Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2003 3:02:57 PM EDT
I was driving this morning, and I listen to various AM news stations since FM is really horrible...today it was 1070, which, by the way, is one of the few stations that actually air Recall Davis advertisements.  On the station, one of the reporters was giving an update on the recall situation.  In his report, he said that Gray Davis has said that even if the Recall is successful, he won't give up his governorship.

So, what is the next step if we elect another governor, and Davis refuses to step down?  As far as I'm concerned, the answer is that he would need to be arrested.  However, what agency does that?  What law enforcement agency in CA ISN'T under his thumb since they have put their political health into his basket?  Does the National Guard get involved, and if so, who will they be loyal to?  My understanding is that our National Guard is under the command of the governor unless the President specifically calls them up, but this still doesn't clarify the question.  Who will their commanders recognize as their lawful leaders, Davis or the newly elected governor, and will the rank and file comply?  Does the President or any Federal agency have any right to step in, given that it is a state matter?

I suppose that this question is especially important to Californians, but I think it would be interesting to get answers from others as well.  Please, this is a serious question, and I am really interested in the steps to be taken if this event does present itself.  

Again, I don't think that weasel has the guts to do such a thing, but since he has thrown down the gauntet, who knows?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Remember the book, "Dont shoot the bastards (Yet)!"?  Remove "Dont" and "(yet)."

DISCLAIMER:
B_E Does not advocate any violence towards the Gov. of Cali.  This response is to serve as an outlandish and humorous suggestion not to be taken seriously..BY ANYONE.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
He is the Commander in Chief of his own army:  the California state militia.

Too bad for him the militia hasn't been called up since the Dust Bowl days of the 1930s when we were assigned to turn poor migrant workers back at the border.  We're probably the least trained and organized of all state militias.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Does that mean that the California chapter of the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association gets to "recall" him?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't shoot the bastards, stab them instead.  

Guns get a bad enough name as it is.  

Davis will leave if he is recalled, his party will force him out.  His career is pretty much finished if this goes through.  

The democrats are not going to run anyone against him for the recall election.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does that mean that the California chapter of the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association gets to "recall" him?
View Quote

Thanks for reminding me, KB.

I am ONE SCOPE MOUNT shy of a very nice single-shot 50 BMG rifle.  Signing up for an FCSA membership is on my To Do list.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Republicans have just the Senator to do it

[url]http://republican.sen.ca.gov/web/31/[/url]

Et tu, Brulte?

[rofl2]

If anyone is interested in seeing what the state Constitution says about recalling a governor, go to [url]http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/const.html[/url] and search for the word "recall".  It's all spelled out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Take him out back of the barn and beat the shit out of him?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In what county is Sacramento? Does the sheriff there have a hair on his sack?
View Quote

The "Sheriff", is prolly NOT aware of his own authority........

(It gives me joy that you know though!! [snoopy])
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Take him out back of the barn and beat the shit out of him?
View Quote

I wish.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Too complicated.  Change the locks on his door.  At some point he has to get up to poop or eat.  then he can't get back in.

Do you really think he could say I'm not going?  That the National Guard would rush to his defense, the California State Reserve (Yeah the Nat'l Guard has it's own reserve - they go watch the Armories when the Guard leaves.  I've met a few, GAWD what a bunch of losers.), the CHP?  maybe the Correctional Officers, he's been in their pocket for years.

Give me a freakin break, you need to check your aluminum foil it seems to be leakin again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]
i would guess Bush could order him to step down or something?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
WTF?  SOunds like the pres of a third world contry who refuses to give up power to the military.

Well I see only one solution.  Let the military come in and forcefully remove his sorry ass from power.  Send that terrorist to Camp x-Ray or whatever it's called and detain him indefinitely.

Red Davis is one funny SOB.  He calls people pushing this sore losers and he won fair and square.  Hey asshole, the stinking Kommie constitution has provisions for this sort of thing.  The lamefuck would know this if he ever read it.

Fair and square right jackoff?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
[LOL]

Now why would some asshole like this want to ban guns?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Guns get a bad enough name as it is.  

Davis will leave if he is recalled, his party will force him out.  His career is pretty much finished if this goes through.  

The democrats are not going to run anyone against him for the recall election.  
View Quote

Running another Democrat against him will just dilute the Democratic vote.  I'm worried too many people will run from the Conservative side and dilute the vote.  Is there a run-off provision if no one gets 50%?  IIRC that's what ususally happens in CA.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Why not just lock Davis and Ahhnold in a room together and see who comes out?[:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
The people put him in charge of the state government.  If the people remove him from that charge the government should remove him.  If the government fails to do so it is up to the people to regain control of the government by whatever means necessary.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Hmmm... interesting thoughts.

