Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/16/2003 9:21:09 AM EDT
My wife and I are happy with the size of our family and I have been contemplating getting a vasectomy. I have, however, read/heard that there are some problems that one can experience over time after they get it done like constant, epididymitis-like pain, recurring infections and sometimes internal ruptures. I thought I'd solicit you guys that had it done and see what you have to report.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:23:07 AM EDT
no problems at all. been 8 years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:35:18 AM EDT
No problems here after 7 years. I was one of the 2% that get infections afterwards; every time I sneezed, coughed or jarred the boys (like going up or down steps) I felt a dull ache. A little zythromycin cleared it up, haven't had any problems since. The key is to do [b][u]EXACTLY[/b][/u] as the doctor tells you for post-op recovery. If he says lay down for three days, DO IT! The only folks I know who had real complications failed to follow those instructions, like deciding to mow the yard the next day, or something else equally stupid. You won't regret it; having it done made our lives easier and more fun if you know what I mean (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), since we didn't have to mess with contraceptives anymore. And, taking my wife off the pill made MY life easier because she was an emotional hand grenade with a sneeze-operated trigger while she was on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:41:35 AM EDT
Just make sure you use a urologist instead of the other options. This is their area and they are also the most knowledgable on the subject. If it makes you feel any better, my dad is a doc. and him and another doc. did vasectomies on each other on our kitchen table. They also applied some anesthetic of the Budweiser variety before embarking on the procedure. If they can do it under those conditions I think you got nothing to worry about. Its just a snip and a tie.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:50:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:57:50 AM EDT
apples!!! ouch. so what is the deal exactly. do you still ejaculate just without sperm or is there no liquid at all?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:01:27 AM EDT
Haven't had one yet. ---------------------------------------- Which will it be, Webster's or Oxford?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:03:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Paul: I had a guy working for me in the Navy that had the first operation fail - live sperm in the test so he went in for another snip-snip. He was one of those luck 2% who get infected and he swelled up to the size of a pair of apples. [shock] He was off work for nearly a month as the infection failed to respond to any of the normal treatments.
View Quote
So if you are an enlisted in the Navy and get a vasectomy how does that affect your status as a semen...(seamen)? Hmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:05:26 AM EDT
What concerns me is a theory I read about the antibodies that develop in response to the excess amount of sperm that builds up. After a vasectomy, the sperm count in the body reaches very high levels. The body notices these high levels, does not recognize the cells since they only have half a chromosome and begin attacking them. Some believe that it is a precursor to cancers like lymphoma. That scares me a little.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:07:37 AM EDT
... Nothing other really than the 9" scar
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:13:48 AM EDT
Your member will wither and eventually drop off your body. Honest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:20:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 308wood: apples!!! ouch. so what is the deal exactly. do you still ejaculate just without sperm or is there no liquid at all?
View Quote
All juice, no seed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:22:48 AM EDT
[url]http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=163564&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:27:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By illigb:
Originally Posted By 308wood: apples!!! ouch. so what is the deal exactly. do you still ejaculate just without sperm or is there no liquid at all?
View Quote
All juice, no seed.
View Quote
i thought one of the big selling points was it makes sex less "messy". i.e. no cleanup.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:29:39 AM EDT
I do not regret my vasectomy at all. LISTEN to the doctor's orders. Three days off of your feet with the wife pampering you. Have it done on a Thursday and watch golf all weekend while enjoying the pain medications. By Monday, you will be a little sore, but ready to go back to work. The worst part of the procedure was shaving the boys and then having the itching of the hair growing back. Did anyone else have the intraveinous Valum? Damn, that stuff was good!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:32:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:34:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By der_Buschmeistermann: What concerns me is a theory I read about the antibodies that develop in response to the excess amount of sperm that builds up. After a vasectomy, the sperm count in the body reaches very high levels. The body notices these high levels, does not recognize the cells since they only have half a chromosome and begin attacking them. Some believe that it is a precursor to cancers like lymphoma. That scares me a little.
View Quote
I was presented with this info prior to my vasectomy about six years ago. I decided to go ahead and get snipped anyway. Although I hated the idea, I hated even worse the idea of my wife having to take pills that messed with her body. I still hate the idea, but don't know of any better method of contraception. Sorry, Kevin
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:37:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:10:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spudgunner:
Originally Posted By der_Buschmeistermann: What concerns me is a theory I read about the antibodies that develop in response to the excess amount of sperm that builds up. After a vasectomy, the sperm count in the body reaches very high levels. The body notices these high levels, does not recognize the cells since they only have half a chromosome and begin attacking them. Some believe that it is a precursor to cancers like lymphoma. That scares me a little.
