Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I post a little but read a lot and it doesn't take long to see who the real offenders are. When someone first posts there's a gob of people that'll post the usual "Welcome aboard", "Glad to have ya" replies. This is all well and good but when it's a female about 1/3 of the replies seem to expect her to throw some kitchy kitchy-koos their way in one form or another. When this doesn't happen she better watch out cause she's gonna get some shit the next time she posts. Every forum has it's share of immature shitheads and this one being as big as it is just has a lot more of em.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW, all three of the women that posted on this board have gender specific nick names.

And TitaniumTit woman made sure everyone knew she was a woman just so she would get treated special.

Hannah and MM, however, are at least decent.

STill waiting for my damn pie thou...

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
MM,
It is good to see you around again!
We need more women in the fight to defeat the evil anti-RKBA'ers!

That is where we (Shooting world) as a whole have fallen way short. The anti's have made great strides because of their acceptance and mobilization of women!

It makes no difference to me if you have an "Innie or an Outtie"...
If you fall I will offer a hand up.
If you have your arms full I will open or hold the door for you.
If you are thirsty I will offer you drink.
If you are hungry I will offer you food.
I will do the above for you, whether you have an innie or an outtie!

I have always been taught to treat everyone the same.

I hope to see everyone of you at Gunstock![:D]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Just please take notice that there are maybe twenty or thirty @ssh@les that give anybody grief or start the stalker stuff.  Most of us guys are not that way, like it as little as you do, and are as offended at "all you guys" posts as you are about "all those women" posts.

So keep an eye out for the pot-kettle-black issue, OK?

With as many members as there are here, there will be some immature jerks, some old bitter jerks, and some regular jerks.  There isn't any way I know to change the statistics.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The last thing... and this is the one that pisses me off the most and I know Hannah and myself have battled others on this issue for years on here... is the sexist attitude that is allowed to run rampant on this board.  
View Quote

A wise friend (who was black, BTW) of mine once said the stereotypes aren't "given", they are "earned."  Unfortunately, women have earned themselves certain stereotypes. Many of them rightfully so. Perhaps you don't fit many of them and are upset at being lumped in with the others.
Same goes for men. I am sitting on my couch in my boxers right now typing this on a wireless LAN laptop as I watch ESPN. There you go.
Women are not stereotypically frail creatures whose mascara runs as they cry and walk away, as you suggest. They are a dangerous and misunderstood subspecies, and the ones that I have dealt with (due to my educational/class background) are usually quite smart and cunning. I am even scared of a few of them, and I am a big confident guy with a very accomplished academic record.
The problem that men have is that women's decisionmaking matrix is on a whole different plane than ours. We label you as insane attention whores because your behavior manifests itself in such a manner that a normal, rational man would agree. Add to this the problem that women seem to have in explaining their thoughts in a straightforward manner, and it begins to become obvious why we grumble about you while sitting in ourt boxers on the couch watching ESPN.

Edited to add:

I know a handful of women shooters who can school me at the range. Women who can shoot well are a MAJOR turn on (unless clearly psychotic, in which case any sane man will flee in terror). This is why you get hit on.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...get me my beer, woman.[peep]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I was raised by shooting parents.  We would spend weekends at the range (when not hunting or fishing) and my mother would shoot as well as my father.  This included handgun, rifle and skeet.  They both hunted (My mother actually bagged the biggest deer between the two of them)  It was nothing for her to put a worm on a hook and gut a fish.  She taught me how to field dress and process deer.  My favorite rifle that I ever used is hers (she let me take it when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg and then took it back when I got off active duty [:(] )  When kids at school would make a comment that "your mama wears combat boots" to be insulting, I just laughed and said "yeah, and they work great when she's kicking your fathers ass"  

Having been raised that way, I respect a womans ability with firearms.  As to intelligence, it is an individual thing.  If someone comes across as the stereotypical dumb blonde space cadet, I will think of her as such.  Of the women I have seen on this board, none have fallen into that stereotype.  However, TitaniumT does seem to like to play up being a female.  I do agree that there are certain ass holes on here.  I too am offended by comments they make.  They may eventually grow up and learn to treat ladies with respect.  Personally, I try to treat everyone, regardless of race, religion or sex, with respect until they prove that they deserve none (NC bozo cop, you have proven that you deserve none to me)  So, to all the ladies, I say welcome.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
As unprofound as this may sound...

...men are men. Women are women. They are different from each other and act differently in the presence of each other based on the numbers of their own and the other.

