I have had the "pleasure" of meeting the fool personally, I had no way to determine that it was not him.

I have never met antiUSSA (Tim Greene) either.  BUT ---->  I DID talk to him a few times on the phone.  MOST of those times, he was begging me for money to pay his "medical bills".  [rolleyes]   (or ... was it to pay for rehab?)

Yup..  I was STUPID enough to fall for his crap.  (Just like Castle Arms and their phoney BIA fund)

----------------------------------    

Thanks for informing me of the true identity of the people depicted in the pics.  

BTW:  The photos were and are hosted on MY servers.  Duh !

Hehehe..  Malice.  What a great word.  
I do have malice toward people that rob and steal from fellow gun owners.   [;D]
[s]
Hmm...  Did Castle Arms ever file for the required   oops...  [/s]  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks Hank..

AND ---->  Damn...  I was so busy watching cartoons that I missed the good morning post !!  [:D]

With reference to any supposed "copyright" issues, my personal policy is to remove any and all photos if the rightful owner contacts me regarding the utilization of the material.
(note --> i have yet to be contacted by anyone about the photos in question in this post)

(these pics were sent to me from an attendee, so wasn't aware of the true identities of the subjects.  fortunately you guys let me know who they were....  
Otherwise it would have been very difficult to ascertain this info..... I would have had to check with all [b]23[/b] of the folk who actually did attend the event! [:D])

----------------------------------------------

BTW:  If anyone has any photos of the Castle Cronies participating in any of their usual antics (drinking, accosting underage girls, raffle shenanigans, collection of funds for phoney "charities", etc..  PLEASE forward 'em on over....  

I need to brush up on my PhotoShopping Skills. [:D]

------------------------------------------

[b]Remember ---->   C'mon down to GunStock !!! [/b]

(fortunately for us....  I've heard that the DFW "Crew" will be buying us beer and lap dances for the duration of the event !  [;)])

[img]http://xzodus.com/funny_images/gunstockPoster_new.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I attended again this year.  I had a great time.  Missed the people who didn't make it (for whatever reasons), and made a few new friends.  

I saw both drawings.  The Raffle Prizes were a Laminated Stock State Arms rifle and a custom AK in 5.45 donated by the Firing Line.  The Drawings were fair (can't recall who drew the raffle drawing, though).  Both winners were happy (and very surprised) by winning.  

The Door Prizes were drawn later that night (Saturday).  I would guess that between 50 and 100 people stayed for the Door Prizes.  The prize tickets were drawn by Fran (from the Ice House).   Lots of "no-shows" for the Door Prizes.  I won a couple of things, and am happy with all of them (pre-registered, got 8 tix for the full duration of the event).  The initial winner of the State Arms .50 Laminated rifle WAS the winner of the Shorty (Tactical Stock), and she had the utmost class to walk up there and say that she couldn't take both of them, and to please re-draw.  How many of us would have done the same?

I will give a few personal observations of the drawings--as fair as any I have seen in the past, with a neutral individual drawing.  I watched a couple of vendors donate prizes at their display and those prizes were carried to where the other prizes were stored.  I watched all the organizers (in public view) catalog all the prizes for the drawings.  

Whatever happened last year is water under the bridge.  As another board member said "I don't have a dog in that fight, so I don't give a damn."  Let it go people.  Fighting, finger pointing, etc. will only hurt the firearms community in general.  I have heard of several vendors that WILL NOT PARTICIPATE in ANY events because of hard feelings after last years BRC.  

I will not be able attend Gunstock this year (because I have just started a residency, and money will be tight), but will when I am able.  I will also continue to attend the BRC for as long as I am able to also.  

This board and others are my relief from stress.  I consider board members here (and elsewhere) as family members and when my (real) Brothers start to fight, I don't pick sides, just let them resolve it amongst themselves.  Come Christmas and other family get-togethers, I do expect them to be at least civil to each other, or I will kick their asses (I still outweigh them by at least 50 lbs).  

I will add as an end-note that the saddest thing I heard at the BRC concerned the Ice House.  A fair number (8 or more) people just decided not to show up and did not bother to notify Fran and her Husband.  That is the worst crime in my eyes of this whole affair--hurting good people who were not involved in the feud at all.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top