Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2003 12:54:09 PM EDT
Day two.... Tried a factory colt 32 round mag.  Holds bolt open fine after last shot and ate approximately 300 rounds without a malfunction.  Thanks for the help guys.  BTW anyone interested in a trade for 18 modified uzi mags? [:D]

Just finished my RRA 9mm project, I am at the range right now on their computer.  Problem is ejecting... it doesn't.  casing just gets stuck in the upper with the new stripped live round.  happens no matter which of the eighteen different mags I use.  any ideas?  BTW all parts on the rifle are RRA.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
spent casing does get pulled from the chamber and does get pushed off of the bolt by the "pointy thingy" on the mag well block, but just doesn't come out of the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello, I will try my best to assist since I have a RRA 9mm. Are you using a RRA 1 piece mag block? If so then is it pushed all the way up into the mag well and then tightened down? Did you buy the mags from RRA? What kind of buttstock do you have? A2, 6 position? What kind of buffer tube are you using? Lastly what kind of ammo are you shooting. I will check back here often to check your answers...

C4
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
send it back, get refund
RRA has problems with their 9mm ARs
ask ILIKELEGS
His has always jammed, they blame the magazines, but I call BS.
I have 2 COLT 9mm ARs and they both fire 1000's of rounds without any problems using COLT mags, Argentine / UZI mags.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello, I will try my best to assist since I have a RRA 9mm. Are you using a RRA 1 piece mag block? If so then is it pushed all the way up into the mag well and then tightened down?
View Quote

Yes, and yes... I noticed there is a little play (before tightening) up and down, I have tried it all the way up, but it didn't work.  just lowered it slightly to see if that helps.

Did you buy the mags from RRA?
View Quote

No, bought them from a dealer on the EE here.  Saw several replies saying they worked great in others RRA's

What kind of buttstock do you have? A2, 6 position?
View Quote

A1, have carbine spring and 9mm buffer as directed by RRA (also have 9mm stock spacer from RRA which I have tried with and without)

What kind of buffer tube are you using?
View Quote

Don't understand this question.

Lastly what kind of ammo are you shooting. I will check back here often to check your answers...

C4
View Quote

factory PMC ammo

thanks for any answers you can give, gonna go try it again after recent mods, will check back shortly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
That is such B.S.! RRA 9mm systems work great. So there was one guy with some bad mags, big deal! Every gun manufacturer has an issues with something once and awhile. I have run thousands of rounds through mine with not a single FTF/FTE....

C4
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
update... got about 4 shots per string before jamming with the mag well adapter lowered.  did notice however, that the casings didn't seem to be coming out with any force and kind of just "fall" out of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
(it wasn't the mags - it is the gun)
We tried actual COLT mags in it, the recommended mags, etc.
The gun is a POS.
Now, as for your gun, it might be okay, but it looks like SgtKiwi got the same shit batch from RRA.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Well it sounds like your setup is sound. I just wanted to make sure you had the right buffer in their. I hate to say it, but I am thinking it is your mags. I wish I could send you some of my RRA 9mm mags and see what the difference is...

C4
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
All those replies.... How about bending the ejector in towards the bolt without actually dragging the bolt. There is very little room for the ejector to firmly hit the case, so you need all the contact you can get. Also look for the case coming back with the bolt to touch the lip on the mag, and get bumped too early.

Mags on rifle the wont eject, now I've heard it all, I'd beleive mags for a possible feed problem.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard of only a couple of people having some issues, but it was usually operator error. Just don't group all RRA 9mm systems as "POS" when their not...

C4
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have heard of only a couple of people having some issues, but it was usually operator error. Just don't group all RRA 9mm systems as "POS" when their not...

C4
View Quote

I didn't say that.  I said they have problems with them.  And his gun is a POS.

[size=6]RRA = POS[/size=6], IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish Bushmaster made a kit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
For those who tried to help, thanks... still trying.  If you don't have an idea quit hijacking the thread please.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't let customer service try to convince you it is the magazines....it is probably the gun.

