Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 1:04:06 PM EDT
I'm noticing lately that acronyms are being used more frequently not only in this discussion group but also in the mass media. I'm no stranger to acronyms, I use them daily in my training as a pilot to remember checklists and such. I used them in my previous career as automobile service consultant but, I was trained that the use of acronyms when talking to a customer (or lay person) was a no-no. Not only was it a no-no it was rude and inconsiderate to the person in which you are talking to. What good is a acronym if the recipient has no idea what your talking about. I notice alot of people use acronyms to "enhance" the perception of intelligence. How do you feel about this?  IYHO APBC and for you AOL'ers don't BLYAO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
How about sheer laziness? IMHO
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]

STFU!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
ACRONYM     - Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
wtf?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO & FWIW most people are lazy.

Most of the time if you put an Acronym into a conversation the Numb Nuts will not know WTH it stands for!

JM $.02 Worth.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
IBTL
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
AWOB !!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Please use the acronym's!! nobody here can spell, so please stop trying.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO, it's my SWAG that it saves typing.  It's not laziness, it's expediting a thought.  

IBTL!!

However, I think that using 'ur' for your and other letters for words that are NOT acronyms is stupid.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL, isn't acronym usage what keeps this discussion group "G" rated?....
--RR (RoadRunner)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top