Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2003 6:49:31 AM EDT
The Ferrari 550 Maranello entered by the UK Prodrive team (who normally build and run the Subaru WRX STi's in the World Ralley Championship) beat the two Pratt & Miller built Corvette C-5R 50th Anniversery cars. The winning margin for the Ferrari was 10 laps-that is 84 miles. With 15 minutes to go the Ferrari was 16 laps ahead-they pulled in to give the car a WASH for the finish line photo op and gave the Corvettes 6 laps back! The Vette team was not pleased with that. A 1999 Dodge Viper, a one-time works car now entered by a French privateteer finished 4th behind the two Vettes.

The Bentley Speed 8 GTP's finished 1st and 2nd ahead of two private 2002 Audi R8R's. A [i]1997[/i] Panoz came in 5th. This is Bentley's first win overall at LeMans since 1930, their 5th overall victory in the history of the race. A sea of people dressed in British Racing Green and carrying green Bentley flags swarmed all over the pit strait. The #7 Bentley finished ahead of its #8 sister car by 2 laps, after the #8 had to change out broken batteries twice. One Bentley or the other lead almost the whole race, they were never headed after sundown Saturday, and the #7 never relinquished the lead after midnight. Its victory was more dominant than any of the Audi victories the last 3 years. The 3rd and 4th place Audi R8Rs, the 1st and 2nd place cars from last year, were 4 and 7 laps respectively behind the leader. The US Champion Motorsports team finishing ahead of the Team GO Audi of Japan entry.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to post about the race, too. Congratulations to Tom Kristensen, who now has a second-place-record-tying 5 LeMans victories, and a record-setting 4 consecutive outright victories. Catching and exceeding Jacky Ickx's 6 victories is well within grasp. Incidentally, Ickx's daughter, Vanina, co-drove the #84 T2M Motorsport Porsche GT3-RS with Frenchmen Patrick Bourdais and ROland Berville. The car apparently was retired at about the 16th hour.

Gunnar Jeannette in the Panoz LMP-01 Evo and Jean-Christophe Boullion in the Courage-Peugeot C60 has a great battle for 5th position in the final laps. Jeannette got around the Courage with about 23 minutes left, but Boullion kept the pressure on, and clearly demonstrated that the Peugeot was superior in the tighter sections. Jeannette held off the challenger, though, bringing Panoz a good result on what will likely be the last appearance of the LMP. Panoz will focus on the GT category.

Good race. The Bentley was circulating less than 3 seconds off of its best lap time in the middle of the night. Kristensen is a machine.

I was disappointed to see the Veloqx Prodrive Ferrari take a breather near the end for a carwash. I've never been a fan of that type of tactic. I think it's gratuitous and ill-advised. If you've got a comfortable margin, there's nothing wrong with taking it easy and coming in for a long pit stop, but to disassemble the car and clean it in the garage is a bit silly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah, but it's not NASCAR, so it's not 'real' racing...just a bunch of sissy europeans.[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
yeah, but it's not NASCAR, so it's not 'real' racing...just a bunch of sissy europeans.[rolleyes]

View Quote

[ROFL]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Furthermore, there were no big multi-car pile-ups, fires, fights or rain delays. And they dare to call it motorsport. I mean, how in the world can you go 24 hours in a row without having the whole field form up behind the pace car every 30 minutes? And some of the cars even had doors!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of them were making left and right hand turns.  I got confused and had to turn the channel.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Goober racing? Oh sorry ,I mean NASCAR is such a booring thing to watch. Formula dinosaur sedan run by a bunch of rich hillbillies who have duped toothless fools out of their small incomes.

Hell no wonder Bill Clinton was POTUS for 8 miserable years.

Hell, there are only a handfull of drivers in NASCAR who are talented enough to run a 24 hour race like this one!!!

NASCAR, go join Jimmy Carter & drink some of his brother's swill & eat peanuts!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, because its not WWF/NASCAR, it is "real" racing. If it were WWF/NASCAR it would be "real" derby.[BD]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok Im bored this moring, watching the preshow for Nascar, they are talking about F1, even they agree that the Nascar drivers dont have the, how did they put it, intelligence and skills to race F1, that only J Gordon comes close.

sad, just sad...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Meanwhile, Michael and Ralf are tearing up the Isle de Notre Dame, after JV DNFs yet another home race. Methinks the Michelin 2-stint front tire strategy will backfire at the end of the second stint. Stand by...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#10]
No front tire changes for Ralf! Michelin will pay. There's no way there will be "four clear grooves" when the cars make it to Parc Ferme. Nice finish for Clothead, though. WTF?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I love Ferrari!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#12]
How in the hell can you break two batteries in a Bentley?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.. even they agree that the Nascar drivers dont have the, how did they put it, intelligence and skills to race F1,

[i]that only J Gordon comes close.[/i]
View Quote

Isn't Jeff Gordon gay?