Why try to fix it when RRA should fix it?  Unless you broke it, which I doubt.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
SgtKiwi, I wish I had some more suggestions for ya, but I don't. I would give RRA a call and explain the problem. I am sure they will assist you with any and all problems. The platform you purchased is a good one so don't think you made a mistake for buying it.

SA, I know of lots folks that have had issues with their Colt 9mm systems not working correctly. I personally think Colt is a POS and anyone that buys ANY of their products should have their head examined for spending that much money on an AR15! You are just paying for name recognition and crappy customer service. Have you ever called Colt's customer service??? Well I have and it SUCKS! Call RRA or BM's customer service. It is excellent to say the least. Colt has ZERO interest having you buy their products....

C4
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I also have an RRA and have had problems with pretty much anything but the cheap 100 round winchester value packs from wally world.  PMC, UMC, etc. just don't run...  Based on felt recoil, it seems that the win is a bit hotter...  I'd try a bunch of different types of ammo.   Not really an ideal solution - I think a firearm shouldn't be that picky - but you may be able to find something that works a bit better for you.  You also may need to fuss with the position of the mag block...

Rocko
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Rocko, I shoot the Winchester Value Pack ammo as well and it works well in my RRA. I also shoot Winchester 147gr Hydra Shocks without any problems. I agree that a carbine shouldn't be that picky about what ammo it eats....

C4
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a similar ejection problem w/ ASA 9 upper on DPMS lower. I think the mag well insert/ejector shifted and caused the problem, it was tight as hell when I took it out. Switched to a CavArms lower w/ looser mag well and it runs good, FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Sgt Kiwi,
I have both the ASA and RRA 9 mm carbines. I have found that for me the hotter ammo works best. I use the 100 round Winchester range pack, but I like American Eagle the best. 115 gr FMJ seems to work best for me. That being said, i haven`t experimented much.
FWIW,I think the ASA drop in mag block to be an excellent design. My ASA runs like a top with most of my mags. I have some south american contract mags the ASA block won`t take. The RRA will work well with the Colt mags or those contract mags I just mentioned.

My advice FWIW:
Try the my ammo suggestions. It`s the quickest, cheapest fix.
Try a 223 buffer, that may help. My M4forgerey with the full length tube and standard buffer worked fine when others reported trouble with the carbine buffer.IMHO, the heavier the buffer, the more powerful the ammo has to be to operate a recoil driven system.
Experiment with the mag blocks and the mags. Check for the snuggest fitting combinations. That may be the problem.

I hope this is helpful.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Well as the guy who did a Group Buy on RRA 9mms, including the one legs bought, his was the only one with problems and it was corrected 100%. Most of the problem 9mm's I've seen were parts guns (some RRA, some DPS, etc.)

Might have a bad block. I'd send it to RRA for a evaluation.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#21]
FYI - legs' RRA still has problems, and it WAS NEVER corrected by RRA.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#22]
COLT sux alright.  I hate them.
I prefer Bushmaster.  They are great!!

But as far as MY COLT 9mm ARs go, they are flawless.  They bump fire flawlessly too (ask legs & falarak).

But for RRA saying the mags and maybe the ammo were the problem is pure BS!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well as the guy who did a Group Buy on RRA 9mms, including the one legs bought, his was the only one with problems and it was corrected 100%. Most of the problem 9mm's I've seen were parts guns (some RRA, some DPS, etc.)

View Quote

[b][red]HUH???? No, it was NOT corrected 100%![/red][/b]

After ILL got it back from RRA, it still had problems, even with the mags from RRA that they said were working at the factory. He even tried various ammo and it still had many problems. He also had a very reputable gun smith look at it.

2 of the 25-rd RRA UZI-converted mags, of the 4 RRA sold him stating they would work, functioned flawlessly in my Colt (even when bump firing), but didn't function at all in his RRA. Hell-- the RRA wouldn't even work with factory Colt mags.

