Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2003 1:00:45 PM EDT
So, I just finished reading Lost World by Michael Crichton. I really liked it, MUCH more satisfying than the movie, and a lot different. I was thinking, what would be the best rifle to drop a Velociraptor if you were being charged or surrounded [;)]. Remember, they're quick, agile, and very aggressive. We'll base this off the book/movie Velociraptors, because real-life ones are about half as big. Any thoughts?

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
In Jurassic Park, didnt that hunter guy have a SPAS-12?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
.17 HMR
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
As fast as they are, if you was being charged (or were surrounded) by a group, there's not much you could do. But, my choices would be 12 ga. shotgun, 3 inch magnum, loaded with 00 buck, for close in work, rifle wise something in 30 caliber, (.308, 30.06) prefer mag fed. as a well as a large caliber handgun, (.44/.45).

The best you could hope for was to get high and have your back and sides shielded so that they could only come from one direction, as they were pack hunters and while you were taking down the ones to your front, its the ones to the sides and rear that would get you. It would be different to hunt something that hunts you.

On a side note what kind of rifle to take down a T-Rex, and where to shoot it?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In Jurassic Park, didnt that hunter guy have a SPAS-12?
View Quote

I believe you are correct. Muldoon I think was his name. I bet a 12 gauge slug would ruin a 'raptor's day.

Quoted:
.17 HMR
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking about that. Since it's SO large, you have a good chance of hitting the heart, BUT you'd have to penetrate the hide/bones AND the heart is most likely huge, so it may not affect it right away. A head shot would be iffy I think, considering the brain is speculated to be very small, and it's such a large head.

I'm thinking 40mm grenades or 20mm cannon [naughty]

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
They are a large bird. Hollow bones and all. So .223 would probably work well.

I wanted to see US Marines vs Velociraptors. I am disappointed that they never wrote such a story. Have a MEU/SOC have to come in and clean up the island.

For a T rex .50 cal would do the job.

So would a LOT of 7.62 fire from MGs, that is how pochers take elephants. Probaby a 40mm HEDP direct hit wouldn't do it any good either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

a SMAW-D...... yeah defenitely a SMAW-D round in the chest
--RR
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
From: [url]http://www.mathematical.com/dinovelociraptor.html[/url]

Velociraptor was closely related to the North American Deinonychus. Not
massive like Tyrannosaurus or Tarbosaurus, this smaller dinosaur was a fierce
predator, being quick and agile, as is portrayed in the movie 'Jurassic Park'.
Unfortunately, the producers of 'Jurassic Park' felt compelled to make the movie
Velociraptor 400% larger than the fossil record would indicate. This perhaps
sold 400% more videos. Velociraptor was probably the size of a Great Dane. For
its size, proportionally its brain was the largest of any dinosaur.
View Quote

[url]http://www.childrensmuseum.org/kinetosaur/dinovelo.html[/url] - Velociraptor (1.8 m/length)

Just FYI.  It's not the right size in the movie.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Why don't you ask someone who plays some Dungeons and Dragons type game? They would have the most experience using a pretend weapon against a pretend monster.
View Quote

I graduated from WPI. Trust me, I know the type. They wouldn't know JACK about what a real weapon does to a real living thing. It's a fun question, don't be such a sourpuss.

View Quote

NOW we're talking!

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...Velociraptor was closely related to the North American Deinonychus...
View Quote

Yeah, I remember reading this a couple nights ago. If I remember the Deinonychus was actually near the size of what the movie portrayed Velociraptors to be. I think it means "terrible claw".

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
a .577 Tyrannasaur, duh [:E]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

NOW we're talking!
View Quote

Of course I'm biased.... I'm employed by Talley... we make them... he-he
[rocket]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From: [url]http://www.mathematical.com/dinovelociraptor.html[/url]

Velociraptor was closely related to the North American Deinonychus. Not
massive like Tyrannosaurus or Tarbosaurus, this smaller dinosaur was a fierce
predator, being quick and agile, as is portrayed in the movie 'Jurassic Park'.
Unfortunately, the producers of 'Jurassic Park' felt compelled to make the movie
Velociraptor 400% larger than the fossil record would indicate. This perhaps
sold 400% more videos. Velociraptor was probably the size of a Great Dane. For
its size, proportionally its brain was the largest of any dinosaur.
View Quote

[url]http://www.childrensmuseum.org/kinetosaur/dinovelo.html[/url] - Velociraptor (1.8 m/length)

Just FYI.  It's not the right size in the movie.
View Quote

Even at Great Dane size they'd be scary.  Maybe if they were solitary it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but pack predators that aggressive & fast?...  
Any full size battle rifle cartridge should work....308, .30-06, 8x57, 7.62x54R etc.  Must be semi-auto (or full) the damned things move way too fast & in groups to handicap yourself with a boltaction.  I'd say BAR...20 rnds of full auto .30-06 & heavy/tough enuff to use as a club.  Too bad there's no bayonet mount for it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
The species [i]Velociraptor[/i] is only dog size.

