Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2003 6:17:31 PM EDT
i suspect my landlord has been entering my aparment without telling me

i want to get video footage

(Lord i hate being a renter)

any ideas?

i've seen all those popup ads for x10 stuff. do their cameras work well?

what would be ideal is some cameras  i could hide inside the place that would start recording when they detect motion, and record right into a file on my PC

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No worries, its perfectly normal for a landlord to invade your privacy and enter your apartment unanounced.  Mine does it all the time [:(]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
They work. Video quality isn't the greatest, but it should do for what you want.

Be aware that the wireless cameras operate in the same freq range as the newer gigahertz phones, so if someone is operating a phone in the building, it may screw up your signal.

Also, they plug into an outlet, so unless you can hide it well, it could give away the camera. You can buy battery packs, but they don't last that long.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Check around locally, that type of surveillance equiptment can be rented for  temporary use.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No worries, its perfectly normal for a landlord to invade your privacy and enter your apartment unanounced.  Mine does it all the time [:(]
View Quote

So does mine.  I know for a fact he's been in here at times when I haven't been home.  The fucker actually even came in one time when I was sleeping.  I heard him mucking around out in the kitchen and I jumped up out of bed.  Could have been a burglar for all I knew.  He's lucky to still be alive right now ... but God help him if he ever pulls that shit when I'm in here with my girlfriend [:(!]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
i make good use of these on my door while i'm home

[img]http://www.fireworksguys.com/images/string.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm certainly not taking his side or anything, but what are you gonna do if you catch him on camera? confront him with it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
depends on what he's doing

i've asked him to let me know if he plans on coming into the place
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Change the locks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont get it.

I was under the impression they can not enter with out permision .. < i.e.  even fireinspection type stuff.. even this requires advance notice.. >

Hell Ive had cable installers not do thier job cause I forgot to leave a "permision to enter letter" at the office...

If it turns out that they have no right to enter ..

1. get the camera
2. dim the lights just enogh to see  him .. but clainm it was dark and your were in fear for your life..
3. commence to beat the living shit of him after asking him to identify himself loudly < be sure the audio makes it to the mic> hopefully he will be stunned that you are there and he is busted that he will take  a sec too long to answer and your covered on video as asking who it was and after no answer from the "intruder" you were protecting your home...

even if its a house your renting they still need to inform you in advance they are coming in.. you might not have a choice in the matter but I believe < at least on the last house I rented> they NEED to inform you three days in advance..

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
What about those cameras they use to photograph wildlife? They're motion activated, date/time too, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Read a copy of your lease.  There is probably a section in there detailing when and under what circumstances the land lord is allowed to go into your apartment.

Usually, they have to let you know ahead of time unless there's a maintenance emergency, or some such.  Check the lease.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i make good use of these on my door while i'm home

[url]http://www.fireworksguys.com/images/string.jpg[/url]

View Quote

I remember those from when I was little! Where did you get them?
View Quote

bought a crapload of them at the fireworks stand a couple years ago

you should be able to get some in a few weeks with the 4th coming up

(they haven't banned fireworks out there have they?)
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]
You can buy a motion sensor that would activate when the door opens. You can purchase very inexpensively as a stand alone unit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Does this happen with any regularity?  If so, take a day off work, park your car down the street, and discuss this matter with him in person... with a copy of your lease in hand.

If not, then supercircuits is the better route.  Please don't encourage those X10 spammers by giving them money on purpose.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
it could get ugly fast, if it was me, i would move, better than him making up some bullshit claim and evicting you
on the entering part, i'm not sure about that, my family owns several properties, and if tenants miss 2 consecutive rent payments, we remove all their exterior doors and start the eviction process[:O]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The x10's are low quality. Check out marshal electronics.com, some real cool cams.
AB
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Read a copy of your lease.  There is probably a section in there detailing when and under what circumstances the land lord is allowed to go into your apartment.

Usually, they have to let you know ahead of time unless there's a maintenance emergency, or some such.  Check the lease.

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

From the original description, it doesn't sound like the landlord has any emergency or anything, I think the landlord is just being noisy. I would do is set some type of trip, like a small piece of paper in the door to see if someone has gained entry into to your apartment, you know a la the movie the Sting with robert Redford? Like a p

I help my wife maintain her family's apartment, we don't go into someone's place unless we tell them before hand for non-emergency things.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have a look at [url]www.supercircuits.com[/url]. They're where I get all my best stuff [:)]
View Quote

I use their stuff too....I have the wireless 2.4gHz exit sign and smoke detectors installed at a fellow's business, they work great.  The best part was, I installed the smokes right under his employees' noses and no one suspected a thing.  He hung the exit sign himself while muttering something about OSHA and no one was the wiser.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Good advice on checking your lease.  I think the leases here in Texas state that if the landlord, or representative of the owning company, enters your residence, they MUST leave WRITTEN notice of when they were there, how long they were there, and what they were doing.  

I lived with a friend once, and the maintenance guy entered a couple times during the day, once when my roomie was laying on the couch, and once when she was in the shower.  Pissed me off.  She started locking the keyless deadbolt during the day.

