Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/13/2003 2:41:48 PM EDT
I think thats my current favorite television show. Not sure why other than building killer,custom,$70,000 choppers would be a great way to make a living. Hell restoring cars,building hotrods or otherwise creating custom vehicles would be the ultimate in my mind. Anyhow I really like the show and was wondering if anyone else watches?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:48:14 PM EDT
I love that show. Only thing I don't like is when I see that it is on and I press the 'info' button on my remote and it tells me it was the one I watched last time. The same shows are repeated so many times. For instance, the Spiderbike one came on again after they had already build 2 more bikes on the show. Other than I love the show.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:48:45 PM EDT
I am not really into those kind of bikes (for me it's Triumphs , BSA's , BMW's )but I think the show is pretty entertaining ....I particularly just like watching the build's even if I am not so into the final product...they do some impressive work...what I wouldn't give for a shop like that.... t
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:50:37 PM EDT
Is that the one about Orange County Choppers? I like that one. Kinda reminds me of my old daddy. With out the scooters. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:52:53 PM EDT
i just like to watch the father and son bitch back and forth [:p]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:55:05 PM EDT
The dad built that business from the ground up starting with nothing. If you want a shop like that all you've got to do is make it happen. I love the show too, I'm obsessed with bikes in general, all kinds, choppers especially. Hopefully this weekend I'm picking up a welder and starting to learn to weld. I'm going to take scrap from my jobsite for now to get the basics down. I am hoping to be able to start a chopper project of my own soon. One thing I don't like about Orange County Choppers as opposed to West Coast Choppers is that Paul Jr. isnt nearly the fabricator that Jesse is. Paul starts with bought frames, wheels, etc. Jesse starts with a pile of tube stock and solid billet aluminum disks. I'd also like to see both of them be more involved in the engine work. Seems like most chopper builders either throw in a stock Evo, or buy a top of the line big inch evo (S&S just came out with the 145 inch motor!). I'd also like to see what Jesse can do with the Vrod. I've seen articles where he's talked about it, but haven't seen what he's come up with yet. I don't think even all that high-technology could get the best of that guy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:55:20 PM EDT
Yeah,thats the one. You know I'm not really into choppers either,infact I don't really ride but I can appreciate beauty and craftsmanship. Plus the people in the show are regular dudes that remind me of people that I've known.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:38:24 PM EDT
I think it's gay. WAY too much "acting" by folks who are not actors. Lame entertainment, IMO. AB
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:39:57 PM EDT
I like it, good show.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:44:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By norman74: One thing I don't like about Orange County Choppers as opposed to West Coast Choppers is that Paul Jr. isnt nearly the fabricator that Jesse is. Paul starts with bought frames, wheels, etc. Jesse starts with a pile of tube stock and solid billet aluminum disks. I'd also like to see both of them be more involved in the engine work. Seems like most chopper builders either throw in a stock Evo, or buy a top of the line big inch evo (S&S just came out with the 145 inch motor!). I'd also like to see what Jesse can do with the Vrod. I've seen articles where he's talked about it, but haven't seen what he's come up with yet. I don't think even all that high-technology could get the best of that guy.
View Quote
I live about 20 miles away from OCC but have never had an excuse to go there... Paul Jr. is not as much the hands-on type that Jesse James is but he IS very creative with his designs. His dad doesn't understand why he just sits there looking at the bike as he's designing it but I know exactly the mental process that happens when you 'just look at it.' While it would be nice to build your own engines the cost factor there is way beyond the folks at OCC. There are a few people that could design an engine but very few of them are relliable. Some things you just gota buy from someone else! The style of bike they build is not exactly up my ally as I'm more of a Jap/Itialian performance bike type. I was just looking at a 2003 GSX-R1000 but it's a good thing I didn't pick it up as I was just laid-off yesterday. Later,
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:54:20 PM EDT
I liked the show that had the building contest between Billy Lane of Choppers Inc and Bourget of Arizona. Very nice bikes. I like the West Coast Chopper shows too. Orange County guys get a little old with the BS fighting crap.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:03:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Raptorsys: Paul Jr. is not as much the hands-on type that Jesse James is but he IS very creative with his designs. His dad doesn't understand why he just sits there looking at the bike as he's designing it but I know exactly the mental process that happens when you 'just look at it.'
View Quote
Trust me, I understand the design process, I spent 5 years in architecture school designing things, staring at basswood and chipboard at 3 in the morning. I'm also not taking anything away from Paul Jr. However, as I know from the construction world, it takes alot more to know the fabrication, and have the talent to not only design it, but construct it as well. I have tons of friends that can draw out a nice bike, and could very easily pay others to put the parts together. Paul does do some fabrication, and I'm sure that will increase as time goes on, he's still extremely new to the industry. While Paul Jr. is one in a million, Jesse James is one in a billion. Watch Monster Garage, and watch how he can just plain design the shit out of something, and build it all himself to boot. That is an amazing talent. I don't know one architect who could so much as put up 10 linear feet of studwall, drywall, tape & finish and have it be straight. Paul Jr. falls somewhere in between the two.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:08:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fuzzybunny: I liked the show that had the building contest between Billy Lane of Choppers Inc and Bourget of Arizona. Very nice bikes. I like the West Coast Chopper shows too. Orange County guys get a little old with the BS fighting crap.
View Quote
IMO, the fighting and bickering make the show ten times better. If it were just a couple of guys building bikes and being sweet to each other, the show would pretty much suck.
Paul Sr. Suck it up! Get to work! Everyone else is here on time and you stroll late as usual and act like you own the place!
