Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 12:02:14 PM EDT
OK, I've had a few side jobs finally pay me, so I've got a little extra cash (shhh, can't let my wife find out!)

Anyway, the Eastmans' gun show will be in town (Atlanta) this coming weekend, so I'm looking for ideas...

I've already got an AR15 RR w/ a couple of shorty uppers, so I don't think I want to get another AR or AR receiver (conspiracy to make an SBR and all that).

I've got a Colt 9mm upper, but only 2 converted uzi mags that work (plus 3 converted mags that don't) - maybe I should look for a few more 9mm mags.

I was thinking about:

A .357 lever action carbine
a small .45 for CCW maybe
another upper? (ho hum)

Here's what my humble collection consists of now:

Long Guns
EA AR-15 RR w/ 5 uppers (inc. .22 & 9mm)
SAR-1
Marlin 336 .30-30 lever
Remington 1100 12 ga.
H&R 20ga. Single shot (my first gun)
Ruger 10/22 synthetic stainless
Ruger 10/22 deluxe sporter (was my dad's)

Hand Guns
Colt 1991A1 Stainless .45
Browning HP clone (9mm)
Keltec P32
Ruger Security Six .357 (6"bbl)
.22 single action revolver
Beretta Bobcat .22LR
Browning BuckMark .22

What would be good to round out this collection?  I've already had an HK91 clone (Interport).  Not bad, but not my thing, so I sold it a few months ago.

I don't often have ca$h that I can freely spend on toys, so I want to do this right.  :)

-bob

Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
save up $500 more and get a 50bmg upper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay home and save $5.

Take your $800, and go to your FFL and ask him to order a DSA FAL STG-58. $795 for the gun, and get the $68 scope mount.

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
or a compact glock, or something in a .308
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I noticed your hand gun collection is without a SIG.

A .50 upper is a idea,but I don't know their quality/reliability
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
How about some tactical training, ammo and mags. And if you have anything left over how about some flowers for the wife. This will open the door to all kinds of possibilities (SP?)  :)

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I noticed your hand gun collection is without a SIG.

A .50 upper is a idea,but I don't know their quality/reliability
View Quote

ABSOLUTELY. You gotta geta Sig Sauer. I'm partial to my 229.

re: the BMG 50 -

That's a 50 cal, right?? Where you gonna shoot it??? Seems pointless unless your ex-wife drives a Sherman tank.  [:D]

Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, you have no USP! Everybody needs an HK USP! They are up there with Sigs, but I give the edge to the HK.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
GLOCK G35.  .40 caliber, long slide, competition 3.5# trigger, takes G22 high caps.  Shoots like a dream.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Beef jerky!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I noticed something that your collection is completely missing. Machine Guns!!!

I say save up about $400 more and get yourself a SWD M11/9mm with transfer tax included. I promise it will be the funnest gun in your collection. Plus you will have the added benefit of an investment that you can still shoot without lowering the value too much.

or

If you don't want to save up any more money
then go buy yourself a suppressor for your AR
in either .223 or 9mm. Or you could also get complete suppressed 10/22.

Think big, go NFA...
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]
A hell of a lot of Beanie Babies.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If i had $800 dollars I would buy an assault vest, glock 27, and some mags or other misc. stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Ponyboy, my AR15 RR is a Registered Receiver Conversion - it's a machine gun.

Freedom Fighter - Beef Jerky is a given!  Heck, I'll use the "family" money for that! :)  Oh yea, "family" money will pay for my admission into the show, as well.  ;)

Idaho - Where can I get tactical training for < $1000?

Wiggins - Don't say those words!!!! (My wife might hear!)  ;)

I've thought about an FAL, but I just don't know... a buddy of mine has a thumbhole stocked FAL, and it's allright, but I just don't know if it "does it" for me.

I have a few problems with a BMG upper:
1) I have no where to shoot it
2) I have no where to store it (it looks taller than the inside of my safe!)
3) I can't afford the ammo
4) If I shell out those bucks, I'd still need a good scope
5) I don't think I want a .50 BMG kicking the #%^# out of my $$$$$ registered receiver.