The other two RRA mags consistently jammed on the 2nd to last round in my Colt, but didn't jam at all on the first 23 rounds. (Mag springs were probably flipped or not strong enough?) I now own those two good mags [:D] since they worked in my Colt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SA, I know of lots folks that have had issues with their Colt 9mm systems not working correctly. I personally think Colt is a POS and anyone that buys ANY of their products should have their head examined for spending that much money on an AR15! You are just paying for name recognition and crappy customer service. Have you ever called Colt's customer service??? Well I have and it SUCKS! Call RRA or BM's customer service. It is excellent to say the least. Colt has ZERO interest having you buy their products....
C4
View Quote

I think COLT prefers to deal with LEO.  They do not really support the consumer, as I have found on a few occasions.
But, when you buy 4 complete post-ban 9mm ARs for $585 each, brand new in box, and they all work flawlessly, even with UZI magazines, you can't beat that deal.  What, exactly, is too much money for a COLT?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

C4
View Quote

First of all, you usually won't need to call customer service for a Colt, since you won't be having problems like many other brands-- A FACT. However, if you use other companies like Bushmaster and RRA, you will be working with their customer service more often, so they better provide excellent customer service, which you will notice more...

I've called Colt's customer service a couple times. No problems at all. Why I called: checking serial numbers, checking magazine availability, missing cleaning brush-- so they sent me an entire accessory kit including 2 Colt magazines!

As for Colt 9mm ARs sucking? If they suck so bad, then why do other companies (i.e. RRA) want to make copies of the original Colt 9mm AR? (And yes, in this case, if it isn't a Colt, its a copy.)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I have only called COLT about 9mm AR magazine avaiblability and the missing (FREE) cleaning kit that should have come with my Defender.
They sent me a f****ing patch instead of the cleaning kit!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just finished my RRA 9mm project, I am at the range right now on their computer.  Problem is ejecting... it doesn't.  casing just gets stuck in the upper with the new stripped live round.  happens no matter which of the eighteen different mags I use.  any ideas?  BTW all parts on the rifle are RRA.  
View Quote

Suggestions:

1. Use the Winchester 9mm-- its "Mojo" approved for his toys...
2. Check your extractor
3. Get new buffer and spring (use .223 buffer/spring): bolt will close harder/faster.

Last resort:
3. pin that magazine block in the correct position on the receiver so it won't move.

Quoted:
I have only called COLT about 9mm AR magazine avaiblability and the missing (FREE) cleaning kit that should have come with my Defender.
They sent me a f****ing patch instead of the cleaning kit!
View Quote

But see this is just accessory problems getting lost or stolen out of the box before you purchased it.... Any problems with the Colt firearms themselves? Of course not.

Quoted:
Rocko, I shoot the Winchester Value Pack ammo as well and it works well in my RRA. I also shoot [red]Winchester 147gr Hydra Shocks[/red] without any problems. I agree that a carbine shouldn't be that picky about what ammo it eats....

C4
View Quote

Winchester also makes 147gr Hydra-Shoks? Hmmm... NOT!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#28]
My Colts love the Federal 147gr HydraShoks - they sound cool when they fire too!!!
booooooooooooooop!

They used to be cheap, now they are expensive!!!
ie: $3.85/20rd vs $11/20rd before they became politically incorrect, and Walmart dumped them...now Walmart sells them again (124gr though).
Nickel plated brass is smooth looking too!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

After ILL got it back from RRA, it still had problems, even with the mags from RRA that they said were working at the factory. He even tried various ammo and it still had many problems. He also had a very reputable gun smith look at it.

2 of the 25-rd RRA UZI-converted mags, of the 4 RRA sold him stating they would work, functioned flawlessly in my Colt (even when bump firing), but didn't function at all in his RRA. Hell-- the RRA wouldn't even work with factory Colt mags.

The other two RRA mags consistently jammed on the 2nd to last round in my Colt, but didn't jam at all on the first 23 rounds. (Mag springs were probably flipped or not strong enough?) I now own those two good mags [:D] since they worked in my Colt.
View Quote

Here is the post from the horses mouth:

[url]http://www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=002124;p=9[/url]

ilikelegs

Member # 938

Member Rated:
  posted 12-10-2002 05:13 PM                    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got my rifle back from RRA last Friday.
Took it out to test it and its working great now.
I had to buy their mags to get it to work.
They said the CDNN mags were the problem.
For my troubles they also sent me the tactical
carrying handle for my flat top. Mine didn't come with one.