View Quote
Paul Jr is a spoiled brat. He does shit to aggrivate his father for the hell of it. He knows he won't get fired and his dad needs him for fabrication. I dislike people like him and I'm sure those other guys in the shop dislike him as well. But, of course, they can't say anything because he is the boss's son. He'd be a nothing without his father's business.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:40:55 PM EDT
I like it too. The design work is pretty good and Paulie is a decent fabricator. The old man needs to be shot with a tranqulizer gun sometimes though. Reminds me of me! As far as building a bike, I will probably have to go with a Nostalgia Cycle kit bike. About $11,000 for a bike you paint and bolt together. I'm too po to get reckless with my creativity on a bike. It would be the end of me for sure. This wroughtiron is about to bankrupt me now. Everytime I build something the wife wants it for the house. How am I supposed to get rich like that? Norman74, if you need some welding info I'm there for you bro. Just remember, it's an addiction worse than crack if you really dig it like me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2003 6:14:51 PM EDT by byron2112]
darelickt, I pretty much agree with everything you said.While paul jr. is talented if he was working for a stranger he'd be out of a job.Nobody would put up with that shit. Sometimes I wish Big Pauly would bitchsmack him for real,his whining pisses me off.[:)] As far as fabricating wheels and frames,its probably cost in time and money,much like the engines. They design the wheels then send them out to the folks with the CNC equipment.Apparently OCC isn't interested in getting into the CNC business. The frames they can probably save alot of time and money on, just buying something thats already put together and ready to hang parts on.No doubt they could fab up there own,but why bother when someone else is mass producing a guaranteed product? Besides I'm sure most of the customization that people are after is in the other details on the bike rather than the raw frame itself. fuzzybunny, I really liked that chopper wars show too. Gawd how bout that dudes shop in Arizona?All those CNC machines,everything fabbed up from scratch in polished aluminum.That was one hell of an operation......Sick!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:24:39 PM EDT
I don't care for choppers all that much, but I just enjoy watching the talent that goes into building things like that. I really liked how the jetbike turned out. The paintjob on it was very cool. Oh yeah... I also like to watch the two Pauls come about 2 inches from beating the shit out of each other every show. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:53:15 PM EDT
Hey guys, I like the show, its pretty cool. I dont ride, but the bikes are really pretty neat to look at. That said, have none of you guys guessed why Paul Sr. is such a raving nut-bar all the time? Lets all say it together slowly: "S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S" When you are a narcissitic ego-maniac... steroids... there is no substitute. Hahaha! That guy is so juiced I cant believe he hasnt beat his kids rear yet... Dram out
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:07:52 PM EDT
I turned on the show expecting to see a show about helicopters. Boy, was I disappointed. Just some kid fighting with his grouchy dad. Plus, every time I run across the show, they're still building that same spider motorcycle. DrMark
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:38:58 PM EDT
I'm afraid to say... I'm Paulie's dad...At least theat is my demeanor
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2003 10:58:09 PM EDT by darealickt]
Originally Posted By Dramborleg: Hey guys, I like the show, its pretty cool. I dont ride, but the bikes are really pretty neat to look at. That said, have none of you guys guessed why Paul Sr. is such a raving nut-bar all the time? Lets all say it together slowly: "S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S" When you are a narcissitic ego-maniac... steroids... there is no substitute. Hahaha! That guy is so juiced I cant believe he hasnt beat his kids rear yet... Dram out
View Quote
Paul Sr is definately shootin' the juice! You want to know why he hasn't beaten Paul Jr's ass yet? Because Sr [b]knows[/b] that Jr is takin' it too!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:55:51 PM EDT
I don't watch it because they waste too much time BSing. For me it got old real fast. Sometimes his pop will just start shit for the hell of it. Well, for the cameras.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:41:25 PM EDT
thats a fun show to watch, but the constant arguing is getting boring, i just like to watch the fabrication work. is paul jr the fabricator that jesse james is? NO but then jesse been doing it for how long? 15+ years and paul jr about 3 years?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:17:47 AM EDT
I hate choppers but I love the show. I liked the Cody Project. Neat to see the kid's reactions.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:37:55 AM EDT
i like the show. it is getting verry old watching the same episode all the time tho. but personaly im not a big fan of the bikes they make.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:21:35 AM EDT
The one episode that Paul Sr. was scared shitless was when he had that dental appt. All that drilling in the shop and sht must have gotten to him cuz he blew up at Pauly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:59:17 AM EDT
I never miss it. I'm not really into bikes, but I can sure appreciate a cool bike and what it takes to make it. That and Monster Garage are my 2 favorite shows on the Discovery channel. [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:08:06 AM EDT
Don't watch it. I hate all those "reality" shows. My opinion is that it is junk TV. Whenever there is a camera involved, people are not going to be themselves and do an acting job for the camera. The wife likes to watch the Osbornes, survivor and some other ones. I always have to leave the room. She gets mad at me when I tell her she is watching "crap". Just my opinion, though. And I'm probably in the minority.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:25:06 AM EDT
I'll have to give Jesse James credit, There are not alot of people left in this country today, who can make a gas tank up from scratch, by hand,The ability to do that is somewhat of a lost artform, I can understand why O.C.C. Farms alot of stuff out,They're not that big of an operation, and they probably can't afford to buy the machinery, I'd hate to think what a CNC machine to make custom rims costs, You'd have to make a hellva lot of rims to make that thing pay for itself...Jesse James looks like he's running alot bigger shop,And can probably afford to do more in shop fabracation, Of the two, (Jesse, Paul,jr)I'd have to say Jesse has more talent, (Paul jr is no slouch) But,Jesse is the more talented of the two, Anybody who can take some sheetmetal,make their templates,cut them out,form them,weld it up, and turn it into a Good looking, custom gastank,(not some peice of shit) in a matter of hours is, in my opinion a talented S.O.B.
Top Top