Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 3:01:42 PM EDT
We just purchased a home and will be moving this weekend. We currently have cable TV but have been thinking about switching over to some kind of dish network.

How does cable tv compare to satellite tv?

Can you get local tv programs on a dish??

We don't watch any sports on tv so we don't want one with tons of sports.

What's the best dish provider for the money?

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I just switched over to Dish Network yesterday from Cablevision. My computer is still on cable. First rain storm I lost my signal I was pissed. Called them up they walked me through resetting the signal strength.
I hope this isn't going to be a constant problem. I have until Tomorrow to decide if I want to keep it. I did it to save some money and I am getting some extra channels. I do not see much of a picture difference between this and digital cable. Then again I don't have a HDTV.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Dishnetwork w/a PVR box...Beats the stuffing outta cable-BUT a Dish will go down in a Thunder Storm.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Cable---cause i get mine for free & free cable modem..[:)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had both and had little problems with either.  As of now the cable has better features with rental movies able to be controlled as if they were DVD's. (stop, pause etc.)for the 24 hour period.   The only thing I liked about DirecTV was that in the beginning you could get east coast feeds of the major networks and watch prime time shows 3 hours earlier on the west coast.  With cable you get all the local stations both VHF and UHF, not a big deal for some but in our area it includes the majority of spanish speaking/oriented fare.  I don't have any current definitive info on Dish at the moment but I suspect it has some limitations in the local channel area.  In the past they've attempted to handle this via a regular UHF/VHF antenna that integrates it's signal into the box
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I switched from cable to Dish Network seven years ago - best move I've ever made!
If you need or want cable i-net access you should still make sure you got cable to your house.
Dish Network with the 501 or 508 PVR receiver is the best thing going, at least for me!
I'll NEVER do cable again - ever - not even if they send over the Female Naked Swedish Skydiving Team to convince me!!!  (well I'd think about it - but that's it)....
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]
dish network , I like it a lot, no  problems.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't had cable in years.  Been on DirecTV since '97.  Went DirecTV/Tivo a couple of years ago and haven't looked back since.  Kick ass sound and video.

Only problem with the dish is rain fade.  Had that happen when living in MS during T-Storms.  Annoying, but better than having the cable down for hours at a time.  I've had rain fade here in SoCal a few times, but only during nasty T-Storms and only for a minute here, minute there.

Get a PVR unit (a combo rcv/recorder if possible).  It really is a life altering device.  Program it, forget and watch what you want exactly when you want to (and skip the damn commercials).  The ability to freeze live TV for up to a half-hour is great.  Never miss a thing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Dish Network all the way.  If you take a little extra time to mount it solidly and get tune in a strong signal they work great.  I think some people settle for barely good enough signal then it doesn't take much to block it.  I live in west TX where we have an assload of thunderstorms and have never lost signal in one.  There were only two times that  it lost picture in the last five years.  It was snowing heavily, with large flakes.  Signal returned within 30 seconds.  Between roomates, guests girlfriends, a wife, and me the tv is freaking constantly on.

If your cable isn't digital your also missing out on a better picture and sound.

Cable companies kinda piss me off anyway.  They pay lobbyists to keep dish owners from getting broadcast tv by satellite.  Then in their mailings make it sound as if satellite tv providers don't care about it.  The only thing good about cable is that you can just plug it in without a box in some cases.

If you get a dish just don't half-ass the installation and aiming.  You can get away without RG6 cable and no noticable loss of picture quality.  At least I have.  Don't know how it might affect surround sound though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as the dish is installed and peaked correctly, regardless of if its Dish or Directv, you should rarely ever lose signal. I have had DTV for 6 years (installed myself) and I can count the number of times I've lost signal on one hand.
It just needs to be attatched to a very sturdy surface, Have all the bolts tightened very tight and have a clean cable run to the reciever.
switches and hardware may fail, but thats far less common than people losing signal cause of a crappy install.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Ask about high speed internet connection with the dish.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
have had directv for about 5 years now, and the picture quality beats cable hands down.
we installed the dish thing ourselves and its pretty easy, you need 2 people with walk talkies to get the strongest signal, one on the roof adjusting the dish and another watching the signal on the tube.

in strong winds and rain ive lost the connection maybe 2x, maybe 2 more times on non-rainy days. and each time was for just a few mins or less.
a lot might have to do with how sturdy your dish mount is.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't trade my dish network for cable at gunpoint.  there simply is no comparison....
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Directv with Ultimatetv (plug for my utv page [url]http://www.public.asu.edu/~rwultsch/utv.html[/url])

Note: This is the only msft product that I have ever bought.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:01:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Cable company has a monopoly. For that reason they will never get a dime from me. At least the satalite TV providers have some competiton between them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top