Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 7:51:18 PM EDT
hi all,

i was wondering if I should run my brass thought the dishwasher (no soap, just water) before de priming them.  i dont have the cash for a tumbler yet.  would washing them help or hurt

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about washing your brass, but I definitely wouldn't put the spent cases in contact with anything your family is going to eat from. The lead residue from the primer is quite toxic. How about washing the cases in the sink in the garage etc.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
good idea.  just water and let them air dry?

thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I would use a hair dryer to dry them. leaving them out and wet may cause corrosion. You should invest in a tumbler and then you can wash them in your sink and then tumble them to a high luster.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Just spring for a tumbler - it's worth it ...  I tried to be cheap way back when and you'll find that your cases will come out looking quite tarnished.  Like warlord said, don't put anything with lead residue/salts in proximity of anything to be eaten or that you eat from.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Wash that nasty brass.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
OT: On the subject of cleaning spent cases, I would also suggest a tumbler. I would also strongly recommend not to tumble/clean your brass in your house because of potential lead contamination. My buddy USED to tumble his brass in his bedroom, he doesn't anymore because he had his blood tested by a lab tech friend on a bet, and the surprising results were that the lead in his blood was something like twice over the USA EPA limits.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
You could make up a rinse of hot water and that Birchwood casey case cleaner.  IT works pretty well for removing grime, but it won't put a mirror finish on the brass.

I used to do this before I got a tumbler.  It works well enough to clean the cases but lacks the vanity appeal of polished brass cases.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never tried this, but I heard some people say you can toss a load of brass into a nylon stocking, and do 'em in the washing machine on gentle.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Get some G96 Brand Brass Case Cleaner

You toss it in a container with your brass, shake it up and all residue comes off.  Its reusable also, so just strain out the junk and put back in the bottle.  Then you run some really hot water into the container with the brass and shake it up until the water is clear and the brass is shiny.

I didn't have a tumbler for 4 years because of this stuff.  It works really well!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
put them in a net/mesh bag and take them down to the Coin-Op Wash, maybe around midnight so you wont look like a pyscho. they should have industrial washers and dryers there. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been evaluating the Birchwood/Casey Brass Cartridge Case Cleaner solution. It works pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Back when I was reloading I used something called ISOmarine brass cleaner. - Didn't mess with the grain structure of the brass like ammonia based stuff will do - Would take the crappiest range brass and make it look like new.

The procedure was simple.

1)Decap brass
2)dunk brass for like 10 seconds in the cleaner
3)tumble brass in Dillon media separator.
4)Dry for five minutes on a towel
5)Tumble in cob for an hour
6)Back into the media separator

Once fired mill brass would look better than the new primed Winchester stuff after this.

Down side is that five gallons cost like $100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top