Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2003 12:55:37 PM EDT
my wife is going to be following me in her saturn across country. the tabs on her plates run up the last day of June. we are going to be leaving kentucky on the 4th of July. probably be 4 days of driving. kentucky wants $75 to renew her plates for the entire year.i am not going to pay that, then a week later turn around and pay it again in washington. should i just risk driving across with expired tabs? IF i get pulled over explain the situation to the cop and hope he gives us a break? what are the chances i'm actually going to get pulled over for expired tabs?

i'll probably follow her most of the time in the Uhaul truck, so they shouldn't be able to see them. but there are times i won't be directly behind her.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Does KY issue temporary paper tags? If so, they should be a lot cheaper than $75 (or the tickets you will pay as you drive thought a hundred or so money-grubbing jurisdictions).
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd risk it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Does KY issue temporary paper tags
View Quote

they do, but only dealers have them. only will give you one for buying one of their vehicles. the county courthouse said we'd have to pay for the whole year, and wouldn't issue a temporary tag.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go for it.  Most state troopers probably won't be paying attention to whether the registration on an out-of-state plate has expired.  

Edited to add - IBTL (after all, we're discussing something illegal).
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll probably not get pulled over just for an expired out-of-state tag, but the tag may cause problems if you're pulled over for any other reason, or involved in an accident. Check to see if your insurance covers your car if it's driven with expired registration. Also, can you get the WA registration in advance?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You could get the KY tags and inspection before you move, then drive around WA for almost a year with KY tags.  I believe WA will "respect" the KY tags and insp sticker.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
risk it

if you get caught, explain it to the trooper, maybe you'll get a kind one
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd risk it..

IIRC, around here, there's a 30day grace period.

ie; if your plates "expire" in june, you have all of july to catch up.

just behave like I know you will anyway. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
One thing to look into would be the licensing fees in your new home state, some charge according to the value of your car (Indiana). $75 to avoid that for a year would be a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You'll probably not get pulled over just for an expired out-of-state tag, but the tag may cause problems if you're pulled over for any other reason, or involved in an accident. Check to see if your insurance covers your car if it's driven with expired registration. Also, can you get the WA registration in advance?
View Quote

Insurance goes by VIN numbers--I've never had an agent or underwriter ask for plate or tag numbers.  If you have a loan to pay off for the car, sooner or later your lender may require you to register your car in you state of residence.  For the 2 years I was in the PRK, passing through from TX to ID, nobody, including my insurance company, cared that I didn't register the trucks in the PRK.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
A well placed dab of mud will solve your problem. Why go high tech when you can go low tech?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You could get the KY tags and inspection before you move, then drive around WA for almost a year with KY tags.  I believe WA will "respect" the KY tags and insp sticker.
View Quote

I'm in the military, and I do this EVERY time I move.  Seems tags always come due right before you move, so I just leave them on and buy new ones a year later.  As far as I can tell, most states have a residency requirement that says you MUST license your new car in their state within 30 days or some such, but I think it's just a way for states to make more money off of licenses.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
this is a conspiracy to commit a crime

someone call the authorities

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]
get a cheap pair of FRS radioes for the move so you talk to your wife. We never go on vacation without them. A CB is good for the road, too, as even in the middle of nowhere on the highway truckers are around. Better than a radar detector.
View Quote

i have 2 CB radios that i have made into portable units. i spliced a cigarette plug onto the end of the wires, so now i can just plug it into any vehicle i am in. i've also got a cheapo magnetic CB antennae so i can easily move the units between vehicles. one in the Uhaul, and one in the saturn.

Insurance goes by VIN numbers--I've never had an agent or underwriter ask for plate or tag numbers. If you have a loan to pay off for the car, sooner or later your lender may require you to register your car in you state of residence.
View Quote

when we get our vehicles there, we have to have them inspected by our new insurance provider. they won't give us insurance unless our tags and plates are current.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been there. I was looking for a job along the Michigan/Wisconsin border and waited to the last minute to renew my plates. I got a job the day after my birthday in Michigan and was supposed to stop at the Secretary of State office. I forgot, too busy looking for a place to live. The next day, I got stopped for speeding on the way home. Got a ticket for expired plates instead of speed. I stopped at the first Secretary of State office I came to and renewed the plates. Called the county court house of the offended officer and their response: "2 days! He should have never written you a ticket! Just send proof of registration and forget it." Would I risk it again? yes. I once drove a whole year since then with the sticker in the glove box.

Fred
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]
It rains a lot in Washington.
Just stay in Kentucky.
Problem solved.

[Imbro] Pay your taxes like a good citizen. It's the least you can do in support of a government that allows you to prosper under the flag of freedom! Don't be a drain on Society.[/Imbro]

Edited because I mis-spelled Imbro(glio) twice. Must be Psychoticosomatic.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I hate to be curt, but... Just go.  

Edited to say,

I would worry more about the U-HAUL with it's lack of plates, inspection, and roadworthiness.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Just get new KY tabs, WA won't hassle you unless they are out of state and EXPIRED.

By driving to WA with expired tabs you will save $ 40 ..... no make that $ 25 since WA will make you get an emissions check first thing when you get WA plates ![sex]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#21]
They prorate thses things do they not?  I would risk not getting new ones until the move.  Then get new tabs for the rest of the year.  Nothing like a little offroad driving to obsure plates!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#22]
no make that $ 25 since WA will make you get an emissions check first thing when you get WA plates
View Quote

i was under the impression that since we are moving to Lacey(thurston county i think) that i didn't have to do emissions testing. thought that was only a king county thing
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#23]
It is tough enough for the beat cops to keep up with their own state's registration laws, let alone the other 49. The officer probably won't have any idea what the requirements for KY are. I used to keep a sheet in my clipboard that ran down what each state's registration requirements were, but I ran into that issue so seldom that I eventually discarded it during one of my periodic re-organizations. Heck, in my state you get a 6 day grace period, anyway, and your honset explanation at the roadside would probably get you out of a citation from me, at least (though I never have been big on writing tickets; "voluntary compliance" are my buzzwords).

You might get a ticket, but I'd say the odds are low. Just make sure that you register it as soon as you have finished your move.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:57:50 AM EDT
[#24]
As far as I kow you still have to do the inspection. Brother lives in Yelm and had to.
You'll like Lacey. Lived there as a kid some, but now it has grown like all the littl towns out there.
Good luck with the move and hope you like it out there. Sometimes I miss it, but I like the 4 seasons here.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Same boat here.  I'm moving to New Hampshire this month and the truck just came do for re-registration.  Just going to register it in NH as we already own the house there.  But the timing is dead on wrong.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top