Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2003 8:30:27 PM EDT
Well, I was watching the tube this afternoon and saw a preview for a new zombie flick called "28 Days Later", and that got me thinking.  What if that kind of thing really happened?  What kinds of guns should I have should the shtf and some zombies are out to get me?  Hope this hasn't been done before.   If it has, oh well, have fun with this post and feel free to post pics of your zombie killers.  Personally, I would think a scattergun and a katana would be perfect for close range work, an M249 SAW or an M60 for midrange and mobs and a .50 bmg for those long shots.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://asuaf.org/~fsgpe/images/quietspud.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.secretarmies.com/images/day_flame.jpg[/img]

i like my zombies well done
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=13597[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
All the movies that I've seen with zombies, they don't care much about getting hit with small bullets.  LARGE caliber bullets are the way to go.  You have to remove body parts that are vital for movement.  A nice 12GA slug to the skull fixes most problems.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember: to kill a zombie you must shoot it in the head(destroying the brain).  I think a street sweeper loaded with 00 buck for close combat would be appropriate.  I would only take the .50 if I had a team with me.  It is too big to be a primary weapon if your...all...alone...at night....in a town full of zombies....
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask Imbroglio.  He's the zombie killin' expert around here.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
A well placed pellet gun shot will do it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Any veteran zombie hunter knows zombies aren't very fast, agile or smart, and are extremly delicate due to rigurmotis and decay. There for, give me a Benelli M4,plenty of ammo, some explosives and a katana and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
A GAU-8 Avenger 30mm Vulcan cannon, firing HE shells,  will put any zombie out of your misery.

The supernatural is no match for the super powerful.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Mauser Mk2 30mm machine cannon
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The only way to kill a Romero zombie is to destroy the brain. Rifles and shotguns should be used only if no other weapons are available as loud noises attracts zombies and when encountered in large groups they are the most dangerous. A suppressed carbine like a 10/22, MP5SD, or CAR 9mm would be the weapon of choice due to these factors: low sound signature, ability to carry large amounts of ammo, low recoil.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Using a gun to try to kill a zombie is like pissing in the wind, Bucko!

Here's what you need to deal with the threat.
http://www.fvza.org/tools.html
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://www.fast-rewind.com/predator2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.project-x.org.uk/images/mini02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#15]
lmfao!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only way to kill a Romero zombie is to destroy the brain. Rifles and shotguns should be used only if no other weapons are available as loud noises attracts zombies and when encountered in large groups they are the most dangerous. A suppressed carbine like a 10/22, MP5SD, or CAR 9mm would be the weapon of choice due to these factors: low sound signature, ability to carry large amounts of ammo, low recoil.
View Quote

Imbroglio, Zombie hunter!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#17]
About damn time they made a horror flick called "28 Days Later".  I have to deal with a walking nightmare about every 28 days myself, and I'd prefer to face the living dead.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Some of you are way off here.  You can't just go burning them or splattering them all over the place without knowing what kind of pathogen, chemical, weapons grade virus or whatever else you're spreading.

Be realistic about this.  Zombies are no laughing matter.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some of you are way off here.  You can't just go burning them or splattering them all over the place without knowing what kind of pathogen, chemical, weapons grade virus or whatever else you're spreading.

Be realistic about this.  Zombies are no laughing matter.
View Quote

[img]http://www.rjsafety.com/images/jpg/RsCSM.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#20]
One of those man portable railguns they used in Eraser
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#22]
 Damn!!  I thought I was the only guy who was worried about zombies!!!

I like the MK19 and the Ma Duece myself.  But if they get too close my ol' SP1 with the 1 in 1400ft light twist will do.  When that light bullet flips is just pops their head off like a bunny.

man...zombies...the only thing I hate worse than monkeys.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Cripes, have you guys not seen 28 day later yet, you cant use a katana, you get some of that infect Zombie blood on you, thats it, you're outta there!

Flamethrowers are definitely the way to go.

Or auto shotguns, HK CAWs anyone? Perhaps you can lay your hands on one of those pancor jackhammer prototypes...

Just dont let the buggers bite you or get any fluids on you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:03:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cripes, have you guys not seen 28 day later yet, you cant use a katana, you get some of that infect Zombie blood on you, thats it, you're outta there!

Just dont let the buggers bite you or get any fluids on you.
View Quote

Sounds like the zombies from Resident Evil.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Much of the weaponry choice would depend on your area of operations.  IMHO, it is not your weapons that would require a mandatory change, but your ammo needs.

