Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 12:26:13 PM EDT
I came across this on another site. Doesn't look too tough and durable. Hell it looks like it sustained more damage than the pick-up did.

[img]www.mountainboardreview.com/images/h2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
[LOL]  why you dissin' my bling-bling stationwagon!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
that pic has been here, we've done this

first off, the H2 is a lavish off roader built on a 3/4 ton truck chassis

the truck it hit is a dodge dually one ton, more than likely  with the heavy ass cummins diesel up front, so first off, the dodge outweighs it by a little.  second off, that dodge looks like a goner as well, both have obviously bent frames, so neither came out of this one rosy.  third, the dodge has a lot longer nose than an H2, so i would be willing to be that both gave about the same.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm no fan of the H2, but hitting a 1 ton Dually isn't like hitting an Xterra...

Also, I bet the Dodge was moving much faster, which gave more it more inertia, which made it seem like it scored a straight on hit.  Whereas the H2 was hit 20/30 degrees on, and rotated on impact causing much more apparent damage.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
that pic has been here, we've done this

first off, the H2 is a lavish off roader built on a 3/4 ton truck chassis

the truck it hit is a dodge dually one ton, more than likely  with the heavy ass cummins diesel up front, so first off, the dodge outweighs it by a little.  second off, that dodge looks like a goner as well, both have obviously bent frames, so neither came out of this one rosy.  third, the dodge has a lot longer nose than an H2, so i would be willing to be that both gave about the same.
View Quote

Yea, yea, yea.....but looking at this crash, which one would you have wanted to be in ??
Thought so [;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rojasray/web06080308a.jpg[/img]

[b]"Why, there should be more signs on that road telling people to slow down! I think I may introduce some new legislation blah blah blah..."[/b]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
looks to me that this picture has been photo shopped
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The H2 was only built for looks.  Off-road?  Absolutely NO design for that other than what is inherint in its parent chassis.  Look at the damage sustained in that crash.  Its PLASTIC!!!!

For REAL off roading, the H1 is purpose built.  So is the Unimog (imported by Freightliner).

The rest factory fare are road vehicles that can take a little off-road.

Now some Jeeps, suitably modified, can function on the same level as the H1/Unimog but they lose their on-road abilities.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I think there's less damage there than there appears to be. Looks like stuff up front just got bent out of shape.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
KiethJ, you amaze me, a stock jeep would blow the doors off any Humjob out there. End of story, they just won't carry as many people or equipment.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
How do we know that that H2 didn't just get in a head on with a (not pictured) Semi, and bounced off the Dodge?

I drove an H2.  I wouldn't buy one, but it was fun to drive around the muddy and snowy field.  The one I drove had a Supercharger in it, and had about 500 BHP, so that might have had something to do with the fun factor.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
How do we know that that H2 didn't just get in a head on with a (not pictured) Semi, and bounced off the Dodge?
View Quote

Good point. The Dodge could have rear-ended teh H@, but there doesn't look like much rear end damage from what the pic shows. Then again, the front ends kinda match for a head-on. Who knows?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
KiethJ, you amaze me, a stock jeep would blow the doors off any Humjob out there. End of story, they just won't carry as many people or equipment.
View Quote

The H1 has considerable off-road ability for its size and in stock form, is superior to a stock Wrangler in ground clearance,approach and departure angles.  The H1 carries the same body count as the Wrangler with a bit more room and a lot more cargo room.  The advantage of the H1 is its 4 wheel independent suspension coupled with planetary hubs.  This maximizes ground clearance while maintaining an acceptable ride height for lower CG and greater stability.

Now the H2?  Pure image.  No substance.  All show.  Sheeple magnet.  Bimbo ride.  Needle d!ck vehicle.  Poseur extreme.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The H1 has considerable off-road ability for its size and in stock form, is superior to a stock Wrangler in ground clearance,approach and departure angles.  The H1 carries the same body count as the Wrangler with a bit more room and a lot more cargo room.  The advantage of the H1 is its 4 wheel independent suspension coupled with planetary hubs.  This maximizes ground clearance while maintaining an acceptable ride height for lower CG and greater stability.

Now the H2?  Pure image.  No substance.  All show.  Sheeple magnet.  Bimbo ride.  Needle d!ck vehicle.  Poseur extreme.
View Quote
ok -- we be on the same page.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Not trying to hijack this thread, but could somebody answer something for me ?

I like the H1 and technically could afford one (although I'd probably never buy one).

The think I don't understand, is why is it that my 6'4" 240lb frame can fit it a $#@! Subraru better than it can an H1 ??

The H1 has two extremely (!) cramped seats in the front with tons of wasted space all around. I understand that the hump in the middle is covering a great deal of the engine, but something just doesn't seem to add up for a vehicle of this size. My old Explorer has MUCH more room on the inside.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#16]
[img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/20290/p/324498_4302217527561636559_vl.jpg[/img]

lets remember the H2 is basically a 3/4 ton chevy chassis, much like my old truck, pictured here.  which by the way, hit this drunk bastard from the side, not the rear, after he pulled out in front of me.  mines still on the road, albeit another owner now (170,000 miles)  the 4 door honda accord ex im not so sure about.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
A [b]GREAT[/b] H2 Mud pic.......