....  maybe I should just buy a good used revolver for the glove box (~$200), look for a deal on that .357 lever rifle (~$250), and then figure out something else to do with the other $350

Although, I've kinda been eyeballing Glock 17's (assuming I can get a few hicaps for it, along with those +2 extenders) just for the sheer amount of firepower it can carry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
That's no joke about the beanie babies. The last gun show I went to had two teenage girls selling hair extensions inbetween a guy selling ak's and a guy selling laser sights. By the way you don't have a good hunting rifle. That was my first gun and I still use it, that is if you hunt. You should start, it's a good time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe a better AK, say a Bulgarian SLR-95 and have money left for ammo and mags.  

Or head off in a new direction with the DSA STG-58 as garandman mentioned.

Or check out the compact CZ's in .40 or 9mm and still have $$$ left. Or get a full size.  With $800 you could probably get both.  

Good luck and have fun.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've thought about an FAL, but I just don't know... a buddy of mine has a thumbhole stocked FAL, and it's allright, but I just don't know if it "does it" for me.

View Quote

BobL-

I wouldn't give a plug nickle for one of those thumbhole Century Arms POS misrepresentations of an FAL. They're junk, and you make a HUGE mistake if you think they are at all representative of a real  FAL.

I had my M4gery and my DSA FAL out on the bipods this weekend. All I can tell ya is my DSA FAL got most of the fondling.

If ya want an FAL, ONLY get a DSA. I'm telling ya, they are SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Opps..I missed the RR part. Just saw AR15, you should have just put M16. An M16 is next on my list, but for the interim I got a cheap mans 16..the AC556. Either way, especially since you aren't newbie to the NFA world I say go for the MAC. It is a really fun gun and a crowd pleaser. No matter what you have to shoot, beltfed or whatever they always want to shoot the MAC, plus its a lot cheaper to feed 9mm than .223, but then you have the 9mm upper so I guess you already know that. But, you can spend an extra $20 or so and pick up a macjack to jump the RPMs up to around 1800 and really throw some lead.

Subguns are the sh*t. An M16 in 9mm is fun, but its still a rifle, its just not the same. Get the Glock later, it will still be the same price.

Again, just my opinion.

Michael
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Garandman got it right.  You NEED an FAL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Bob L--

$800 isn't going to get you much anymore.

I agree with the SIG or HK, but you have two excellent autos in the 1991 and HP, and Single Action is not a handicap at all if you practice with them.  

You say you don't like the Interport.  They are good guns, but I also got rid of my HK 91 (traded it off on an FNC)--I like my FAL's better.  

I go with the DSA Stg-58 guns.  Get one with the money you have.  If you really like it, sell off the Interport and get a Stg-58 Carbine (you will have to get it direct to your dealer to get the $795 price for the standard).  Fit and finish are just as nice as the factory SA-58's.  

A couple of other possibilites:
Sell the Interport at the show.  You should then have $1700-1800 to spend.  If it doesn't sell there, post it on the internet.  

At $1700, you can:
Get an FNC (and pay to get it converted later--and it takes AR/M-16 mags).  

Buy a .50 BMG.  I know you "don't have anywhere to shoot it", but if you get one, you will find a place.  Minimum scope for a .50 is a Tasco SS at about $300.  Right now, you can get a State Arms gun for $1800 before shipping--that is a complete shell holder type gun, very accurate, and this is one with a medium weight barrel (a little shorter than some.  It should fit in the safe).  

Buy a Stemple or a MAC.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Go military - get a Garand or make a deposit on an M1A ,  I like the FAL idea also for $795
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#21]
AFARR:  My bad, I typo'd:  I meant to type "I've HAD an HK-91 clone".  Since it wasn't my thing, I sold it a few months ago - my wife found out about that one, so the money was used for ... hell I dunno WHAT it was used for, but it wasn't used to replace any of my toys, I know that!

I looked at dsa's web site and the cheapest I could find an FAL (their standard rifle) was $1495 - a bit too pricey for me.

This time around, I actually want to walk away with something (or somethings)in my hand, so that rules out anything NFA or .50 cal (since it'd take either a Form4 wait or more $$ - or both).

Maybe I need a good DA WonderNine, just to say I have one (since I have all SA autos right now - which I actually prefer anyway).  A buddy of mine has a SIG (the full size one - is it the 228?) and it's pretty sweet, but I've only fired it once, so I don't have much experience with them.  What kind of price range will I be looking at for a SIG?

-bob
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#22]
enigma2y0u,

When I was ~12 my dad took me quail hunting a few times, and I really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, he died of a heart attack in that same year, and my mother moved us around a bit, finally settling in a suburb of Atlanta (where my wife and I live to this day).  Because of that, I missed out on the experiences of learning to hunt with my dad, and I haven't been able to get anybody to show me - I get all of the "you city slickers don't need to be out here no way!" type comments.