I would definitely stick with either an AR carbine or SAR2, because of light ammo weight and easy availability of 30-rd mags.  The AR would have the advantage for the longer head shots (200-300 yards), but with a good SAR2 you have damn near the reliability of a bolt gun.

I think in this situation if I had the choice between an AR or a tweaked Sar2 I would take the Sar because of the reliability factor.  This is the only if I were sticking at home and were dealing with known distances not exceeding 300 yards.  I would use all FMJ ammo as well.

AZ-AR, in your situation 300 yards sounds like a close shot.  Here, I'd be LUCKY to see a zombie that far away.  Although..........if I cut a few trees down.........that's just about the distance to the cemetary........WTF is that shambling around up there??????  I'll be back. Is that Uncle Reg?!?!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Michael Jackson's "Thriller"

Make em dance.[banana]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#27]
 Outside 200 yards ( Day of the Dead mob situation at the beginning of the film ) definitely a scoped NM M1A ( Fulton Armory...I am taking NO chances )

Inside 200 yards:  My Colt SP1A1 with a Colt Scope.

Inside 50 yards:  my M96 with a Beta Mag ( or 6 )

Inside 25 feet: my Coltfield Armory 45

Arms reach: two frags taped to my LBE...I am definitely taking some of them with me.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#28]
From my vast knowledge of killing zombies [smoke].....a nice well-rounded aresenal would include , but not be limited to the following..

1. Hi-cap 9mm or .44 Magnum
2. Tactical 12 guage shotgun
3. Full-auto M-4 (or equivalant)
and last but certainly not least ,

4. 40mm grenade launcher

that aughta do it....

t
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#29]
If a zombie vaccine were perfected, like the scientists were talking about in the great film Dawn of the Dead, zombie hunting would be the best profession on earth.  Even without it it didn't seem that bad.  The SWAT dudes were running around shoving and punching zombies left and right while running through the mall.  Headshots always dropped em.  Multiple shots to the torso also seemed to drop em.  If this happened, I can tell you me and my buddies would find a couple of trucks and turn them into technicals/guntrucks.  1 Crew served weapon manned by 2, the about 3 others shooting off the side (I'll take my Bushmaster).  When it's time to get out of Dodge, run the rotting bastards over.  Of course this is all fantasy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#30]
under four assumptions:

1. you can kill the zombies. i.e. they're not 'return of the living dead' zombies.

2. to kill them, the brain must suffer heavy trauma.

3. the zombies are only infectious w/ open wounds or biting

4. ammo is low and zombie #'s are high

i think some sort of pike w/ hammer would be an ideal 'disposal' tool when you're faced w/ a small group in close.  and it doesn't use up ammo.

for range - i'd go with a bolt action w/scope, in a common hunting cal. like 30-06.

up close, in the shit, a hi cap 9mm would be prefered as that ammo, mags and firearm are all common, easy to find, and easy to repair.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40MW range
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm suprised that no one has posted this yet!  All your ammo questions can be solved on the Ammo Oracle!

[url]http://www.ammo-oracle.com/#zombies[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I think there are some excellent suggestions here.

My main comment is that the tactics/weapons for effective zombie killing MUST vary with the situation.

Points to consider:

-are you alone or in a group?
-how many zombies are an immediate threat and how many are a potential threat?
-what is the killing zone like?

If we are talking Romero zombies that only infect when biting BUT they flock to loud noise, I am actually thinking of hunting teams with pole arms (shotgun backup).

The first team member would use a boar spear or similar to properly position the zombie while his partner would use a bladed pole arm to remove the zombie's head. A possible third member might stand by with a suppressed .22 and shotgun in the event of the unforseen emergency.

All three would have machetees for last ditch defense along with grenades for suicide.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm suprised that no one has posted this yet!  All your ammo questions can be solved on the Ammo Oracle!
View Quote

(Morpheus voice)Don't forget. What the Oracle tells you is for you and you alone. (/Morpheus voice)
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.secretarmies.com/images/day_flame.jpg[/url]

i like my zombies well done
View Quote

I think we have a winner!  Nothing solves your zombie infestation problems like a "zippo".  Unless, of course, these are Return Of The Living Dead type zombies because the burning zombie smoke might mix with rain clouds & spread zombie cooties even more.  But if you're up against ROTLD fast moving type zombies you are probably screwed anyways because headshots don't kill them (if I recall correctly).