I believe the CHP is the highest ranking state law enforcement agency.  There used to be a separate State Police but they were incorporated into the CHP a few years ago.  That brings up an interesting question.

Doesn't the state AG oversee the CHP as the state's "top cop".  If that's the case then that would put bosom buddy Lockyer in the position of issuing the warrant to arrest Davis and the CHP would get the job.

Anyone remember Watergate and the Saturday Night Massacre?  A bit different, but shades of it to be sure.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#21]
woohoo look at all the wanna-be revolutionaries.
Go back to re-reading Unintended Consequences.

We're going to get the sigs required to oust Davis. Last news was we had ~80% of the required total.

Davis will have to step down.

A few political pundits have pointed out that if the recall effort does succeed to meet the requirements, all Davis has to do (for the Democrats) to thwart it is RESIGN. His Dem Lt.Governor steps up, and their party retains control.

Here's hoping Ahnold really does become the Gov. in a few months...

www.recallgraydavis.com

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Not being governor anymore, his refusal to leave would simply turn him into a trespasser...

Unless the whole state government alligned with him, the new Gov could just have your state patrol arrest and remove him...

Now if the whole of CA state govt decides to give their voters a big F-U, then we get federal intervention...

Technically, refusing to leave office once ousted is a civil rights violation... The Feds would get involved as needed to restore proper legitimate govt...

I wonder how effective the Cali National Guard would be at removing unpopular politicos from office???
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Just came across this:

[url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/6875275p-7825094c.html[/url]

Anti-recall strategy: It's Davis or GOP

Four key Democrats say they won't run if there's a midterm election.

By Margaret Talev -- Bee Capitol Bureau
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Four high-ranking California Democrats on Tuesday ruled out candidacies to replace Gov. Gray Davis midterm if a Republican-led effort to recall him proceeds to an election.

The public statements by Treasurer Phil Angelides, Attorney General Bill Lockyer, Controller Steve Westly and Insurance Commissioner John Garamendi followed weekend strategy sessions held in Sacramento by the California Labor Federation to determine how Democratic politicians and organized labor could best block a recall from going forward.

The labor federation's executive secretary-treasurer, Art Pulaski, said the focus of the session was how to stop recall supporters from collecting the 897,158 voter signatures needed under state law to hold a special election this fall or next spring.

Democratic voters may be less open to the recall, Pulaski said, if they know their only option is to replace Davis, unpopular because of a state energy crisis and a budget crisis, with a Republican.

"It's a message to voters now that says, 'Your choices are stark choices,' " he said.

The four Democrats, Pulaski said, are "willing to step aside -- and I'm sure it's hard -- to say, 'This is not right for California, and I'm going to do the principled thing and wait my turn.' "

However, political consultants suspected their motivations were more complicated than doing what was best for their party.

"A number of polls have shown that Angelides and Lockyer are both surprisingly weak in a recall election for governor" compared with Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante, said Republican consultant Kevin Spillane. "They're trying to look like they're Democratic loyalists and win political brownie points for not running in an election that they would be almost certain to lose."

Democratic political consultant Gale Kaufman said the recall poses an unusual challenge for prospective candidates. Not only have they no way of knowing how many others will join the race or when it will be held, the recall election schedule will provide relatively little time to campaign compared to a typical election.

"Part of the calculation for anybody is the uncertainty in this kind of race," Kaufman said, "and why put yourself at substantial risk when you are a viable candidate for 2006?"

Bustamante has not pledged to stay out of a recall, although he has spoken out against it. Neither has another Democrat, U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who, as the most popular California politician in polls, is considered the strongest potential replacement candidate from either party should a recall election qualify for the ballot. Both have had rocky relations with Davis over the years.

But Feinstein dislikes recalls, having been the target of a failed attempt two decades ago as mayor of San Francisco. Her political strategist said she plans to run for re-election in 2006, and in recent days she has contacted several Democrats individually, asking them to actively oppose the recall.

On Tuesday, Angelides' pledge came during noontime remarks to the Sacramento Press Club when he said, "I do not intend, nor will I consider, running in this recall election."

Within hours, Lockyer issued a statement saying, "I do not intend to submit my name as a candidate" if the recall qualifies for a special election.

Said Garamendi, "I have no intention of running should the recall qualify."

