Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 5:31:49 PM EDT
Why does the military do weird things... or maybe there is a reason for it

why do they do this they want me to sign a contract then they want me spend the night in a hotel then they want me to get a physical?

wtf it sounds like some weird scam??

I asked the recruiter and didn't get a straight answer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
it's the government, and you are expecting it to make sense? [%|] you have no idea what you are in for.

seriously, it may be so they can have you in a somewhat more controlled (read sober) environment prior to processing at MEPS. BTW, my cousin's kid just went through the same thing, no big deal.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope I am not making a mistake. It should work out though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to do that in 79. A lovely night at the DeVille in New Orleans. Two roaches held my arms behind my back while a rat took my wallet. What a dive!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had to do that in 79. A lovely night at the DeVille in New Orleans. Two roaches held my arms behind my back while a rat took my wallet. What a dive!
View Quote

wow thats ruff
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

why do they do this they want me to sign a contract then they want me spend the night in a hotel then they want me to get a physical?

View Quote

what the hell are you talking about?

you probably stay in a hotel because its better than sleeping outside because MEPS begins work at like 5 in the morning(at least where I am).

where the hell is the scam? you have to get a physical so they can make sure you wont drop dead or cause em problems

How in gods name did you even qualify for armed forces service?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
hehehehehehe....

make sure and ask them about your free Game Boy when you get to MEPS...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is part of "don't ask don't tell" policy.  You sign a contract saying you will quit having anal sex with your gay lover.  Then they put you in a hotel to tempt you.  The next day they do a physical and examine your anus to see if you broke the contract.  If you check out they certify you for training.  If you fail then you have to go into the Air Force.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

what the hell are you talking about?

you probably stay in a hotel because its better than sleeping outside because MEPS begins work at like 5 in the morning(at least where I am).

where the hell is the scam? you have to get a physical so they can make sure you wont drop dead or cause em problems

How in gods name did you even qualify for armed forces service?
View Quote

I was joking about the scam part

It was just weird the recruiter snuck it in right before he was about to hang up.

I just don't see the point why do they have you come in sign something then wait a few hours send you to a motel then take you to the place???

why don't they have you sign the contract then just show up the next day? its like a 15minute drive??
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
There's the right way,

The wrong way,

and the Army / Navy / Air Force / Marine way.

If you plan on joining, you'll probably end up doing a few things that won't make sense to you.  Learn to live with that and you'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hurry up and wait.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Good question.

Back in '98, Colonel Roosevelt didn't make us do any of that stuff.........
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It is part of "don't ask don't tell" policy.  You sign a contract saying you will quit having anal sex with your gay lover.  Then they put you in a hotel to tempt you.  The next day they do a physical and examine your anus to see if you broke the contract.  If you check out they certify you for training.  If you fail then you have to go into the Air Force.
View Quote

[LOL]

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
i beleive they want you at the hotel so a 4 am they can wake you and have you at meps at 5am,to sit there all day,as in hurry up and wait!
because there will be most likely 100's of people there!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#14]
When all the other kids are waiting in line to go into the doctor's office and you're walking out, rub your ass and say, "Hey guys watch out, the docs got cold hands."
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Heh heh,   "You may feel a little pressure....."
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i beleive they want you at the hotel so a 4 am they can wake you and have you at meps at 5am,to sit there all day,as in hurry up and wait!
because there will be most likely 100's of people there!
View Quote

when i went there were about 10 [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Jesus, I just joined the Army and went through MEPS. I didn't have to stay ANYWHERE but my bed. My reqruiter took me there at 5 am. about 30 min drive. Of course, I was pushing them to get in, they werent trying to sell the Army to me. I told them I WANT TO JOIN NOOOOOWWWW!
The still tried to sell me, I told them I ALREADY WANT TO GO!!!! STFU. Once they realized I was serious they were very cool. My recruiter, a female, almost cried when I swore in.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My recruiter, a female, almost cried when I swore in.
View Quote

why?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My recruiter, a female, almost cried when I swore in.
View Quote

why?
View Quote
i couldn't help it, he was sooo cute [:X][:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Weird part is the hotel.

When I went to MEPS, my dad dropped me off. Did the whole physical deal, swore in, signed enlistment contract and was on a plane to FL by night fall. 3AM woke up to the wonderfull sound of trash cans with golf ball in em being rolled in, a loud trumpet, and being flipped outta my rack. Then I learned to run in place in my skivvies half asleep. Ahhh bootcamp!!!
View Quote

so how bad is it there must have been some fun parts.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Dude the hotel night before rocks.  Free food and chilling with chicks who are about to get shipped out (play your card rights you'll get some loving).  Waking up in the mornings a bitch though.  Prepare to sit in a room in your boxers with 30 other guys.  You'll be doing the duck walk and all that fun stuff.  Don't piss in the morning cause they make you pee at meps.  Also, avoid sugary foods cause it might screw with your blood test.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#23]
MEPS MEPS, in the good old days when men were men, we used the AFEES.

The hotel the night before is to make sure your there on time the next morning, plus depending on where you are most folks aren't close enough to be sure they will find it and get there on time.

Actually the first time I went through the AFEES was for an NROTC Physical, only got interesting when one guy showed the Doc he had about 2/3 of his left hand.  "How did that happen?"  "Stuffing match heads in a CO2 cylinder, SIR"  "Oh, you can get dresed now.  Thank you for your time."  or words to that effect, much much more colorful words.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  

ITs no scam and its not mandatory.  I drove two hours to get to the "local" MEPS station by 5AM, just to have one more evening to play with my kids and one last night in my own bed with my wife.  We could have gotten better sleep in a hotel room. I was 32 years old when I went in, turned 33 at AIT and have been home for about 8 weeks now, to be honest I miss it (I'm in the Guard...a big anti-climax let me tell you.)  Good look, if my old fat ass could make it you can too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I've come to the conclusion that they don't let you drive yourself to MEPS because they are afraid you will get pissed and leave when the job counslers try to fuck you over.