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

They were saying that it was a battery problem and I'm thinking it's an alternator problem.  It seems that while the car is running, the alternator charges the battery, but if the alternator goes bad, the battery will run out of charge, thus necessitating a battery change.  I don't see why they didn't change the alternator, as I don't see 2 successive batteries failing.  The battery appeared to be an Optima and I use those in my RX7 and have used them in other cars and they are great batteries.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, tell that to the AMERICAN Panoz team, the 'Vette team, and the numerous AMERICAN teams running in GTS, GT, and LMP, though not with American cars, except Panoz, Viper, and 'Vette.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Vibration caused the plates to break. Though why it only happend on the 8 car and not also on the 7 is something of a mystery. They must of had massively different shock settings. Or the drivers in the 8 wouldn't stay off of the curbs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would suspect that the #8 Bentley, driven by an all-British crew, was set up much stiffer than the #7 car, which was set up to suit Kristensen. probably what broke was the battery hold-down, then the battery connections came loose when the battery itself was rattling around. It is odd to have the same failure twice on the same car, though. I don't recall the Audi ever having this problem. Will find out in next week's Autosport, no doubt.

Quoted:
I love Ferrari!
View Quote
Great victory for Michael and Ferrari today. Gives him the lead in the Driver's Championship, and Ferrari the lead in the Constructor's, despite another lackluster performance from Rubens and a solid battle all day from Williams. Fernando Alonso, once again, was in a great position to be the spoiler. Did you notice what JPM said in the press conference about Alonso? He said that the Renault had to much downforce to pass the Williams on the straight. However, what that demonstrates is that the Renault has [i]more[/i] power than the BMW if it's able to keep up on the straight. I'm not so sure Renault is doing the right thing by abandoning the 110° engine. I think it may be the most powerful engine in F1 right now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey LarryG, are you working the Atlanta Grand Prix this year? I'm coming out to GA that weekend. I'll get in Saturday but I was thinking of heading out to Road Atlanta on Sunday, June 29th. I'm coming out to Newnan. Where is Road Atlanta, exactly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I hate Shoemaker!

Jeff Gordon kicked butt in Montoya's BMW.  He should dump Nastycar and step up to CART or F1.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I hate Shoemaker!

Jeff Gordon kicked butt in Montoya's BMW.  He should dump Nastycar and step up to CART or F1.
View Quote
Oh, God, please no. This buffoon has repeatedly demonstrated a severe lack of maturity throughout his career, and would be a bigger disaster in F1 than Michael Andretti ever was. He may have a shot in another spec-racer series like IRL, but would be completely lost in a ChampCar or F1 car in the heat of battle. Publicity stunt staged for American TV audience does not equate to an actual F1 test.

Mark Martin and Bill Elliott are both outstanding road racers, and have demonstrated the ability to be fast and smooth in anything they drive.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I hate Shoemaker!

View Quote

OK, I respect your point of view... but you can't deny the fact that the man CAN drive a F1... and that he's pretty good at race tactics too...
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#22]
No, CART is the spec car series-they all have the same engine and the same tires, are not allowed to change the body work for weeks at a time, and are even told when to make their pit stops so no one has to worry about getting good fuel mileage.

IRL has multiple engine builders, multiple chassies builders, and more American drivers than CART.

And Gordon did very well at Indy in Montoyas year old car, the FW24D. After just ten laps in it he turned a lap that would of qualified him for last years US Grand Prix.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, CART is the spec car series-they all have the same engine and the same tires, are not allowed to change the body work for weeks at a time, and are even told when to make their pit stops so no one has to worry about getting good fuel mileage.

IRL has multiple engine builders, multiple chassies builders, and more American drivers than CART.

And Gordon did very well at Indy in Montoyas year old car, the FW24D. After just ten laps in it he turned a lap that would of qualified him for last years US Grand Prix.
View Quote
I stand corrected on the IRL/CART distinction. Shows how much I've come to care about American open-wheel racing. CART used to be a great stepping stone to F1, but now it's more of a final destination for Brazilian F3000 guys that don't get European F3000 or F1 test rides.

On the Gordon issue: If he were good enough to be in F1, he's be there already. He's got the money; he could buy a ride. The fact is, it's not the kind of racing he's good at and the discussion will never be anything more than acedemic, anyway. Schumacher scored a goal in a pro/celebrity soccer match a couple of weeks ago, but don't look for him to be playing in the World Cup. Ever.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually, I would really be interested in seeing Marcus Grunholm and Michael Schumacher either swap rides or share a Le Mans ride or something. Something where we could compare the two. Both virtually destroyed their respective championships last year. Both have had some car problems this year but are still 2nd in their respective championships.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Actually, I would really be interested in seeing Marcus Grunholm and Michael Schumacher either swap rides or share a Le Mans ride or something. Something where we could compare the two. Both virtually destroyed their respective championships last year. Both have had some car problems this year but are still 2nd in their respective championships.
View Quote
Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Schumacher fan, and have been since he was on the Sauber "Junior Team" with Karl Wendlinger, and is probably as fit as anyone in F1, but I don't think he could take the punishment that Grunholm and his mate regularly endure. Those guys are some kind of tough motherfuckers. Bob Wolleck was the last road racer I can think of that I thought was tough enough to take on a WRC car.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Schumacher fan, and have been since he was on the Sauber "Junior Team" with Karl Wendlinger, and is probably as fit as anyone in F1, but I don't think he could take the punishment that Grunholm and his mate regularly endure. Those guys are some kind of tough motherfuckers. Bob Wolleck was the last road racer I can think of that I thought was tough enough to take on a WRC car.
View Quote

