BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...I think it's pretty funny that I've made no value judgements...
View Quote

[BS]

And I think I'm about done with this thread so here's to you NoVaGator. [beer]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You're correct, you don't have to explain it.
Many has been the time that I've copied information out of magazines, and posted it on a public forum, just because I felt like.
Perhaps I mis-wrote when I asked what your purpose was.
What I really meant is what is your point.
You have an answer seeking a question.
Your original supposition was that NASCAR fans claim that it is the most watched sport, but you data only applies to viewers in a select group.
If that's the case, 100% of the households that I'm aware of watch NASCAR, and 0% watch curling.
I'm not trying to make you look bad, or defend NASCAR, I just want to know why you would trouble yourself to do this, unless you were seeking discussion on the subject.
Now I have a game. Find out what percentage of subscribers to Street&Smiths Sports Business Journal are members of AR15.com. Then find out how many members of AR15.com are in the business of marketing. Then, try to explain to us how you are not just a disgruntled open wheel fan who is upset that we have Tony Stewert and you don't.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
tony stewart?  oh shit, take him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[;)]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
tony stewart?  oh shit, take him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[;)]
View Quote

Oh no no no. But they are welcome to Robby Gordon. Hell, they can take Spencer too, if they can get him into the car.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...Now I have a game. Find out what percentage of subscribers to Street&Smiths Sports Business Journal are members of AR15.com. Then find out how many members of AR15.com are in the business of marketing. Then, try to explain to us how you are not just a disgruntled open wheel fan who is upset that we have Tony Stewert and you don't.
View Quote

[owned]
[ROFL2]

(sorry, couldn't hep it)
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're correct, you don't have to explain it.
Many has been the time that I've copied information out of magazines, and posted it on a public forum, just because I felt like.
Perhaps I mis-wrote when I asked what your purpose was.
What I really meant is what is your point.
You have an answer seeking a question.
Your original supposition was that NASCAR fans claim that it is the most watched sport, but you data only applies to viewers in a select group.
If that's the case, 100% of the households that I'm aware of watch NASCAR, and 0% watch curling.
I'm not trying to make you look bad, or defend NASCAR, I just want to know why you would trouble yourself to do this, unless you were seeking discussion on the subject.
Now I have a game. Find out what percentage of subscribers to Street&Smiths Sports Business Journal are members of AR15.com. Then find out how many members of AR15.com are in the business of marketing. Then, try to explain to us how you are not just a disgruntled open wheel fan who is upset that we have Tony Stewert and you don't.
View Quote

My point: of the six "major" sports, NASCAR has the least affluent demographic, and it's getting even less affluent every year. End of story.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of any form of racing, but if I had to watch one, it would be NASCAR.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My point: of the six "major" sports, NASCAR has the least affluent demographic, and it's getting even less affluent every year. End of story.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of any form of racing, but if I had to watch one, it would be NASCAR.
View Quote

That's kinda what I was getting after. What difference does it make how affluent someone is?
I felt the same as you did until the bug bit me. I used to be the first guy to whip out the, "NASCAR is not a sport." Then, I saw Ricky Rudd pulled out of his car after winning a Race in a car with a casualty to the Air Conditioning system. There are some tough people packed in those vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
when i was racing i'd do 25 laps around a 1/4 mile oval in a field of 20 and would be absolutely DRAINED.  these fuckers do it for hours, they have all my respect for what they do

im just pissed i didnt have the money to continue racing.  anybody that has personally raced or had a lap around a track has immediate respect and love of the sport, damn near guaranteed
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
when i was racing i'd do 25 laps around a 1/4 mile oval in a field of 20 and would be absolutely DRAINED.  these fuckers do it for hours, they have all my respect for what they do

im just pissed i didnt have the money to continue racing.  anybody that has personally raced or had a lap around a track has immediate respect and love of the sport, damn near guaranteed
View Quote

Ditto! (Big H Speedway in Houston circa 1980)

Plus, my wife got me the 10-lapper at Texas Motor Speedway with [url=http://www.teamtexas.com/]Team Texas[/url] for a birthday present. Yowsa!
[banana][banana][banana]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
my wife raced my car in a powderpuff race last year (destroyed the drivers side in a wreck but kept on going).  SHE wants me to get her the TMS package.............
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Since we're down to it now.... [devil]

Why was NASCAR included in a list of [i]sports[/i] people watch?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Wonder what the demographics on drag race fans are? Lower income folks may be watching more races but the folks with money are at the races. At least here in Texas at TMS. It may not be a hockey crowd but they do spend money there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
my wife raced my car in a powderpuff race last year (destroyed the drivers side in a wreck but kept on going).  SHE wants me to get her the TMS package.............
View Quote

I did it. 10 laps in one of Bobby Labonte's retired #18's.

It went slow enough to kick in the limiter on the straightaway but fast enough where you had to let off to get through the turns.
I think the The instructors said they would go 160MPH. I dont think I was going that fast but it is hand to tell when your on a racetrack.