Night Of The Living Dead type slow movers that can be killed by fire or head trauma I'd want something along the lines of a 9mm upper AR15 & a shitload of loaded mags (Sten or Uzi, depending on the upper).  Probably suppressed as to not attract attention from other zombies.  9x19 would be much easier to find while escaping/evading the zombie hordes.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#36]
You guys are weird.

But I'm even weirder.

I will use what I have.  My 30-06 Weatherby for long range, AR15 Bushy/Colt for medium range, and my G22 for close.  My Mossy 500 12 gauge when I want to make a mess.  (no suppressors, I want these puss bags coming for me)

Now, when I really want to have fun, I will go to the sword store (there is one on Fairfax St in Rochester, NY). Borrow, if the store has been vacated because of the zombie infestation, or purchase a fullsize, battle ready Claymore.  With this weapon, I will take of all my clothes, paint myself blue, get drunk on Yeagermeister and Sam Adams (or Southern Comfort and Molsen's Gold), and go to town on these smelly assed, puss encrusted, urine soaked, feces dropping, snot blowing, thick drool lapping, retarded maggot mouthed, fly covered, staggering, gimpy, pink eyed, worsteshire sauce sucking, bite dick, grave robbers that eat the genitalia of their dead grand parents, vomit spewing abomination pukes.

It's hack and slash time!

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#37]
okey-dokey ....

blister , not surprised to hear you live in Rochester ....

'splains a lot

t
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#38]
You guys make me laugh.  It's like

"HOLD ON MR. ZOMBIE, YOU'RE 300 YARDS AWAY, I'M GONNA GO INSIDE AND GET MY LONG GUN."

or

"EASY NOW BIG FELLA, YOU'RE AT THE END OF MY DRIVEWAY LET ME GO DOWNSTAIRS TO THE SAFE AND GET MY CLOSE RANGE GUN."

or

"CALM THE HELL DOWN DEAD GUY, WATCH THE SHIRT, IT'S DRY CLEAN ONLY, LET ME GO UPSTAIRS AND GET MY NUNCHUCKS SO I CAN BRAIN YOU PROPER."

One gun for zombies...only one.

That gun is ... Mossberg 590A1.  The professional's choice for relocating craniums.

Knockin' zombies down at long range wouldn't be in the least way entertaining.  Well, it would, but you know what I mean. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#39]
A Helicopter,hammer and a screwdriver worked pretty good in the documentary "Dawn Of The Dead"
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe a big battle hammer/meat tenderizer, Zombies might taste like chicken!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I just had an idea from the movie "Dead Alive".  A lawn mower.  Not one of the riding ones, but a push mower.  Just lift that puppy up and let those zombies feel the wrath of that spinning blade underneath!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#42]
5 minutes ago my wife did that with my lawnmower and a tree stump.

Tree stump won and now I need another blade...grrrrr

Oh well, my own fault.  I shouldn't have showed her how to use the damn thing.

Anyway, back to zombies...

KILL EM ALL![chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#43]

One gun for zombies...only one.
View Quote

you're talking to a bunch of gun nuts about only using one weapon?

where's the drama? where's the suspense as it dawns on you that you're out of rifle mags and have to draw your sidearm?

these moments are the meat, the very essence that any good zombie encounter is made of.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Any veteran zombie hunter knows zombies aren't very fast, agile or smart, and are extremly delicate due to rigurmotis and decay. There for, give me a Benelli M4,plenty of ammo, some explosives and a katana and I'm good to go.
View Quote

I'd disagree with the katana. Despite Hollywood myth (the same Hollywood myth that gave us guns that never seem to run out of ammo), katanas aren't particularly better as a sword compared to other sword types from other countries, and there are better weapons. Something that can crush/break bones like a [url=www.lutel.cz/17013_17014.htm] mace[/url] or [url=www.kkart.cz/sekery.htm]axe[/url], or something with a bit more reach like a [url=www.armor.com/2000/catalog/item010.html] pollaxe[/url] would be more appropriate.