*pant*

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ah, the blessed freedom to be a narcissisist AND a pervert.

cynic
View Quote

You'd never have to leave home!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Posted by me earlier:
I'm far from a woman hater.
I enjoy posts here from men and women.
This is a Gun Board for men and women, even children.
All I'm saying is (and we should'nt) that men in a group (as well as women) when they aren't paying attention to if a lady or child is near say and do things we would not normally do.
But one should not expect total political correctness in this environment. My post was not intended to personally offend. I appollogize if it was taken that way.
I know that many women are good shooters and many men not so good. I would like to see more men, women, and children in the shooting sports, RTKBA, and support of other freedoms we are loosing.
But if ya cant take the heat get out the kitchen.

Reply from Miss Magnum:

Whatcha spending so much time in the kitchen for?? Ya nancy-boy

My reply to you MM
Now ya pissed me off.That was typical of your original post, you seem to be doing the male bashing. Read my post again, no bashing of anyone! Then you personally imply that I may be gay? Boy you just keeep diggin' your hole deeper on your defence of  your original post.
F#$k Off
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
2 pages and no one has asked for pics or posted the I'd hit it Bannanna.

YOU GUYS ARE SLIPPING! MANDATORY PIG RE-TRAINING AT 1800 TO BE FOLLOWED BY TESTOSTERONE INJECTIONs AT 1830!

mike
View Quote

Testosterone injections make your pee pee smaller.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Daddy won a radio

Tuned it to a country show

I was rocking in the cradle to the crying of a steel guitar

View Quote

Those lyrics were just on the radio right now.
I was trying to pay attention to this post, but that darn A Jackson is just too good...

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
MM my friend, I usually ask others here if I can call them my friend(guys). The longivity of presence here as I interpert it is WELCOMED by ALL, I'd ASSUME, but most of us knuckledraggers whom avoid women till our senses (REALBRAIN) notices your "still hanging here status". I'm usually gone on a "feminized"(mostlywomen) board (looked at a few for *issues] because of all the "Hugs"+ feelings. Women are diffrent, SOME MORE THAN OTHERS. You seem "cool",[;)] a*babe Im sure(wrasselingwave] none of us would want to leave here for both your insights and your "one of the few female crew" we'd all be less likely to let the door hit on the arse on the way out.[;)] [:|]FACE it.... look at THE new generations idealologies(sp). I'm glad I'll be dead w/in 40yrs on the long end maybe 25 on the short end.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testosterone injections make your pee pee smaller.
View Quote

For some of us that won't matter [:D]

mike
View Quote

Does that mean you don't use yours??? [:)]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

[i]If the intent of this board is to promote RKBA issues and be a positive example of the gun community as a whole, then what are we doing alienating almost half of the population???[/i]
View Quote

I think one thing to keep in mind is that the Board does a great job of providing information to the AR15 (and extending community) but I think that one should not confuse GD with the rest of the Forum.

GD is a separate area for the members to get together and socialize. It just happens that it tends to be a male-centric social circle, with all the good and bad that it entails.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Last entry on this post..
First and foremost I have not said anything hatefull, read my post. It was quite the opposite. I even appllogized for the posibility of offending anyone.
The woman threw an off hand, personal, below the belt remark to me, and I replied F' Off same as I would to anyone else.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#21]
First I want to say that just because this is the internet, it is still no excuse for being rude and/or disrespectful.  That being said, you are likely to find rude people every where you go.  Don't expect people to be different on this board; it not only open to polite and 'nice' people so there are bound to be a few jerks on here.  If that is what you expect, you are being unrealistic.  It is also unrealistic to think you can change someones attitude.  We can hope, but it is just not going to happen.

I have been on here a while and I have been treated well.  If there has been any stupid remarks, I just ignore them and move on.  They are not worth wasting my time whining about.  Besides, I have heard all of these remarks in dealing with the public and they don't bother me.  I think the way women are treated on this board has a lot to do with how they present themselves.  Unless you are posing a question that makes the fact that you are a female pertinent to the response, then why mention it?  If the posters name makes it obvious that they are female, it does seem like they are asking for special attention.  If the name says, "I am a woman, PAY ATTENTION TO ME" or pictures are posted, that says "Look at me!  I am (hot, desirable, pretty)", you can expect to get negative attention.  If women wish to be treated equal, why do they draw attention to the fact they are not one of the boys?  It shouldn't matter what sex you are.  Unless you have an obviously feminine name, most of the guys assume you are male.  Very few of them take the time to check the user info.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#22]

It seems from all the gun boards on the net. That GlockTalk.com is for women.