I didn't go the hotel thing.  I just met my recruiter at the recruiting station at 0345 and he drove me up there.  Worked out well because I finished up like 3 hours earlier than usual and I didn't have to wait around for everyone else to finish before I could leave.

My only gripe is that I have to wait until November to ship... but I guess thats expected when you take a job every young rambo wants to do and has limited slots.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#27]
What branch?  Not that it matters, proceedures at MEPS are the same for al branches.

LT, Good Ol' Orlando RTC eh?  I went to Great Lakes.

1911Greg  The recruiter wants to make sure you show up so they take you to the hotel also because, as stated already, MEPS begins their day at 0500 or so.  BTW if you crammed everything you do at MEPS into one compressed non-stop activity the whole thing, ASVAB not included, would take about 2 hours.  Have fun sitting around in your underwear all day!  Lol!

Just think of it as part of your military indoctrination.  Then you swear in, go to boot and Viola, you become "one of us".
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I signed up to be an Army grunt. [%(]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:35:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Just remember that they will hurry you up just so you can wait.

Never volunteer for anything.

Don't get offended if your DI in Basic says, "Nuts to butts, make the guy in front of you smile", while you are in the chow line.

Find out which arm your "Military right or left" is.

Don't worry about "Jody".  He's gotten all our girls at one time or another.

"Police call" is not calling 911 on the phone.

Find out what "eye balling" is before Basic.

Just remember to [b]always[/b] keep your gut sucked in, chest pushed out, sholders back, chin up and head facing foward at all times.  Even when you're sleeping.

Never bend over in the shower to pick up your soap.

Good luck and have fun.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:36:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gas chamber was a blast. Hey when was the last time you got to drink your own snot and recite your 13 general orders.
View Quote

You must have been in there a long time.

[size=3]The [red]Eleven[/red] General Orders for a Sentry[/size=3]

1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.

2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.

3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.

4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.

5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.

6. To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the commanding officer, officer of the day, and officers and noncommissioned officers of the guard only.

7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.

8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

9. To call the petty officer of the watch/corporal of the guard in any case not covered by instructions.

10. To salute all officers and all colors and all standards not cased.

11. To be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:07:18 AM EDT
[#31]
When you get your physical make sure the Doc takes off his ring.

"Whoa!  Class of '78, eh?"
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#32]
"wtf it sounds like some weird scam??"

If it sound like one, looks like one, it is one.

Unlike most scams, its a scam that you will get out of it what you put into it.

How many other times can you sell yourself to anybody or to a company ?

Good luck and try to have fun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#33]
quit whining kid.  Welcome to the Military!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I signed up to be an Army grunt. [%(]
View Quote

More specifically I also got the Ranger option which includes airborne school.  Thats the big reasons why I have to wait forever to ship.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stand by, 'cause you ain't seen nothing yet....
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Stand by, 'cause you ain't seen nothing yet....
View Quote

[rofl] how true
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#37]
When I got to MEPS after a near-sleepless night in a cheesy hotel in LA's skid row (June '64), I was ordered around going here and there, following the yellow lines, the red lines, and the green lines while getting inspected, dissected, rejected, detected and infected by all sorts of strange people I'd never seen before.  Although I'd joined the Navy, I was being processed by Army types! [shock].  I figured next stop, Ft. Hood or something like that!  Took me into the shrink and and he asked my if I hated my mother and if I was a faggot.  I just started jumpin' up and down yelling KILL...KILL...KILL!  Then the shrink started jumping up and down too yelling KILL...KILL...KILL and he came over and pinned a medal on my chest and said, "You're our boy!".  (With apologies to Arlo!  Nobody could have said it better about MEPS!.  Never did ask me to sit on the group W bench though...guess my crimes were too petty!) [;D]

By this point, I figured I was toast for sure and headed to the Marine Corps!  I can't remember much about the rest of the day...except that part about 1630 when we all raised out hands and took the oath.  Next thing I know, I'm on a bus to San Diego...and Navy RTC.  The next 28 years is simply a blur...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Gawd following the lines.  There was always some dummy who didn't pay attention and took off and followed they guy or two in front of him and taking different colors than he was told to follow.  By the time he was found in the wrong place and run back to where he should be he was finding out just how low on the totem pole he was.  And the rest of us paid a lot more attention.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#40]
loardtrader,

You did better than I.  The only thing I could remember was; "Who goes there?"   [8D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I still suffer from [b]CLS[/b] (Chronic Line Syndrom) to this very day. No matter where I am or what I am doing, if I see people standing in line I have to get in it. I have recieved 5 lb. blocks of cheese, bought movie tickets, flown to the wrong destination, and spent 3 weeks at some wierd cult in Oregon.

I need help, and quick before I get into a line that is headed for the Big House and Bubba's awaiting arms.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh, did I mention I ship out July 1st [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#43]
MDC85,

There is one thing I remember that has always stuck in my mind but I don't know why.

After I signed up, took my physical and finished all my paper work, I reported to ship out.  It was downtown in a medimum size city.  

We all got on the bus and it was parked in an ally next to the processing center.  

In the ally there were four "drunk bums" or to be politically correct, homeless men.  They were pointing to us and laughing.  For some reason I started feeling sorry for them instead of getting annoyed.

It's was like I was starting out my life on a high adventure but they had already ended theirs.  By the way that day was July 6, 1965.

Anyway.......good luck, always keep a positive attitude and take every day one step at a time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top