Without bones, how does a zombie move? Muscles create leverage on the bones to move. Broken bones tend to negate the leverage effect of the muscles.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#45]
=Past 1km:
Barrett M95.
Bullpup version of M82A1, lighter, shorter. More maneuverability.
=Within 800 yards:
M14 w/ scope.
=within 400 yards:
AK47S with GP
Readily available ammo, light weight, small, accurate, and above all, RELIABLE AS HELL.
The GP is my perfect launcher. While the 40mm M203 arms arm at 14 yards, these babies only need a good shock- so they make perfect impact-detonation hand grenades (Russian troops love em for that).
=Large groups, or buildings- past 200 yards
Forget the exact name, Russian-made shoulder-launch Fuel-Air RPG's.
NICE STUFF, These babies level entire buildings like good hand-grenades can level mud-brick shacks.
===A bradley to carry all this crap, and also add a little fire-power at all ranges.

=Then again, I can allways opt for the fully-loaded A-10.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#46]
The reason I chose a katana over other types of bladed weapons is that it is a lot easier to carry than a big broadsword or an axe.  It would be just as effective too, as you could get more swings in a lot more faster.  However, the pollaxe is a good idea, cuz you could just swing that baby around and crush/decapitate/mutilate several zombies at a time from a further distance, though it would be a bit more difficult to carry due to it's size and weight.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Why, if it really gets up close and personal, with a zombie trying to munch on my cerebellum, then I'm gonna whip out my Leatherman and go to town.

Worst case scenario I'll take off a tube sock, fill it with a bar of soap and go psycho.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Actually, a Katana is more effective than other swords.

A Katana is regarded as the deadlist sword.

Curved, stiff blade, fairly long, light, fast, and oh, so sharp.

What's not to like?

Flamethrowers are not a good idea for zombies. It just spreads the T Virus...

Technically, the living dead and the undead are two completely different baddies. The undead can die, the living dead can't. Or is it the other way around? Anyways, there's several kinds of zombies, too.

Shotgun usually seems to be the prefered weapon for zombie room clearing/CQB. High-cap Beretta 9mm falls right behing.

You have to completely destroy the CNS of a zombie if you want to kill it, actually, render it unfuntional. Decapitation, blunt object trauma, hydro-static shock...

Just don't let them bite you...

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#49]
A katana is easier to carry? Not particularly. Despite what you might have heard, a similar sized european longsword or chinese jian is just as easy to carry. If you're thinking you can carry it on your back and draw it from over your shoulder, forget it. More movie hype. Put your hand on your shoulder then lift your hand up as high as you can. How far is your hand from your shoulder? If it's longer than the length of the sword blade inside the scabbard, you could draw it that way. Unless you have particularly long arms, your reach above your shoulder will be maybe 30 inches (measure from the shoulder to the wrist, your fingers and palm will be holding the grip and shouldn't be counted). If your reach is shorter than the length of the blade, you'd be stuck with part of the blade still inside the scabbard and no more reach needed to pull it clear. How long is the blade of the katana you want to carry? More than your "over the shoulder" reach? It's much easier to carry and draw a katana from the hip than from the shoulder. The same is true with straight bladed swords.

Also, sword weights are blown completely out of proportion. Even the giant two handed swords (Zweihanders) favoured by German mercinaries (Landesknechts) of the early rennaisance typically weighed in the 8-12 pound range, based on swords from that period still in museums today. A hand and a half longsword/bastard sword (light enough to be used one handed but with a grip long enough to be used two handed) weighs around 2.5 - 3.5 pounds. There were huge and very heavy cerimonial swords, called "bearing swords" for use in parades and cerimonies, but they were status symbols, not working weapons.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Actually, a Katana is more effective than other swords.
View Quote

Based on what? I'm not anti-katana in the slightest, I think they're the most elegent looking style of blade I've ever seen, and nice to use based on personal experience learning the Seitei Renmei style of Iaido (a style of Japanese swordfighting). I'm just pointing out that they are over-hyped.

A Katana is regarded as the deadlist sword.
View Quote

Regarded by whom?

Curved, stiff blade, fairly long, light, fast, and oh, so sharp.

What's not to like?
View Quote

The curved shape is more useful during the draw from the scabbard, especially from horseback, but once it's out of the scabbard, there's no specific advantage to the curve over a straight blade. Stiff isn't a completely desireable feature. A good blade should have a little flexability too it, known as a "spring temper" where it can flex and return to it's straight shape without being permanently damaged/bent. Katana are not well known for their ability to flex, they are more prone to permanent damage when flexed sideways. Length is good, but any blade shape can be long. They're not especially faster than a longsword and slower than a rapier. Also, there is such a thing as being "too sharp". To get a very sharp edge, it has to be very fine, which means the edge can be damaged more easily, especially when cutting bone.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top