DEFINITELY LOCK YOUR KEYLESS DEADBOLT AT NIGHT.  That means even with a key, landlord cannot get in.  If he DOES manage to get in, SHOOT his ass.  Especially at night.  Tell the coppers that you locked your keyless, but someone got in, and you feared for your life.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#26]
i'm going to try the powder on a mirror on the coffe table

ha ha ha

i'll leave a .45 out too (empty)

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i'm going to try the powder on a mirror on the coffe table

ha ha ha

i'll leave a .45 out too (empty)

View Quote

Buy one of those cheap lookalike airsoft guns or one of the blank pistols that Sportsman's Guide has.  You've already established that you can't trust the guy... why leave a gun for him?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

It isn't so much the lease as it is the state laws.  Nothing in a lease can invalidate a state law.  Here in NH under Title LV, Chapter 540-A, section 540-A:3 paragraph IV [red]No landlord shall willfully enter into the premises of the tenant without prior consent, other than to make [b]emergency repairs[/b].[/red]  Also, said landlord can only legally enter under other circumstances at a reasonable time after notice which is adequate under the circumstances has been given.

Check your state laws to see what applies there.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Change the locks.
View Quote

YES, CHANGE THE LOCKS!!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change the locks.
View Quote

YES, CHANGE THE LOCKS!!!!
View Quote

Actually, even if you change the locks, you have to give him a key.  If not, that can be enough for eviction if he were to find out.  Check your lease, most allow for routine inspections.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#32]
As having being a maintenance man for a small apt complex(82 units) It is indeed written in any good lease that continence can enter anytime that an occurrence such as drainage back up ,electrical shortage,or any thing that can cause harm to the property involved happens!

We must leave a note explaining such entry(even if it is requested by you-IE work order).

Of course this was a small complex and we knew every bodys sons and daughters,hell when they went on vacation they would leave us a key to their mailbox so we could put tier mail in tier apartment!

Of course this is Oklahoma  so YMMV!

Other than when a prospective buyer is trying to access the value of his purchase, then they will give you a newsletter saying that random apartments will be entered by manager and maintenance for a visual check!

I know this sucks ,but no HELL no the manager has no right to enter your apt!   Period unless you have gotten a five day notice for non payment of rent ,and then it's five more days until a Sheriffs deputy comes and gets the maintenance guy to open the door search for said party,tell them to take what they can carry in their hands and then I change the lock in front of the Deputy!

All proceedings that the manager deems unsalable(she takes) the rest are supposed to be sold (towards going against the unpaid rent)!

Bottom line if anybody is entering your  appt,and you haven't had the o I just gave my key to twenty  other friends,tell the manager to change the locks!

The manager gets a bonus for the amount of apts rented,she will rent to Satan himself!

Bob [:D]

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#33]
a simple trip wire made of sewing thread, taped in a door way would be the ticket. he wouldnt feel it and wouldnt notice it.
you could also get a personal alarm, like a walkman, where you pull the plug and the alarm sounds, rig the plug to a trip wire, and alert the whole complex.
lightly coating the floor with flour or baby/tac powder would leave some good foot prints. of course vaccumming up the white crap daily will be a pain.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Stick a small piece of paper in the door when you leave. If you don't see it fall when you get back, then you know he was there. If you find that he is entering on a regular basis, suprise him one day. If this an apartment building, talk to some of your neighbors, they may have similar problems. Don't set up any booby traps, yet. If he gets caught in one, he'll say he was there to check a leak or something, and then sue you if he gets hurt. Video surveilance is a good idea if you got some money to burn. I'd stay away from the white powder and baggies unless you want to come home from work and have 20 cops in your living room.

Steve.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Take a couple ounces of talc or flour and put it in a baggie. Spread some out on the kitchen counter and uses a straight razor blade to make a few lines out of it. Stand back and watch!
View Quote

I have a cockatiel bird, one of the things he gets for a treat is something called a millet spray, it's just a clump of bird seed that I guess resembles a bud of Mary J to stupid people. Anyway I was living in an apartment at the time and I had just bought some millet & it was in a baggie that I had stashed under my dresser with all the other bird stuff. Came home the next day and went to give the bird some and could not find it anywhere. WTF? Apartment people were there while I was at work, maintenance guy probably, and best I could figure was the scum ass took the "buds". Imagine his surprise when he showed up to a party sporting bird seed, or better yet when he tried to sell it to someone and got his ass beat for trying to rip them off. Man, I hated apartment life. BTW to check to see if someone has been snooping is to take some Scotch tape and make a little wedge out of it, (double it over so no sticky is exposed) and slip it between the top of all your doors or door jambs as you leave. You'll find it on the floor if someone has been inside going thru your stuff. Works on dressers and any other drawers, doors, cabinets etc. Always put it in the same spot in case they detect it that way you'll know if it was moved & reinserted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I am so glad I don't rent anymore.

I only had one bad apartment complex and it was the one in the "ritzy" area.  They didn't like to do the background checks on tenants or employees.  So, one morning my upstairs neighbor was carjacked by one of the employees.  A few months later a tenant who had just moved in decided to shoot at someone visiting his place, come to find out he had an electronic cuff on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top