Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 9:15:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, magazine availability and cost is always an issue for anything that takes detachable magazines unless you are buying the firearm solely for its value as a collectable.

I now REGRET not buying a semiauto 1927 Thompson when I could have.  One of my excuses was that the 50-round drum mags cost too much.  What a dumbass I was!

Sunset of the AWB will fix that in many cases.  I believe the M1A/M14 and AR-10 will look a lot more economical six months or so after the ban dies.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
When I got my tax return, I had the option of getting either an M1A, or a 1911 /w LOTS of mags, and the ability to finish getting a list of gear I had on a wish list.

I chose the latter, due to the fact I could only get a handful (3) M1A mags on top of the gun itself.

Too bad really, I want an M1A like nobody's business.

-UHLEK-
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Mag cost holds me off of a M1-A or AR10
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Roger that...  I have been fondling an AR-10B for almost a year.  Mag costs have kept me from taking the plunge.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
what do you call expensive? over $50 for a mag?

There are tons of hi cap 92 mags out there.  Try looking for the taiwan military ones,  relatively inexpensive and they work.

Personally, I never understood the 10 round ban myself.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Personally, I never understood the 10 round ban myself.  
View Quote

Thats the thing, [b]Nobody does![/b]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Roger that...  I have been fondling an AR-10B for almost a year.  Mag costs have kept me from taking the plunge.
View Quote

Ditto... but I want my toaster! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah. Im not going to buy a G20 until after the ban expires.  $150 is too much for a single mag.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, magazine availability and cost is always an issue for anything that takes detachable magazines unless you are buying the firearm solely for its value as a collectable.

I now REGRET not buying a semiauto 1927 Thompson when I could have.  One of my excuses was that the 50-round drum mags cost too much.  What a dumbass I was!

[red]Sunset of the AWB will fix that in many cases.  I believe the M1A/M14 and AR-10 will look a lot more economical six months or so after the ban dies.[/red]
View Quote

The thing is, it wont make the mags THAT much more economical. The ban showed that the market can bear mag prices in excess of 30 bucks.  The only thing will change is availibility.  Until lotsa pre post ban...er..post post ban (what ever the hell they will be called), the prices wont drop that much.  In the short term (read: less than 1-1.5 years) prices wont drop that much.

On Edit:

I am saving my $$! When the ban dies, I am going out and having a weapon/mag benge! I will buy a couple of rifles I have been wanting (get them with ALL the evil features) buy boatloads of mags for them and max out my mags for my sidearm.  Guys at my gun shop are gonna grin ear to ear when I leave that day
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

ME TOO [:(]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, the AR-10, although my dealer had mags for it now that he sells for $50.

I have also made the same choices with ammo, I unloaded a couple of guns I thought ammo would become a problem with. But my decision was wrong, and now I regret selling the guns.

I think magazine prices will go down, especially AR, Ruger 10-22 and the popular high cap pistol mags. Hopefully Mec-Gar will sell great copies at a decent price.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Glock mag prices are insane , I am thinking about a Kel-Tec Sub2000 and would really like to get one to take Glock mags , but will probably wind up getting the Beretta compatable model...

One gun I always wanted for some reason is a Walther P-88 , I once found a used one for $750 which was a great price , but , passed due to the $100 mags....

t
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I got rid of my mini 14 because of mag issues.
Ruger factory mags were too expensive, and aftermarket mags just plain suck ass! Instead, I bought a Bushmaster AR and now i'm the happiest camper around!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, and it pisses me off too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Yup...I wan't an M1A but the "real" mags cost about $50/mag.  Since I won't own a rifle without LOTS of mags (A man MUST have his mags after all!), I refuse to spend that much for the rifle then pile AT LEAST another $1000 for mags!

Same thing for the HK.  When the damn AWB goes away, this shit should end and THEN...watch the fireworks!  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I, too, have shyed away from the M1A because of magazine cost. Similarly, I have purchased a number of fireamrs just because magazines are available and inexpensive: AR, FAL, AK, Makarov, 92FS, Enfield, etc. One pistol I own, HK USP45C, has magazines that are readily available, but not real cheap, either. The cheapest I've been able to find with the finger rest floorplate is about $38.