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/pb2e6b045fe8f1b75f1449db5784cbdc4/fbf45e6d.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is one , looks like it got stuck in a mud puddle. You can see the front tires are not buried. [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/141064/Stuck5.jpg[/img] hell it looks like a bad road.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#20]
looks like it did alright, front is supposed to crumple, especially against going up against a truck like that
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#22]
i always liked that one guys sig line:

Your Car IS My Crumple Zone.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]
That H2 took a head-on crash and you deride it for not coming out smelling like a rose?

Well, my friend got into a drunken fistfight downtown a few months ago.  After he broke the arm of the guy who attacked him, he jumped up on the hood of the attacker's H2.  He didn't even dent it.

So, in closing:

H2, resistant against drunks who think your hood is a trampoline, not so hot against head-on collisions at 40mph.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#24]
No problem.  Little bondo, some spray paint, maybe $25.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The H2 was only built for looks.  Off-road?  Absolutely NO design for that other than what is inherint in its parent chassis.  Look at the damage sustained in that crash.  Its PLASTIC!!!!

For REAL off roading, the H1 is purpose built.  So is the Unimog (imported by Freightliner).

The rest factory fare are road vehicles that can take a little off-road.

Now some Jeeps, suitably modified, can function on the same level as the H1/Unimog but they lose their on-road abilities.
View Quote

I don't know where you off road, but on the mining roads around here, the H1 can't compete with a Jeep.

The serious offroad vehicles that I've seen are either Jeeps or Toyotas. H1s and Landrovers belong to rich people who like to think they may someday drive offroad. Mogs might be a different story, I haven't seen enough to tell.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#26]
That Land Rover & H1s for rich people line shows how little you know.  A used LR Discovery, hell used H1's are not exactly expensive by any means.  Oh, and I'd put either one - stock - up against a stock Wrangler or Land Cruiser offroad.

Modded you can get a freaking Subaru Outback through the Himalayas, so let's not start throwing out mods...

Stock - Wrangler, Discovery, Land Cruiser, H1 are all VERY capable offroad machines.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

The H1 has great ground clearance, but the 4 wheel independent suspension results in poor suspension articulation -- a serious drawback in rocky or uneven terrain. It sorta makes up for this by using electronic "locking" diffs front and back--but real locking diffs and a flexible suspension would be better.

The H1's width is yet another problem. Trails out here aren't called "Jeep trails" for nothing. Most trails in the American West are based upon the width of a Jeep, model T, or wagon.

Edited to add: here in San Diego county, we have a road which has a place called "Jeep Squeeze". A Cherokee can fit, just barely. anything wider doesn't make it without sheet metal damage.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Well my 3/4 ton Chevy 4wd used to have the "atomic bumpers"  Ruined a Mitsubishi in a scam sandwich, shortened it a foot and a half.  A BMW got us on the rear quarter and scratched it.  The BMW was totaled and the Mercedes that backed into me in the parking lot got $500+ damage.  

The bumper needed replacing after I was the lead unit in a multi-vehicle elephant train bump  40 mph wild stop.  A little car cut off the Suburban in front of me.  He stopped barely, I stopped a foot behind him, the kid behind me in a GMC 3/4 p/u slid into me.  The the Tahoe behind him stopped and then got shoved into him by a car that then split.  One or two bumpers all around was all the damage, I'ld hate to think what would have happened to a little rice burner if it ended up in the middle.

TexasEd you might fit in a Subaru better than you think.  I'm 6'3" and after my Scout got stolen, I got one of the Subie  4x wagons.  One of the few vehicles I fit comfortably in.  Took it almost anyplace my Scout went and a few places the Scout couldn't because it would squeeze through.  Of course my Scout never seemed to be twisting itself up the way the Subie did a few times.

Lot of vehicles  the H2 included have a lot of plastic in them in non-structural applications.    Saves a lot of weight and manufacturing costs over sheet metal
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is a common misconception here. This deals with impulse and change in momentum . You do not want a car that is very rigid and strong. You want something that crumples well in the case of an accident. You do not want to [B]accelerate[/B] from 60 mph to 0 mph in fractions of a second, because your aorta would be severed ...
View Quote

Isn't that [b]de[/b]celeration?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That Land Rover & H1s for rich people line shows how little you know.  A used LR Discovery, hell used H1's are not exactly expensive by any means.  Oh, and I'd put either one - stock - up against a stock Wrangler or Land Cruiser offroad.
View Quote

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by expensive--the used ones I've seen in the auto trader were too rich for my blood--and that isn't taking into account the added costs of parts, etc.

You don't see very many LRs on the trails around here. The ones you do see tend to be having trouble. Not so much due to the vehicle as due to the people inside the vehicle, I think, but nontheless . . .

Not to long ago, an H1 club wanted to widen the Rubicon so they could fit their fat vehicles on it. Jees.

Quoted:
Modded you can get a freaking Subaru Outback through the Himalayas, so let's not start throwing out mods...
View Quote

Not unless you loose the basic design of the Subbaru -- like its IFS suspension.

Jeeps and Toys are pretty much the offroad vehicles of choice in the American West. Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ, Cherokee, Toyota PUs (with solid front axles), and Toyota FJ-40s (although you don't see many of those these days).

The H1 is really just too big to be a good trail vehical. For moderate offroading it might be OK. For other areas where you are not dealing with rocks and narrow trails, it might do fine. Outhere, it's too big.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Rain flooded a construction area in an intersection...water was fairly deep and traffic was backed up...rich dickhead in an H2 goes around every one and plows into the water....drowns out...hehehe  I punked him when I pushed a huge wall of water into him with my 93FORD 2W.D.when I went around him!!! hahahahahahahahahahaha [banana][party]..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top