How many of you guys are using the CDNN mags ?

I will take those mags out again and test it one more time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Here is the post from the horses mouth:

[url]http://www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=002124;p=9[/url]

ilikelegs

Member # 938

Member Rated:
  posted 12-10-2002 05:13 PM                    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got my rifle back from RRA last Friday.
Took it out to test it and its working great now.
I had to buy their mags to get it to work.
They said the CDNN mags were the problem.
For my troubles they also sent me the tactical
carrying handle for my flat top. Mine didn't come with one.

How many of you guys are using the CDNN mags ?

[red]I will take those mags out again and test it one more time.[/red]
View Quote

That post is 7 months old! One short visit to the range isn't a valid test-- you should know that.

Notice he was going to test it ONE MORE TIME. Since then, its had problems and has even been looked at by a reputable gunsmith. I've witnessed these problems many times, which is why over Memorial day weekend, I bought the 2 25-rd RRA mags since they worked in my Colt and not in the RRA.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I have seen ILL's RRA in action (wouldn't really call it "action" btw).  It is pathetic.
Originally I thought RRA would have fixed and then replaced it, but I guess it is not going to happen.
We will have to wait for ILL to get on this thread.  I think he is on vacation until next week.
[b]And if ILL wants to talk about it on a new thread, it is his prerogative.  I am dropping this issue right now.[/b] [:)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That post is old, and one visit to the range isn't a valid test. Notice he was going to test it ONE MORE TIME. Since then, its had problems. I've seen it in action many times.
View Quote

If that is the case he should send it back to RRA. I've had to do that with several guns in my life. Bottom line if it still fails, even with their mags, something is wrong. They need to replace the block, bolt or whatever is causing the failures.

However, my RRA was 100% from the start with any ammmo and mags. Nobody else reported problems and I test fired (as a result of ILL guns) every RRA 9mm I've ever sold after his (total of 9) and they were 100%.

1 out of approx. 25 is hardly enough to declare a manufacturer a POS.

I don't know what is wrong with his, but I do know I'd make RRA fix it if I were him.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Well we might as well agree that that you guys think Colt is the bomb and I think RRA/BM is the bomb and leave it at that. I am glad that you have have had good results from Colt's customer service, I have not. I also appreciate you correcting my mistake in saying that Winchester makes Hydra's. I would hate for anyone to go to their favorite gun store and look for Winchester Hydra's. I have owned or own Colt, BM and RRA and personally think you are just paying for the Colt name. The Armed Forces shooting teams use RRA and PRI uses them for test and evaluation of their products. PRI's most interesting comment to me was that they wished they could use RRA AR's for their contract with the DOD....

C4
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Steyr, I agree.  I am sure he could do that, but it does get to be a PITA with all the shipping and all.....but that is his issue, and I do not want this to be a hijacked RRA bashing thread. (my bad, sorry)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Actually I said I like Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have owned or own Colt, BM and RRA and personally think you are just paying for the Colt name. The Armed Forces shooting teams use RRA and PRI uses them for test and evaluation of their products. PRI's most interesting comment to me was that they wished they could use RRA AR's for their contract with the DOD....

C4
View Quote

Thing is: we are talking about the 9mm AR, not your traditional mil-spec AR-15 Colt or clone. RRA recently came out with their 9mm Colt copies, so I doubt the armed forces shooting teams used the 9mm RRAs instead of Colts. I doubt they even use 9mm. I'll also bet they use other ARs too, like Colt, Bushmaster, FN, etc.

SgtKiwi:
check out this link for more information on mag block issues with RRA. ILL is not the only person to have this problem with a RRA. My guess: the block eventually moves on ya...