Westly pledged not to run prior to the weekend labor session. His staff reiterated the pledge Tuesday in a statement saying Westly "said today that he will not run for governor this year should a recall qualify for the state ballot."

The recall campaign was launched in February by anti-tax advocates and conservative Republicans who blamed Davis for a state budget deficit that has swelled to $38.2 billion and opposed tax increases the governor suggested.

It languished until April, when U.S. Rep. Darrell Issa, a wealthy Republican from San Diego County who wants to be governor, announced he would finance a recall signature-gathering campaign.

Issa has donated $800,000 so far, and proponents claim to be at more than the halfway point with signatures.

Issa is the only formal Republican candidate, although state Sen. Tom McClintock and former GOP gubernatorial nominee Bill Simon, also conservatives, are considering running.

Movie star Arnold Schwarzenegger, considered a moderate, is weighing a candidacy.

Should the recall qualify, voters would be asked two questions: Whether to retain Davis, and if not, with whom to replace him.

If Davis is rejected, his replacement would be decided with a plurality vote. In a state controlled by Democratic voters, Republicans' best chance at winning is likely a ballot with many Democrats and one or two Republicans.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone who does not support the governor who is a vietnam war hero, is showing their true anti-american colors. You people make me sick.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone who does not support the governor who is a vietnam war hero, is showing their true anti-american colors. You people make me sick.
View Quote

LOL!

Call me that if you wish but he has to go.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#26]
LETS DO IT OLD SKOOL STYLE -- get out the pitchforks and torches, we could have a weenie roast with that bastard swinging from the nearest tree outside the capitol. [:D]

my guess is the DOJ would be the ones to arrest that yellow turd, then CHP or maybe the county sheriff, then capitol police.

if a new Gov is elected in, does he finish out davis term? or start a whole new 4 year term ?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Funny. Just about the time when SB23 was passed (the CA assault weapons ban) There was a recall effort underway. That failed SO MISERABLY Gray Davis (Governor Low-Beam) just laughed in our faces about it.

When this effort started, he then again laughed at it... until a couple of months ago when you can swear you heard "Oh Sh*t. I think I have something to worry about"

Talk show hosts here are playing it out this time. John and Ken, Al Rantel...EVEN Sean Hannity and Bill O Reilly are talking about it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#28]
i remember the first recall effort, in reality it didnt fail miserably, i beleive they got 60-80% of the Sigs needed.
the problem was lack of money, lack of support from pro-gun org's, the goals and reasons for the recall werent clearly in line with other agendas. the biggest hurt was the first forms they were using were later deemed inadmissible, so they had to start over from scratch with new forms, and many people who signed before didnt sign again because they thought they already did.
with all the problems they had lacking support, money, and paid sig gatherers they got pretty far. not bad for a purely grassroots effort.

with this recall effort the agenda is much more clear, repubs and gun org's are coming out to support it, and Issa has thrown in some $$$ to get those paid sig gatherers.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#29]
If California is anything like Arkansas, you won't get this on the ballot even if you collect 800 billion signatures. I don't know how many times we have tried to get a repeal of the property tax on the ballot, and it gets thrown out by a Clinton appointed judge. Every time, we have enough signatures, every time it gets thrown out. Same with gambling, wet/dry counties etc.
good luck,
tony
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

We as voters have a responsibility to look out for ourselves, and to rebuke our elected leaders if they are caught in malicious acts, or even if they are just plain incompetent.  Given that the depth of Davis's deception did not even come out until after the election, the voters were deceived into a false sense of what the state of affairs in CA really were.  Given this malicious and willful pattern of lying, taking the steps to boot him out of office is the most AMERICAN thing that WE CAN DO!!!  

This is one of the many things that makes America so great!  We have the ability to affect a revolution in this country that does not require bloodshed.  Amazing, given human history.  When our leaders take advantage of their position, and forget that they are only trusted servants, and begin to believe themselves God, and above the law, they must be taught their true place.

BTW....Imbrog, if a vietnam war vet stole everything you had, your home, your ability to educate your kids, your savings, your salary, would you excuse him because he happened to do something heroic 30 years ago?  Past good deeds do not excuse reprehensable behaviour today.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, golly, maybe if we sent in Jesse Jackson or heck, golly gee, Jimmy Carter, they could straighten this lil' tiff out, whaddyathink? Maybe they could broker a peace deal and find the road map to peace. Group hug, Kalistanis?[rolleyes][:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe they can work out a similar deal for that piece of shit bill lockyer.  Fag Davis' right handjob man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top