Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2003 6:51:02 AM EDT
Anyone have a high cholesterol level?  What do you use to lower it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Simvistatin...

edit: good exercise doesnt hurt either as well as food intake watch
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In the spirit of your sigline...

I keep my cholesterol down with burgers, fries and a large vanilla shake.
View Quote

I tried that diet but it didn't work for me [:(].
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the spirit of your sigline...

I keep my cholesterol down with burgers, fries and a large vanilla shake.
View Quote

I tried that diet but it didn't work for me
View Quote

Those are definitely cardiac foods!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Lipitor.

Went from 330 total ([:O]) to 160!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out that "Eat for your Blood Type" book. Haven't had mine checked, but I feel better. GF owns a health food store, she had me read it because she was tired of watching me "poison" myself. Also found out beer is good for me!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check out that "Eat for your Blood Type" book. Haven't had mine checked, but I feel better. GF owns a health food store, she had me read it because she was tired of watching me "poison" myself. Also found out beer is good for me!
View Quote

I am not sure that beer is ready to be considered a healthy food just yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a friend in New Orleans that eats a plate of french fries everyday. Almost without fail he does this and his cholesterol stays around 150. WTF? Is there some kind of genetic reason for this?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#9]
All things in moderation.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried the diet thing when I was first diagnosed with high cholesterol.

For me, at least, it did virtually nothing.

OTOH, exercise, again for me, definitely helps.

Recent studies have suggested that a glass of wine a day (or equivalent alcohol) can raise your “good” cholesterol.

FWIW
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't be truly hung up on the number. What is your level, and what is your HDL, LDL, VLDL, total, and ratios. Did you fast 12 hours prior to you test? What is family history, ie cardiovascular disease? Any other conditons such as liver disorders or diabetes? These all should be taken into account before you are put on meds. Aerobic exercise and diet have helped alot of people lower it. I know some people have cut there cholesterol a 100 points by doing Atkins or other low car diets. Some people can "handle' higher choletserol than others. I have an uncle whose chlosterol is 350 and he is 85. Hid doctor wanted to put him on mecication, and he said what I am I going to live longer. Go figure. If diet and exercise don't work use whatever meds your doc has best success with. Just keep an eye on side effects.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I think my elevated cholesterol level is due more to genetics, although I do need to watch my diet and get back on a regular exercise routine.  All of my mother's family has high cholesterol - their liver produces too much cholesterol.  I guess I am just doomed.

Has anyone who has taken Lipitor had any side effects from it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm taking lipitor.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#14]
lipitor is an evil drug.  I took it and started getting night sweats.  Then after 1-2 weeks I could barely walk.  Pain in the lower back etc.  Stopped the medication and got better.

I think the key to lower cholesterol is watching your saturated fat intake.  I used to eat 3-4 pieces of cheese (3-5 grams sat fat) candy bars which have high sat fat grams, pizza etc.   When you total it up, it was way over the limit.   I now try to keep under 15 or at least 20 somedays.   Went from 244 to 190 and now something like 170.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a friend in New Orleans that eats a plate of french fries everyday. Almost without fail he does this and his cholesterol stays around 150. WTF? Is there some kind of genetic reason for this?
View Quote

probably, my diet is not all that different from your friends and my cholesterol tested at 90 last fall. The highest it's ever been is 100 (1.5yrs ago) and the lowest was 69(right after I got home from Africa).
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
At 400 cholesterol with 1200 Triglyceride count, I tried Lipitor to no avail, then switched to Tricor.  The Tricor has given me good results the statins couldn't.  I still have no idea why they were so damn high.  I don't drink alcohol which actually lowers LDL and increases HDL, so maybe that has a little to do with it, but I'm still not happy about this problem.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

my dad had a cholesterol test once a year

always came back with "good" levels

he died at 45 from complications of a bypass operation that was supposed to clear up some clogged heart vessles

don't think good cholesterol readings mean you're home free
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
My Doc put me on Lipitor, 10 mg. size, 3 years ago.  Dropped me from mid-200's down to 170'ish---Now I go to Tony Roma's whenever I want!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Took Zocor for a while...worked great...too expensive....I just watch what I eat now...alot of chicken,turkey and fish. I 'splerge' when I want to. Last check bad colestorol is low and fine good colestorol is up and good...got an 'attaboy' from my Doc too![:D][party]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Using Pravachol for a year and a half.  Works well, no side effects, not cheap.  Forget dieting - exercise alot, drink plenty of water, and reduce stress in your life.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
lipitor seems to be working real well for me.  My overall numbers have dropped significantly, but ratio is still off.  Genetics can have a lot to do with it.  My Mother (and probably her Mother) have high numbers, Lipitor works for my Mother.  Her Mother started having strokes by her mid-50's.

If your liver is slightly off production all the exercise and diet fixes won't overcome a treasonous liver.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Lipitor - no side effects.  Went from 236 to 150 total.  My doctor said it was mostly genetics.  Diet and exercise can give you 10-15% difference at most.  Exercise is, by far, the biggest part of that 10-15%.  If you're on the border you can get your ratio in range.  If you're not close to where you need to be it's probably meds for you.  I don't really think doctors truly have anywhere near a complete picture of what's bad and what's not and how it really affects you.  My doctor said he knew 3 brothers - all cardioligists, all fanatics about diet/exercise, all with heart disease.  Genetics is a BIG player.  Of course, that's not an excuse to ignore things.  Just a fact.  You should do all that you can to help yourself, because the alternative is very uncomfortable - I know.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I take Tricore and Pravachol. Brought the cholesterol to 150 from high 300's triglicerites to 100 from 500.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I do. 3 months ago it was @ 386, 1 month later and 30 Lipitor it was @ 185. I am due to have it checked as I type. Lipitor can have an adverse affect on your liver,the doc will want to check that also.
AB

edited to add: I have had no side effects using this medication.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top