You want a real head-scratcher? Try finding high capacity magazines for the lowly AR-7!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#20]
When i bought my AR it had a .40cal upper and one 20rd mag. at the time i didn't care about the cost of the mags because i had planed on getting a 5.56upper right away-it was cheaper to buy it the way i did because i wanted a pistol cal and rifle cal upper. and this one was used and unfired. Now i'm kinda kickin myself in the ass cuz mags cost $65-$75 a piece. So i still only have the one mag for the 40cal. but i also only shoot the thing like once a month or less. But now i want to get more mags and everytime i try i look at the price and say damn thats two 16rd mags for my baby D-eagle or two mags USGI 30rd mags.  HEll the last time i bought a mag for my beretta the damn thing cost me $59 for a 15rd mag thats BS to me but thats what happens when you gotta pay collector prices basicly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I considered a M1A but price of the GUN not the mags kept me away. 10 or 20 rounds, I don't care. I was going to buy it before it was banned, that's all. Not for SHTF. Same with my AR 10 or 30, no big deal. I bought it to tick off the antis. Then I bought a few 30 rounders to tick off the antis further.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you passed on guns because of mag cost/availability?
View Quote

Not really most of the stuff i have and lust for,is a bit on the exotic side anyway.
So expensive mags come with the territory.

Like somebody said, "ya got to pay to play".
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here...well...not exactly.
What it really did was help me to choose the DSA SA58 over the other two.  It was a tossup between the 3 and the mag cost helped me pick the DSA.  No regrets here.  I've got FAL mags coming out of my ears now for chrissake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I want to get a Sig 551 or 552 but the mags are the issue with this weapon. Also the STG44 but finding the mags are a problem there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Absolutely.  M1A, AR10, any pistols I don't already have mags for...  Those Garands sure look nice these days!

BTW, you're dreaming if you think the AWB is just going to sunset.  The antis are already gearing up.  They care more about this than most gun owners do:

Federal lawmakers won't be considering reauthorization of the assault-weapons ban until sometime after the 108th Congress begins its work next year, but [red]national gun-violence-prevention groups have already begun a strikingly unified push for a more stringent ban.[/red]
View Quote

[url]http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/features/reader/0,2061,555387,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I have wanted a EAA whitness 10mm for years. They started importing them after 1994 so there are zero regular mags for it in the US.  only 10 rd mags are presently available.  I will not buy one untill i can get full size mags for it.  

Ben, The Emu
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I almost bought a H&K Soccom.  But If I couldn’t get the Full Capacity magazines, I wasn’t going to buy the pistol.

So maybe in two years I’ll reconsider.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#31]
What's the legality of importing mag's nowadays?
I go overseas a few times a year, and can easily obtain just about any kinds of mag's I want there (cheap, too).
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Heck Yes...This is why I own AR-15's.

Let's face it, While there are pro's and cons to the AR15, There's just no substitute for owning a copy of your countries service rifle.

The availibilty of magazines and aftermarket parts for the AR family is as large as the parts availbility of every other assault rifle combined.

I know this will upset the Germanaphiles in here, but HK can hug a nut. There are guys on this site that make AR's that scream and will more than bury the kraut guns. Further more you can build increadibly horrific Custom AR's for what you can buy some of the German rifles in the box with maybe a sling and cleaning kit.

Now I will admit that there are a lot of nice cheap mags and goodies floating aroung for the FN's and AK's and I would not mind building a mostly DSA FN for my next black rifle project. Why an FN, you ask. Well lets see...I can build the stock configuration I want on the FN for about $70.00...I could get the stock configuration I want on a HK for oh, lets see...about $450.00 to $550...Take a look at what factory HK claw scope mounts run nowadays....YIKE!!!

So in answer to your question...Yes Virgina...Mag and part availibilty does make a difference, unless your Bill Gates.

But for us poor working class slobs, we just have to get by as best we can.

This is the part were Tiny Tim Stands up on the Table and Says "Thank you Bushmaster, Rock River and Armalite, God bless you all."
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Yup HK 93, the mags are 50 dollars
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top