Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2003 9:06:04 PM EDT
I had the displeasure of making a delivery in Jacksonville this morning.  As I was departing, the local news radio station gives a late breaking report.  2 Men were shot in a robbery attempt and manage to drive off.  The get to another area and try to wave down some assistance.  Instead of getting any assistance, they get [b]CARJACKED[/b]  WTF!!!  One ends up dying and the other was in critical condition in the hospital as I was making haste to get out of town.  What is our society coming to when this kind of crap happens?  Anyone living in Jville have an update on this, please respond.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Place your bets, place your bets...

This happened in the-

Springfield area- pays 3/2
Westside- pays 3/2
Northside- pays 5/1
Eastside- pays 4/1
Southside- pays 3/1
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I couldn't say.  I was too busy freaking out about what happened to consider where exactly it happened.  Unfortunately I was in the NE corner off 44th and Norwood.  Not a nice area at all.  As soon as I get off the interstate at 5 A.M there are at least half a dozen drig dealers and a boatload of crack ho's standing around trying to wave me down.  Now, I won't deny that we have them here too, but usually they are not out that time of the day.  At least they try to keep it to respectable dealin and ho'in hours around here.  I used to go to a place off hwy 111 near w.12th regularly.  That was a nasty area in my opinion.  Then I see this place and it is just 100 times worse.  I got about 2 hours sleep before the employees showed up and knocked on the door and the first thing he says is that he can't believe I slept there.  The manager at the Wendy's got shot last week.  I just told him I shoot back.  Of course that led to a look of absolute astonishment until I opened the truck door.  [}:D]  I got unloaded in 15 minutes.  The fastest I have been unloaded in a long long long long time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:37:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad i live in Fernandina.My bet is on the Springfield area---the same place where they filmed the documentary "Gorillas In The Mist".
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Glad i live in Fernandina.My bet is on the Springfield area---the same place where they filmed the documentary "Gorillas In The Mist".
View Quote

I guess your neighborhood is where they filmed 'Birth of a Nation'?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait, how can this be that 2 guys got shot in a robbery?  Florida is a right to carry state, so they must have been able to defend themselves, and furthermore criminals in such states are afraid citizens may be armed and don't commit crimes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps there was a misunderstanding.  The 2 men were being robbed, got shot, managed to get to the car and search for help.  While they, the victims, were trying to flag down help, they got carjacked.  

As to the area I was in, I am never scared to go anywhere.  I have everything in my truck that I need, so just park and lock the doors.  If someone comes knocking, and the business at which I parked (always where I am delivering or picking up a load) is not open, I answer with gun in hand.  Had a go round with a cop in IL about that when I pull the curtain to get a flashlight shining in my face and pointed my illumination device (it only illuminates for a fraction of a second, but you can definitely hear and feel it [}:D]) right back at him and told him to get the light out of my face.  (The entire go round ended up taking about an hour after he tried his little you can't have one of those in a commercial vehicle bs)  But, I don't worry.  I will park anywhere without worry because I don't get out and mess with people.  I am very concientious about what happens with my vehicle.  If someone leans against the trailer, I can feel it.  If they grab the hand rails beside the door to climb up, I wake up in an instant.  And I always sleep with my XD in immediate reach.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Hawkeye, I didn't take it that way.  I knew what you meant.  Unfortunately, where many businesses (industrial, which is our primary base) are in areas that go totally to hell when the sun goes down.  I have even spent the night sleeping on Jerome Ave, in the Bronx.  What is hard to believe is that there are many truck stops (actually travel plazas, truckstops don't exist any more.  Thank you Greyhound and winnebago) that are much more dangerous than that.  I constantly hear of a driver getting robbed as he was walking back to his truck from eating or showering or whatever.  In the area that I drive now (roughly 650 mile radius of Nashville with a few little fingers going a bit farther) the worst places are West Memphis and Atlanta.  I once had to stop at the Pilot in Atlanta and couldn't even get backed in to a parking space for all the ho's (we call them lot lizards or sleeper leapers among the more affectionate terms) running up to the truck.  The TA here in Nashville (the one downtown) has a fence all the way around and roving security.  That does no good because the hookers climb the fence and give kickbacks to the bozocops.  In Knoxville, the rates have doubled because the cops (real cops, not rent a cops) are taking kickbacks.  I have even observed it myself.  I was sitting at a TA and the hangout was across the street at an abandoned restaurant.  A cop pulls in, the 3 hookers go climb in his back seat and 5 minutes later hop back into their pickup waiting for the next customer.  This is why I usually try to avoid the truckstops.  I get bothered less sitting parked in a bad neighborhood at a closed business where I will deliver/pickup in the morning than at the truckstop.  Oh yeah, Little Rock, on the east side, just outside the bypass, don't plan on getting any sleep there.  Indianapolis bypass, exit 4, also bad.  I could tell you bad places all day long, but can list the safe/clean places on one hand.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#12]
That's gotta suck, you jack someone, get shot then get jacked yourself.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wait, how can this be that 2 guys got shot in a robbery?  Florida is a right to carry state, so they must have been able to defend themselves, and furthermore criminals in such states are afraid citizens may be armed and don't commit crimes.
View Quote

Florida also has a 10/20/Life law. 10 yrs if you pull a gun, 20 yrs if you shoot someone, and life if you kill someone with a gun.
This takes the fun out of self defense.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Florida also has a 10/20/Life law. 10 yrs if you pull a gun, 20 yrs if you shoot someone, and life if you kill someone with a gun.
This takes the fun out of self defense.
View Quote

10/20/Life [b]DOES NOT[/b] apply to lawful self defense.
It applies to certain [i]C R I M E S[/i] committed with a firearm.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Now [b]that[/b] is funny. Poetic justice is a motherfucker, isn't it?
View Quote

Could be my new sig line.  With your permission, of course, Sir.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#16]
That's totally fubared!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top