Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 3:14:55 PM EDT
[url]http://www.freestateproject.org/[/url]

I like this idea, I mean I [b]REALLY[/b] like this idea.

The Free State Project is a plan in which 20,000 or more liberty-oriented people will move to a single state of the U.S., where they may work within the political system to reduce the size and scope of government. The success of the Free State Project would likely entail reductions in burdensome taxation and regulation, reforms in state and local law, an end to federal mandates, and a restoration of constitutional federalism, demonstrating the benefits of liberty to the rest of the nation and the world.

The following states are under consideration: Wyoming, Vermont, Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Idaho, and Maine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty cool idea,

but I dont see Delaware or working for them. Just too populated for something like this to start out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Well Ric, I think that if this occured, a large migration for political reasons with the intent of taking over a state via the political process it would get major media attention. This would potentially draw other like minded individuals to the target state, increasing their influence. 20,000 would represent 10% of the voting population in Wyoming, 5% in Montana and 2% in Maine. 10% is a force to be reckoned with politically. I think it could be done.

How would you like to live in a place where state laws prohibiting the right to keep and bear arms were abolished, entirely and completely?

I know I would.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
vermont would be a definite possibility for me but the winters there suck.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
St. Albans Vermont on Lake Champlain....definately in my top 10 places to habitate.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been considering buying some property in Idaho anyway, so that would be my choice.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
best bet would be the state with the smallest pop. so the 'immigrants' would have a greater impact
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
best bet would be the state with the smallest pop. so the 'immigrants' would have a greater impact
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking
View Quote

Actually the state with the smallest voting population.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
what are 20,000 people going to do for jobs in a state with 700,000?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what are 20,000 people going to do for jobs in a state with 700,000?
View Quote

All I need is one, which I am quite sure I can get.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Im betting when the 5k mark is reached and they pick a state, the 20k extra will come quickly.  Its easier to say "I'll move" when you know where you're moving.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Alaska, North Dakota, and South Dakota are definately out for me, but I would be all over Wyoming, Vermont, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Idaho, and Maine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it is cowardly to leave your state if you like living there. Political winds blow back and forth, who knew West Virginia would vote for Bush?
With the lower voter turnout rate, dedicated gun rights people who get out their vote will exercise more power.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a great idea, However there is a reason that these states are in the lower population bracket...either their climate is harsh for part or most of the year and some could not or would not adapt well, or have limited economic resources to support a larger population...

to put it simply, people live where they live BECAUSE they can make a living and live comfortably..It's sort of a natural order of things.

but that is also why the more populus states are so screwed up is it attracts every type of person from good to bad.

like I said before, I like this idea, but as long as we are wishing about something, I just wish it could happen in a state that could actually support such an idea.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#15]
i'd be up for ND, my home state

i like the cold
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Maine works for me. Lotsa land. Mountains, flatlands, oceanfront, it has everything.

Let's do Maine. I'm in.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.freestateproject.org/[/url]

Wyoming, Montana, Idaho
View Quote

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get to one of these states & still make a decent living.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top