Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 9:00:18 PM EDT
I recently got on a sausage making kick... I have all the supplies. I have been looking for a good and easy recipe for dried salami to no avail. I have Prague powder #1 and #2 and Morton Tender Quick... Anyone have a good tried and true recipe for beef salami?

I recently made Boudin and breakfast sausage that kick ass...I made Braunchweiger that sucked. I spent $30 on the casing and ingredients and ended up throwing the whole thing away....My dad has also requested Metwurst and I can't find a recipe for that either..Help with that would be appreciated also...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.backwoodshome.com[/url

Check their books section for one on sausage...I think it's the same one I have. While I've never gotten aound to makin' my own, it does have jerky recipes that I've used.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
 For case cured sausages stable temp and humidity are your friends. Hard sausage must be kept within a certain range while curing. Radioshack has a cheap thermometer/relative humidity combo that works great. A couple of good books are "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas, "Professional Charcuterie" Kinsella and Harvey.  
 If youd like a couple of recipes IM or e-mail me. Please remember i am in no way responsible for use or misuse of curing agents, sanitation,
etc....just a CYA.
later , danny

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
When we are butchering our elk/deer and making sausages/bratwurst, we have an electric skillet out in the garage to test samples before we mix up the whole batch.

I've managed to not make any big mistakes that way.  We fry up a small batch, everybody tastes it, and if it passes the taste test, we make up a large batch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top