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=161647[/url]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#37]
bunnyman, you are correct I was talking about RRA AR15's in general (not just the 9mm system's). I know for a fact that the Navy and AF use RRA DCM's and they could shoot anything they want. PRI could use ANY AR15 they wanted, but choose RRA. Doesn't that say anything to you??? Do you own a RRA product? If the answer is NO then don't comment on their products not being good as a Colt or any other AR....

C4
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Have you tried firing the gun without the mag in place, or without the block in place? This might point out the problem or eliminate the mag or block as a problem.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
bunnyman, you are correct I was talking about RRA AR15's in general (not just the 9mm system's). I know for a fact that the Navy and AF use RRA DCM's and they could shoot anything they want. PRI could use ANY AR15 they wanted, but choose RRA. Doesn't that say anything to you??? Do you own a RRA product? If the answer is NO then don't comment on their products not being good as a Colt or any other AR....

C4
View Quote

Again, you still keep confusing the issue. You had it right in yor first sentence, "[[b]I[/b]] am correct", but you keep talking about RRA in general.

You still keep going back to saying that the armed forces chose RRA, blah blah blah... It makes no difference. We are talking about [size=6][b]9mm[/b][/size=6] ARs, not mil-spec ARs (which are chambered in 5.56mm, NOT 9mm). [b]There's a HUGE difference, and you know it, so quit grouping the two together.[/b]

Nobody is arguing which mil-spec brands are better, only you are...

What I am saying: My Colt 9mm AR does not encounter these severe feeding and extraction problems. It could be the difference in the mag block-- Colts are pinned in. Maybe that's all it will take to fix some of the RRAs that are having problems?

If you want to talk about .223 (5.56mm), I have looked into getting a 5.56mm RRA-- I have friends with those, and they are very nice and inexpensive. The LEGP M4 is very nice as well. I have also seen some kick-ass high-quality kits built on RRA lowers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
On the subject of ILL's RRA 9mm, I saw him shoot it at the Hun farm in April.  It was running pretty well for him, but IIRC, he had a couple of jams.
View Quote

I saw it over Memorial day weekend at the farm. I had my Colt. His RRA would not feed my mags. He could only get 1 40-rd mag to work some-what reliably. I ended up buying two of his RRA 25-rd UZI-converted mags cus they would not work with his, but ran smoothly in mine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
leave it tp you guys turn turn a call for help into a COLT vs RRA piss fest. ANyone got any constructive help for the sarge?

mike
View Quote

I already suggested that he either send it back for repair or get a refund.  BUT - RRA will probably try to convince him that the mags are the problem.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#44]
My mistake Energizer and SA, I got the impression you were saying RRA 9mm systems are a POS. I apologize for the confusion...

The Beer Slayer, I apologize for adding to the RRA/Colt debate. I did try and assist him with his problems, but took offense to folks saying that RRA 9mm systems are a POS when its just not true...

C4
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My mistake Energizer and SA, I got the impression you were saying RRA 9mm systems are a POS. I apologize for the confusion...

The Beer Slayer, I apologize for adding to the RRA/Colt debate. I did try and assist him with his problems, but took offense to folks saying that RRA 9mm systems are a POS when its just not true...

C4
View Quote

I don't think I ever said RRA 9mm systems are a POS. I also, offered suggestions and provided a link to another discussion with a similar problem.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#46]
btt for update on page 1
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#47]
SgtKIWI, I am glad to hear you got things worked out. I seem to remember saying that it might be your mag causing the problem and someone (SBR7_11) basically said I was an IDIOT. I guess it doesn't look that way any more...[spank]

C4
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#48]
So how much $$$ did the Colt 32rd mag set you back?
I like the fact that the bolt stays open when empty.
I cannot believe that 18 mags did not work.  The gun should not be that picky.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Day two.... Tried a factory colt 32 round mag.  Holds bolt open fine after last shot and ate approximately 300 rounds without a malfunction.  Thanks for the help guys.  BTW anyone interested in a trade for 18 modified uzi mags? [:D]
View Quote

Can't be true. I have it on reliable authority that RRA = POS and it's NEVER the mags.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#50]
For once I will agree with SA on this issue. The gun shouldn't be that picky about mags....

C4
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top