All other gunboards have alot boy's.

But this gun thing is what most boys use to get away from women.

So your treading in lower head thinking on most gun boards.  But that's our nature as men or boys.

The new era man is into sex, guns, and rock-n-roll. Ah maybe a video game or two!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:40:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
BTW, all three of the women that posted on this board have gender specific nick names.

And TitaniumTit woman made sure everyone knew she was a woman just so she would get treated special.

Sgtar15
View Quote

Huh?????

I'm a bit confused here.

TitaniumT (not TitaniumTit) isn't a gender specific name nor does it imply a particular gender.

She replied to relay her experiences as a woman. It was only because of her reply that she made it known that she was a woman.

If the topic were different I don't think she would have mentioned her gender but only did so because of [b][u]this[/u][/b] threads topic.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#26]
MM,

Good to see you are still around. I have always noticed the sexist thoughts some have on this board.

A lot of people have hit the purpose of this board on the head, it is a RKBA board. What the men on this board should remember is that we need more women on our side. You know what, for some reason, that I will never be able to explain or understand, women can communicate to each other.

Now I think that women shooters, such has MM, Tat, Hannah and Mona (just the few I know), can reach none shooter females better than we can, there is none of the underlying sexual feelings.

So they start teaching and shooting with friends, and then tell them, hey go to ar15.com to learn more about the black rifle. Imagine what happens when the first topics they see are: my b**tch girlfriend left me, then three pages of disparaging women. Way to recruit people to the cause.

Now we deal with the fact that anti's visit the site and see said post and use it to confirm that gun owners are knuckle dragging Neanderthals. We folks are our own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Huh?????

I'm a bit confused here.

TitaniumT (not TitaniumTit) isn't a gender specific name nor does it imply a particular gender.

She replied to relay her experiences as a woman. It was only because of her reply that she made it known that she was a woman.

If the topic were different I don't think she would have mentioned her gender but only did so because of [b][u]this[/u][/b] threads topic.

View Quote

Originally, TitaniumT was TitaniumTits; caused a lot of controversy when she first started posting.  And this is the first line of her first post [b]"Newbie question: I'm a 5'5" 110# female who is interested in getting started in AR15 shooting." [/b]
View Quote

Seems like a reasonable statement for a newcomer to describe one's physical stature when requesting information regarding  appropriate firearm configuration.

What a catty broad to make an issue of that.

And women wonder why they are so frequently not taken seriously......

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn,

I had this really funny reply all thought up but this has become so stirred up and serious that it won't work.

Oh well, maybe next time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Huh?????

I'm a bit confused here.

View Quote

Originally, TitaniumT was TitaniumTits; caused a lot of controversy when she first started posting.  And this is the first line of her first post [b]"Newbie question: I'm a 5'5" 110# female who is interested in getting started in AR15 shooting." [/b]
View Quote

Apparently some people are incapable of leaving well enough alone. Typical catty female behavior.

As I have said many times, the name was originally chosen with the sole intent of busting my boyfriend's balls as a good girlfriend must do from time to time. He is an avid firearms enthusiast and together we had been reading AR15 for sometime before joining. The day we joined we had been discussing Taurus Titanium handguns and as a joke I came up with the name. I was under the false notion the name could be easily changed as is the case on other discussion boards. That was not possible here despite making several requests to staff. Regardless, the first thread endured and flourished. Many knowledgeable staff, moderators and members shared their knowledge. It became a great "beginner's" thread if anyone bothered to read it. Of course it was laced with comments and remarks from keyboard commandos. After some time my account was locked because others could not control their inappropriate comments. Hanna started a thread while my account was locked for the purpose of attacking me. (No shortage of integrity there.) Eventually senior staff and moderators interceded and unlocked my account and that of another member who supported me. My name was eventually changed.

Admittedly, I laughed at the fools who stated their delicate sensibilities were offended by the name while at the same time used avatars of bouncing mammary glands or posted BOTD pics in the team forum or talked about "hitting it".

That was months and hundreds of posts ago. For some reason, people such as Sgtar15 and Ogre continue to feel a need to reinforce their perception that I am a troll. (This from the woman who starts threads entitled Internet Dating, Why are men such jerks and Am I being used" !) For the first several months I solely posted on ARDiscussion and stayed away from GD because it held no interest for me. I rarely see other women post on the AR board. I don't frequent the handgun board because my boyfriend is a walking, talking handgun encyclopedia. The women's forum is a joke.

