Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2003 9:36:24 AM EDT
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=739&iGalleryUnq=711&iImageUnq=13792[/img]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#1]
This is what happens when the Liberal's & Democrats fight the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" program to teach kids about firearms.

And the fucking parents need their asses kicked as well for being so stupid !

Darwin was right. These too shall be eliminated from the gene pool.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
That sounds about right.

Actually, my dad kept his gun in the closet on the (enclosed) front porch. A Remington 870 Wingmaster, bought in 1960, in a case. That's also where he kept the ammo for it. I don't remember him ever telling me to leave it alone but I KNEW better than to touch it at any time. Hell, I was always getting a whoopin' for lesser things. I guess I knew if the gun didn't kill me he would. [BD]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
People should take that to heart.  I found and handled my dads guns even though the penalty for looking/finding was severe.  I pretty much knew what I was doing, but still should not have done it in the context it was done.

Young kids are not responsible, and often live in a play world.  Extra precautions should be taken when they are this age.

Unfortunately, this cartoon is likely implying the need for regulation, which is uncalled for...  Strange how liberals, whose greatest fear are laws that intrude "into the bedroom", would be the first to write this one!

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That sounds about right.

Actually, my dad kept his gun in the closet on the (enclosed) front porch. A Remington 870 Wingmaster, bought in 1960, in a case. That's also where he kept the ammo for it. I don't remember him ever telling me to leave it alone but I KNEW better than to touch it at any time. Hell, I was always getting a whoopin' for lesser things. I guess I knew if the gun didn't kill me he would. [BD]
View Quote

My father was exactly the same way! If we did happen to "just lookin' at it dad", he would know. Even if we didn't touch 'em.
AB
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
exactly, if kids would be taught about guns and introduced to them, they wouldnt be so damned "neat" to screw with.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I was exactly the kid in the comic.  My mom never wanted me to have anything to do with guns at all, and my dad had little more to offer than 'listen to your mother'.  I first found one of dad's guns when I was about 5, and pretty much knew where they were ever since.  My first trip to the range with him was when I was 19.

Now, my guns live in the safe, except for the one in the nightstand... and that's only because I don't have kids.  I'll probably start keeping the nightstand gun in a gunvault before long, and *definitely* before there's a kid in the house.  Kids are curious creatures, and I'd be happy to satisfy their curiosity in a controlled environment where I can supervise.  Aside from that, they're under lock and key.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My son was properly educated on firearms at the age of 5.

After the mystery was taken away they became nothing more to him than a tennis racket or a baseball glove.
View Quote

Exactly!!!!
That is my viewpoint with my 7 yr old also.After the mysterious allure is taken away it's just another tool---no excitement of the forbidden!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My son was properly educated on firearms at the age of 5.

After the mystery was taken away they became nothing more to him than a tennis racket or a baseball glove.
View Quote

Exactly.

I can't see the pic in the first post for some reason, but I got the gist of it by reading the replies.

I live off-campus at Miami University.  It's a pretty safe neighborhood, but my brother's car was broken into somewhat recently - the window was broken and a $200 CD player/radio was stolen), and someone else "broke" into mine (it was at the time unusable due to damage and was unlocked).  Nothing was stolen except for easily replaceable car papers, but my door was left open.  My apartment is rather easy to break into, so I keep my AR-15, SAR-1, .308 bolt-action and 12-gauge shotgun at my parent's house a half an hour away.  I have three younger sisters, 9, one 11, and one 13.  I also have a 15-year-old brother (who is coming with me to Bulletfest, and he's not really one of the "little kids" anymore).  My guns are next to the ammunition, and the cases that hold them are out in plain view, in a room in the basement.  I can trust my siblings because I have explained to them how the guns work, how to use them safetly, and I have let them use my training by letting them shoot when they want to.  There is no mystery about guns to them, so they have no reason to sneak them and use them.  They understand the power of the guns.  They respect guns, they understand as well as anyone could at their age how they work and how dangerous they are, and I can trust them not to use them without asking me or my dad first.  Because of all this, they do not think of them as toys, and when they use them, I can see clearly that they respect the power of the guns.  My three youngest siblings do not want to shoot my .308 or shotgun because of the recoil.  They are even a bit apprehensive about the SAR-1.  I know with absolute certainty that they would never play with them without asking.

Parents who hide their guns and tell their kids never to touch them and never let them use or see them are doing precicely the wrong thing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sounds about right.

View Quote

My father was exactly the same way! If we did happen to "just lookin' at it dad", he would know. Even if we didn't touch 'em.
AB
View Quote
  My father was the same way. I just wander at what time in manhood I will get this super power, ESP or what ever it is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
well, you only need to look into history, when a child was taught to use a gun as soon as they were physically able to, to see the difference between then and now and the results of that difference
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top