View Quote
I was presented with this info prior to my vasectomy about six years ago. I decided to go ahead and get snipped anyway. Although I hated the idea, I hated even worse the idea of my wife having to take pills that messed with her body. I still hate the idea, but don't know of any better method of contraception. Sorry, Kevin
View Quote
More recent studies have shown NO association of vasectomy with increased cancers of any sort. It is a very low risk procedure. I had mine done a bit more than a year ago. No real problems. Just listen to the doctor.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:16:37 PM EDT
I had my operation performed over 15 years ago and never had any problems. BUT..... At the time my wife (now my ex-wife) and I were "happily" married...or so I thought. Now that I have remarried (4 years ago) my new bride would love to have children with me. Unfortunately, that is not a very real possibility at this point. Think it through VERY carefully. If I could turn the clock back and not have the operation, I would not have it. [b]Consider it an irreversible procedure.[/b] At the very least, consider storing some of that "valuable seed" in a cryogenic storage facility....just in case. You never know what the future may hold for you. Also, a friend attempted to have his reversed and after two tries, it never took. You don't even want to know what kind of swelling is involved in a reversal procedure!!! [shock]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:37:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2003 12:40:14 PM EDT by Green_Canoe]
I'm going to second Iceman's more recent studies have shown no increased risk. The more recent reason for people w/ vasectomies having a higher rate of prostate cancer is they are a type more likely to see a doc when they have something wrong as opposed to being embarassed and ignoring what their body is saying. I had mine done about 3 months ago. I had an infection at the incision that increased my recovery time. But now that I'm 100%, I love it. I think "the boys" are a little more sensitive to sharp blows now. Other guys I've talked to say that eventually goes away. Things to look for: NSV "No Scalpel Vasectomy" They still poke a hole or two but the rate of infection is 1/2 of the conventional incision vasectomy. (I had conventional and wished I had the NSV after the infection.) Talk to your doc about open ended vasectomies to reduce "back pressure". I over did it a little the next day because I felt so good and then wished the day after that I hadn't. I used frozen peas (not so cold as to burn my skin) and ibuprofin(anti-inflamitory) @600mg/dose to avoid swelling. Worst it felt like was a hard pinch. Kent
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:41:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:44:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By meltdown: is the procedure usually covered by insurance ?
View Quote
Yep! In my case, it cost me $10 for my office visit co-pay.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:10:26 PM EDT
F' that, even at my age I'm never going to surrender control of my reproductive rights, just like those Femnazis[BD][whacko]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:13:50 PM EDT
The most usual complication I've seen is divorce. Every single guy I know that's had a wife talk them into the procedure has had them leave within a year. I guess it's a funny/cruel last joke for them before walking.z
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:34:35 PM EDT
observations: I had mine done by the leading guy in the field, the guy had wrote the book on the procedure, he came down, and did the procedure on me to instruct my MD on the technique. not that much pain. one tiny incision. once lab results reflect Ø 'swimmers', (and this is the biggie)- [b]NO WORRIES!!!!!!!!!!!![/b] [:D] I worried so much after my 1st was born.. what a relief to not have to take precautions. It is reversible, there are plenty of refrences to check on the web. no need for 'protection'* [;)] *assuming it was safe, as in no STD's I'm at the age now, where I consider it 'too late' for more kids. oh, and all thats missing is the sperm, it can still be as clean or as messy as you want it to be [;)] The ex took it personal, as though I didn't want any more from her (but as it turns out, thats the way she is about everything).[rolleyes] I just didn't want any more.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:38:34 PM EDT
ICE!! it will be your best friend.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:55:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chainshaw:
View Quote
...other stuff snipped [;d]
The worst part of the procedure was shaving the boys and then having the itching of the hair growing back. Did anyone else have the intraveinous Valum? Damn, that stuff was good!
View Quote
That itching was the worst! I had an intravenous Valium/Demerol mix; highly recommended--I thought it was better than beer & a Percocet! My favorite part was the post-op stuff--the doctor told Mrs Limaxray, "No sex for ten days, then he needs to get his ticket punched 15 times in the next month to clean out the plumbing." Of course, every time the wife asked how many times were left, the answer was always "I've lost count...." [BD]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:07:18 PM EDT
View Quote
You still ejaculate, just no sperm. I've been told, it changes the flavor. I've been told by 2 different women, mine is the best tasting..[:D] Lucky Me!!!![snoopy]!!!!..[:D]..[:D]..[:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:06:15 PM EDT
Had mine done 15 years ago and would do it again. Same basic experiences as above. No way I would have ever thought and ice pack on my nads would have felt so good. I did wish later that I'd saved a little of the ole sperm though. The wife and I divorced a couple of years later and I lost a great woman because she wanted a kid and I didn't have the money to have it reversed. Something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:10:45 PM EDT
The worst complication I ever saw involved a guy I knew in the Army. His wife ragged on him for a year to get a vasectomy and he finally gave in and got one. There was no counseling by the by the Army doctor other than asking both of them if they agreed to the procedure. After the guy had it done his wife refused to have any more sex because she said "There wasn't any point to it anymore."
Top Top