I got passed by a 40+ year old woman on the straightaway between turns 2 and three.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Wasn't trying to make any point, other than what the numbers say: If you're a NASCAR fan, you're more likely to be a member of a lower income household than the fans of other major sports. Also, if you're a member of a high income household, odds are you're more likely to be a fan of sports other than NASCAR.
View Quote

Only an idiot could draw that conclusion from those statistics. People who make less that $20,000 a year cannot afford to go to NASCAR races… so who is going. Even of you assume the statistics used are dead on you are talking fractions of a point.

What are you some kind of class warfare troll, you are obviously an idiot?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Big Bear makes a valid point. Mad Mike, on the other hand, has poor reading comprehension skills. There's a difference between being a fan and attending a race. Idiot.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm always hearing NASCAR fans say that it's the most watched/[b]attended[/b] sport in the US, blah blah blah.
View Quote

And you comprehension skills are so low you do not understand your own post. What part of "attended" in your orginal post did you not understand moron.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm always hearing NASCAR fans say that it's the most watched/[b]attended[/b] sport in the US, blah blah blah.
View Quote

And you comprehension skills are so low you do not understand your own post. What part of "attended" in your orginal post did you not understand moron.
View Quote

I think the combination of watched+attended=fans, you dolt.

Since you say that "only an idiot could draw that conclusion from those statistics" I'd be curious what conclusion you would draw? While you're at it, why don't you point out how my conclusion was flawed.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok you inbred reptile.

The vast majority of “fans” going to the races are certainly not making less than $20,000 therefore you statistics prove nothing in that regard.

While you're at it, why don't you point out how my conclusion was flawed.
View Quote

An equally valid conclusion (also completely unsupportable) could be drawn that because we have been in an economic slump areas in which NASCAR are more popular may have been hit harder and therefore the total number of households that watch NASCAR and make $150,000 has shrunk in relation to the people who watch NASCAR in total.

Or

The total number of households that make $150,000 has grown.

Or

You are just blowing hot air out of your ass.

Any one of those conclusions is just as valid as your original… all of these scenarios are complete bullshit (except the one where you are just blowing hot air out of your ass) because YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION FROM THE ORIGINAL SURVEY TO DRAW ANY VALID CONCLUSION. Where are the middle income statistic you so neatly neglected to include.

There are liars, damn Liars, and statistic, and only a knuckle draging monkey or in your case reptile would make sweeping generalizations based on those scant statistics.

Your intent was to insult. And you made an ass of yourself… are poor people stupid or somehow inferior.

The NASCAR race in Charlotte (on the same day) had much higher national TV ratings that the Indy 500 this year what does that tell you… which is the regional race.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck you both![;)]

IBTL!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#22]
[img]http://pic.geocities.com/clipart/b/e/wannabe.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
If you really want to see some inbred pos fans...go to the "Swamp" during college football season. Talk about mullets and rednecks...good Lord! I guess the only thing Gaytor fans have left since Spurrier is gone...is to whine about other sports.

Yep...they unload busses from Sumter county "hotbed of intellectual giants", and watch them grill possum, racoon and other varmints in the bed of their pick-up trucks.

Get a life Gaytor. [moon]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok you inbred reptile.
View Quote

Starting off on the right foot again.

The vast majority of “fans” going to the races are certainly not making less than $20,000 therefore you statistics prove nothing in that regard.
View Quote

What data do you have of this?

[i]....excessive verbosage deleted....[/i]

Your intent was to insult. And you made an ass of yourself… are poor people stupid or somehow inferior.
[/qoute]

You read minds now, too, eh?

The NASCAR race in Charlotte (on the same day) had much higher national TV ratings that the Indy 500 this year what does that tell you… which is the regional race.
View Quote

Stupid people watch tv, in addition to voting?

I wouldn't know which is local as I don't watch auto racing.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I think the combination of watched+attended=fans, you dolt.

Since you say that "only an idiot could draw that conclusion from those statistics" I'd be curious what conclusion you would draw? While you're at it, why don't you point out how my conclusion was flawed.

View Quote

Well, I'm glad you refrained from the name calling during our set to last night. However, I already pointed out that your logic was flawed, and how.
If you're a NASCAR fan, you're more likely to be a member of a lower income household than the fans of other major sports.
View Quote

The correct conclusion to draw is that if you are a member of a lower income household you are more likely to be a NASCAR fan.
The funny thing here is that you don't report any statistics for middle income families, nor do you report any statistics for the median income of a NASCAR fan.
Either you subscribe to a poor magazine, or you picked and chose your facts to present your case. However, you have yet to state your case, beyond saying that not as many affluent people watch NASCAR as other sports.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#26]
What about the few of us that wake up at 3:00AM to watch the Formula One races and the World Rally Championship? At least they have put motorcycle racing on at normal times now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What about the few of us that wake up at 3:00AM to watch the Formula One races and the World Rally Championship? At least they have put motorcycle racing on at normal times now.
View Quote

Many a blood shot eye going to work later that morning...

Now to really add fuel to the fire:

What form of motorsport has the best drivers?

And the obligatory, NASCAR sucks.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top