I have been approached and IM'd and emailed by many members with a variety of offers to shoot their firearms, meet, etc. I have not solicited offers from anyone and I have not responded to anyone who made an offer. I have made it quite clear I have a long-standing boyfriend. I don't discuss my dating escapades or relationships as other women do on here. I don't hide my gender as though I am embarrassed by being a woman. I am definitively female and proud of who I am.

Women are generally catty bitches. It is impossible for our gender to "stick together". We expect respect but our behavior is not reflective of our expectations as demonstrated by the post by Ogre.

My height and weight were important in determining which AR15 configuration I would eventually buy. To insinuate otherwise is ridiculous and reflective of someone's jealousy. I posted a picture after several requests as countless others have posted pictures of themselves.

The Thread was titled:

[b]AR configuration for petite female?[/b]

[i]Newbie question: I'm a 5'5" 110# female who is interested in getting started in  shooting. I am not interested in bench rest competition. What would be the appropriate configuration for my size? [/i]

TT [:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I am not going to be drawn into an arguement on this board.  TT, if my post offended you, I apologize.  I was not insinuating you were a troll.  Sorry if you took it that way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My girlfriend is a member here(AKA: "Haftaby" in case any of you care to IM her and welcome her to the board) but has 0 posts. She likes to read and wants to post but is a little shy due to some of the remarks made towards other female posters here.
View Quote

I agree with her. I've been a bit reluctant to post myself even though I have RT friends here.

but this is true of any gun related board I have posted on.

Why do I keep such a feminine name?  I've been posting on gun boards for years.  this is how I've come to be known at subguns and the other boards I've posted on.  I made a few friends there, if they come over here. I want them to know who I am.

Usually, if some of the other members are too harsh for me, I just move on.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn, y'all are too serious.  Anyone establishing a reputation on the internet, regardless of the community, that expects it to be free of assholes and other undesirables is waaaayyyyy out of touch with reality.  Granted, I find this place to be cool as can be and very informative if I need information but, as others have stated, if you cannot handle it just remember, you control your exposure to this community.  Just sit back, relax, and take it all in stride, you'll live longer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Welcome Bethsheba,
Glad to have you here.
Just jump right in and post away.
[wave]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted: I am not going to be drawn into an arguement on this board. TT, if my post offended you, I apologize. I was not insinuating you were a troll. Sorry if you took it that way.
View Quote

I received your IM and did not think it warranted a response. You subsequently addressed me on this thread apparently to elicit a response. So here it is:

I am aware of your expressed perception of my original thread as being the reason men don't take women seriously on this board, and your belief I was solely looking for attention,  which is contradictory to your statements on this thread and in your IM to me.  

TT [coffee]

BTW the thread never got me temporarily banned.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#35]
holy cats!
who really cares? I am happy to share the board with whomever shares the hobby of shooting.
gawd, you would think we were working on the Iraqi battle plans or something with all the noise on this.

To the Gals~
welcome and I am glad your here. regardless of your board-name, etc etc...

see you at the range!
Lock and Load!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#36]
As one of the "Why are women evil?" threads, most people didn't take it the wrong way.  I have many girls in my life that are just friends, I also work in an environment that is about 98% female.

I have always been probably to nice to females, because the ones that I have "loved" walked all over me.  The ones that are friends with me, are friends.  

Anyway, my excuse was this being one of my only contacts with males during the week while my friends are out of town, and I needed to vent a little.  Guys vent different than women, we like to be pissed, after we are pissed for a while, were done.  After that thread was done, I was done and over it.

After my thread was done, the why are men jerks thread started and it lasted about 8 pages...

Whats that about?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]
can't we all just get along??

aren't we here to acknowledge our obsession for all things firearms, share bizarre stories, vent about life, and learn a few new tricks??

the discussion topics posted here range from being educational, humorous, political, depressing, biased, bizarre...and that's why i joined the forum...

i take the sexist and derogatory remarks all with a grain of salt...not offended at all really, people can think and say whatever the hell they want...generalizations about women do not upset me - should it??

men and women are probably more alike than different...unfortunately the media - tv, radio, magazines, etc - has created particular societal and cultural roles for men and women that makes for great controversy...people love the drama..me?? i could certainly do without all that shit...

well, i can only speak for myself but i have made it a point to not let outside influences tell me who i'm supposed to be, what job i should have, what i should think, just because i am a woman...i am just Jessica, trying to make the most out of the short life I have here...

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Docjess[bow] nicely put..
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top