But the order of Velociraptors, as a group of related species built the same way, includes species as big as in the movie. (and actually the ones in the movie would have been more dangerous if they had been a little smaller, they would have fit in more of the places people could go.)

However most of these speicies were found AFTER the original Jurassic Park movie was made.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
It seemed pretty obvious to me.

Just like I screamed during Signs, "Where's the shotgun???"

I screamed during Jurassic and Lost World, "Where's the fire???"

Animals, even mean nasty ones, fear fire.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I bet even at the size of a greyhound, that nasty claw they have would still be able to eviscerate you. If not, then definitely cause you some major problems. A few of them attacking you at once, at that "small" size? Yeah it's all over.

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Man.
I posted a thread something like this about 2 years ago and got thoroughly flamed.
I'd get me a S&W fifty cal wheelgun to be fair.
I'd also file the sight off.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bet even at the size of a greyhound, that nasty claw they have would still be able to eviscerate you. If not, then definitely cause you some major problems. A few of them attacking you at once, at that "small" size? Yeah it's all over.

Fly Navy
View Quote

Think Zerg.

Starcraft players will understand.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Think Zerg.

View Quote

Everytime I played Starcraft, the Zerg always seemed a rip-off of the Xenomorphs from the Alien movies. Fun game though.

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
The raptors in the movie were actually Utahraptors. Much bigger and their skull structure is different than that of a velociraptor.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I would use a +5 Sword of Might and Adamanite Tower shield while wearing Elfin Chainmail and Helm of Invisibility.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#25]
StreetSweeper
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think Zerg.

View Quote

Everytime I played Starcraft, the Zerg always seemed a rip-off of the Xenomorphs from the Alien movies. Fun game though.

Fly Navy
View Quote

Well they were, I was refering to the way they attacked and their size. The cinimatic sequence at the begining where the human farmer runs into one-literally-with his vheicle then gets eaten when he gets out to check on it. The Xenomorphs were bigger and preferred to use their double mouths rather than kicking you to death.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Do you think velociraptors taste like chicken?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Flame thrower baby. Aint nothin alive that wont run from a wall of fire!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd use one of them hulking revolver grenade launchers filled with buck shot rounds.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The raptors in the movie were actually Utahraptors. Much bigger and their skull structure is different than that of a velociraptor.
View Quote
when I was a kid (I'm only 22 now, so I was pretty young when Jurassic Park came out), I became really obsessed with this.  I was pretty certain they portrayed the Deinonychus (sp?) species in the movie, and I definitely remember them making mention of it in the book.  When the kid was talking to the dino dude about stuff before SHTF, IIRC.

and also, the raptors in the movie looked almost identical to the deinonychus drawings in books I had and to pre-jurassic park deinonychus toys I had.

but honestly, I don't think it's all that big of a deal, because it's been a rather long time and I've probably forgotten stuff about it and it was a movie anyway.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, I'm 21, so I saw Jurassic Park when I was younger. It's still one of my all time favorite movies. There was something spectacular about watching dinosaurs come to life and be totally convincing. It's like a childhood dream.

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I would think a SAW with V-Max bullets would do just fine. Of course a mini-gun would be nice also.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Sherman M4A3 "Zippo"

[img]http://iwojima.com/battle/lbattln.gif[/img]

And if the above is not available, then two of these would be my second choice.

[img]http://iwojima.com/battle/lbattla.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#34]
MOAB
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Hmm, what about lots of claymores and grenades? I bet ringing your perimeter with claymores would work nice on them.