Then have them share a 550 Maranello at Le Mans. It would have some features that would be common to both and some that would be different for both.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On the Gordon issue: If he were good enough to be in F1, he's be there already. He's got the money; he could buy a ride. The fact is, it's not the kind of racing he's good at and the discussion will never be anything more than acedemic, anyway. Schumacher scored a goal in a pro/celebrity soccer match a couple of weeks ago, but don't look for him to be playing in the World Cup. Ever.
View Quote

Watch the Tradin' Paint on Speed, and you may rethink Gordon.  I mainly like him because Nastycar fans hate him.  Anyways, I think he would have a better chance of winning an F1 race than Jenson Button or Olivier Panis.

Oh Yeah.  Death to the IRL!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Then have them share a 550 Maranello at Le Mans. It would have some features that would be common to both and some that would be different for both.
View Quote
That wouldn't work. Gronholm wouldn't turn at the two chicanes on the Mulsanne! He'd just jump the things. To round out the squad, put John Force on the team. Of course, every 1/4 mile, the team would have to be on the radio, "No, John. Keep going."
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#29]
You know jumping series used to be a COMMON thing as recently as 30 years ago.

Jim Clark drove F1 and F2 for Lotus, and drove at Indy AND the World Ralley Championship for Ford from 1965 till his death.

And found time to take in the Times Grand Prix Can-Am race at Riverside every February

He also had two Grand National (Winston Cup) starts in 1966 at Darlington and Rockingham.

Exactly 30 years ago, Mark Donahue raced in that one year in competition the Porsche 911 (Daytona, Sebring, and in the first IROC series), the Porsche 917/30 Turbo (Can-Am), AMC Matador(Winston Cup), AMC Javelin(Trans Am), Gurney Eagle-AMC (F5000), Eagle/Offy turbo(USAC).

Its kind of sad that drivers can do this anymore.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I missed qualifying, how did Webber do?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You know jumping series used to be a COMMON thing as recently as 30 years ago.

Jim Clark drove F1 and F2 for Lotus, and drove at Indy AND the World Ralley Championship for Ford from 1965 till his death.

And found time to take in the Times Grand Prix Can-Am race at Riverside every February

He also had two Grand National (Winston Cup) starts in 1966 at Darlington and Rockingham.

Exactly 30 years ago, Mark Donahue raced in that one year in competition the Porsche 911 (Daytona, Sebring, and in the first IROC series), the Porsche 917/30 Turbo (Can-Am), AMC Matador(Winston Cup), AMC Javelin(Trans Am), Gurney Eagle-AMC (F5000), Eagle/Offy turbo(USAC).

Its kind of sad that drivers can do this anymore.
View Quote
True enough. Jimmy Clark and Mark Donohue. There were a couple of drivers. Fast in anything they ever drove. It's still a shame Mario never got a win at LeMans.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I missed qualifying, how did Webber do?
View Quote
Webber qualified an impressive 6th, and finished 7th for 2 points. The "Exercise in Futility" award for today goes to Jos Verstappen for finishing the race in 9th - the last man running, but one place out of the points. Actually, surprisingly good performances today from the "Bernardi" team, as Townsend Bell called the team now that Ecclestone has bought an interest in Minardi.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
yeah, but it's not NASCAR, so it's not 'real' racing...just a bunch of sissy europeans.
View Quote

Oh I see....if the same sissy You-Row-Pee-In's were illiterate, former bootleggers who chug-a-lugged cheap beer, spit tobacco juice everywhere and only turned left....then they would be NASCAR approved?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Man, some of you guys are dense. Maybe I should have enclosed my original post in [sarcastic] tags.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#36]
For some reason I was under the impression that Gordon won almost all the road course NASCAR events?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For some reason I was under the impression that Gordon won almost all the road course NASCAR events?
View Quote

IIRCC, he's won 5 of the last 9 road courses. Also, while the F1 swap with JPM was Gordon's first for an F1, he had driven a CART car a few years back. After Gordon won his third championship, he went on the Letterman Show. Letterman started in on Gordon about how boring it must be to keep driving "those taxi's" and he should move on to something more challenging. Gordon replied " coming from a car owner, that's a pretty tempting offer". Anyways, a test was set-up and Gordon did around 25 laps in a Bobby Rahal car.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Have you seen the new driver for Prodrive?  She is supposed to be pretty fast.

http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/220/

Her first race with them will be at the Atlanta Grand Prix.  I can't make that race, but I'll see her at Road America and PLM.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top