So, while hunting is something I'd REALLY like to do (I truly enjoy being outdoors and in the wild), I don't know how to start.  I don't believe this is the kind of thing where you buy a book, so I'm not EVEN going to go that route.

A good hunting rifle would be nice, if I could use it - and if I could, I'd be on it in a second.

-bob
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Bob,

They still have the Stg-58 for $795.  It might not be listed on their website, but it is around.  It is an Excellent Condition Parts kit (Steyr Stg-58) with a DSA Type 1 or 2 (get the Type 2, as it looks a little nicer and there are fewer of them around) receiver, and US parts to make it legal (can use any mag--and if you were on their website, you saw that they have mags for $5!!!).  

It looks identical to their Standard rifle, with the exception of the muzzlebrake.  It is an imitation "Stoll" flash hider on the Stg-58 rifle.  Fit and finish are up to the level of their SA-58's.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#25]
You need a 308 in there!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Bob_L, as USMC03 said, the $795 is dealer price.  You have to get yourself a FFL holder that isn't greedy and will only charge $20 or so for the transfer.  Then YOU pay DSA for the rifle and have it sent to your dealer.  You go to the dealer, fill out the 4473, and give him the $20.  You're done.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#27]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
enigma2y0u,

When I was ~12 my dad took me quail hunting a few times, and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, he died of a heart attack in that same year, and my mother moved us around a bit, finally settling in a suburb of Atlanta (where my wife and I live to this day). Because of that, I missed out on the experiences of learning to hunt with my dad, and I haven't been able to get anybody to show me - I get all of the "you city slickers don't need to be out here no way!" type comments.

So, while hunting is something I'd REALLY like to do (I truly enjoy being outdoors and in the wild), I don't know how to start. I don't believe this is the kind of thing where you buy a book, so I'm not EVEN going to go that route.

A good hunting rifle would be nice, if I could use it - and if I could, I'd be on it in a second.

-bob

bob, I was not out to offend you. I am going to college in a city right now and it is hard to get out into the outdoors and hunt. I had is good where I grew up because I lived in the outdoors. We had people from all over hunting the hills and I have really nothing bad to say about them. If you are interested in hunting big game animals I can send you information from Wyoming and Utah.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#28]
It can be fun to get a bunch of junk.
M-44's for $99
Model 15's for $150
AR-7 $125
SKS $200
Yugo Mauser for $175
Russian 91-30 for $100
and get accesories.
It would be cool to walk out with all those weapons and accesories...that would be harder to hide from your wife.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Heh... that's be kindof a neat idea SS109... walk out with two arms full of stuff...  :)

-bob
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#30]
enigma2y0u,

No offense taken.  I really would like to hunt, I've just never really been able to.

Of course, I could get a rifle and get ready anyway.  :)

-bob

Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Bob, the .308 thing does sound cool. But it seems to me that you have the begining of an nice collection of handguns( the HP and the 1991a1, so maybe the HK USP and the Sig aren't such a bad idea. I suggest a p220 and USP .45. Maybe purchase one now and put the other on layaway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey, just thought you guys should know:

When I went to the gun show, I got a couple of nickle and dimey type items (an A2 sight tool, another .50 cal ammo can w/ plastic inserts, and two converted uzi mags for my M16 9mm colt conversion).

I wasn't going to get any firearms, since nothing really caught my eye, but then I found a guy selling a Browning branded HiPower.  I'd put the gun at ~94%, since there were a few light scratches at the front of the slide.  Other than that, it was in excellent shape.  Also, this HiPower had the ambidextrious safety.   Anyway, he wanted $400 for it.  I offered him $375 cash and walked away from the table w/ the pistol.

As I said at the top of the thread, I have a HiPower clone (FEG) which I've been pretty happy with.  Now, however, I'm tickeled to death that I found a Browning pistol to go along with my Colt.

In case you're wondering, I spend the rest of my money on a Video CD Recorder ( http://www.goterapin.com/fea_cdaudio.html ).  This thing seems to be just the ticket for dumping my home movies onto something that can be played over and over without wearing out.

Anyways, just thought you guys should know - and thanks for the suggestions.

-bob
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Ammunition. The next that the Anti's will do is to try to ban all lead based ammunition. They will enlist the enviros to help them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top