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#36]
As mentioned by [b]Xer0[/b] and [b]DPeacher[/b], the flamethrower would be the ticket here![pyro]

FWIW I was one of the Dungeons & Dragons freaks... played for well over 10 years. [;D]

EricE
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#37]
FWIW I was one of the Dungeons & Dragons freaks... played for well over 10 years. [;D]

EricE
View Quote

Ok, sorry for the generalization. Let me re-phrase. MOST of the D&D freaks I know are...freaks. I know some very normal ones as well.

[^]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Either the big ones or the small ones I'd go with a Saiga 12ga with the proper 10 rnd mags loaded with 00.  That would screw some stuff up...

For just general "Jurassic Park" use I think a FAL or G3 would be the ticket although the Saiga with some slugs would probably also do well enough.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#39]
[i]The best you could hope for was to get high...[/i]

Did anybody else get this far and wonder how that was going to help?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass. I just checked Dinosauria online. This is a list of the raptor species.(ammended to add recommended calibers.)

Bambiraptor: size of a chicken: 12 gauge rabbit and squrrel shot would work.

Deinonychus: Little bigger than a large german sheppard: .223 should suffice

Troodon: same size as above and thought to be the most intelligent: .223

Velociraptor: Slightly smaller than a man and possibly feathered: 12 gauge slugs

Utahraptor: Slightly larger than a man: Street sweeper with duplex rounds.

Megaraptor: Known from very few fossils. Thought to be around 30 feet long and nearly a ton, standing about 9 feet tall. .50 cal +

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Claymores.  Not the sword ones (see my take on those in the best zombie gun thread), the M18 ones.
Lots of them.  Lots of raptor parts lying around.

F***ing clowns, zombies, and velociraptors.
Kill 'em all!
They give me nightmares!

Bilster

PS  Oviraptor translates to something like "egg sucking thief."  Kill 'em too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Poking fun at D&D players in this thread is pointless since D&D has nothing to do with guns, except maybe an arquebus.

The REAL dubasses are the LARP'ers (that's Live Action Role Playing).  There's alot of Vampire: The Masquerade LARP'ers who see nothing unrealistic about having a "gunfight" with a .50 AE in each hand.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was meant as "to get to some high ground" if possible. Not to fire one up and get high.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#44]
The REAL dubasses are the LARP'ers (that's Live Action Role Playing).  There's alot of Vampire: The Masquerade LARP'ers who see nothing unrealistic about having a "gunfight" with a .50 AE in each hand.  
View Quote

Ya but at least they have nicer womenz than the d&d crowd.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Im thinking fast acting nerve toxin.

Whilst i am in a full chem suit of course.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep. The book is 1,000,000x better than the movie. I thought that it was dumb in the book that they used the air rifles with the poison darts.

Also velociraptors skulls are dished out in the skull (side view between the eyes and nostrils) were the dienonychus are wedge shaped.

In Jurassic Park when Muldoon gets the SPAS-12 from the locker if you pay attention you can see the carrying handles/upper handguards of some M-16A2/A3's
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Velociraptor was closely related to the North American Deinonychus...
View Quote

Yeah, I remember reading this a couple nights ago. If I remember the Deinonychus was actually near the size of what the movie portrayed Velociraptors to be. I think it means "terrible claw".

Fly Navy
View Quote
You're correct!Also The Velociraptors in Jurrasic Park looked more like Deinonycus the Velociraptor. The Velociraptor had a much longer a flatter skull.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#48]
dienonychus:
[img]http://flood.nhm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/dino/img/deinon.jpg[/img]
[img]http://flood.nhm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/dino/img/scale/deinon.gif[/img]

velociraptor:
[img]http://flood.nhm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/dino/img/veloc.jpg[/img]
[img]http://flood.nhm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/dino/img/scale/veloc.gif[/img]

source:
[url=http://www.nhm.ac.uk/index.html]The Natural History Museum of London, England[/url]

edited to add:
quoted from the source page:
As portrayed in the film 'Jurassic Park' and 'The Lost World', Velociraptor was recreated at twice its actual size and closely modelled on Deinonychus. Though this was seen as unscientific at the time, soon after the first film was released, a dinosaur of the same type, Utahraptor, was discovered, even larger than the virtual velociraptors.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It was meant as "to get to some high ground" if possible. Not to fire one up and get high.
View Quote

Yes, I understood that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#50]
25mm Bushmaster

Not for the gun, but for what it comes attached to...

I doubt even the movie-enhanced critters could claw their way through a Bradley...

Similar specs for a M2HB mounted in a M113, although I think that one would leave my head exposed...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top