Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 11:46:31 AM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/11/wife.death.ap/index.html[/url]

BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut (AP) -- An 89-year-old man who suffocated his ailing, 85-year-old wife in what he said was an effort to end her misery pleaded guilty Wednesday to manslaughter and will not have to go to prison.

Morris Meyer, who is in a wheelchair, received a three-year suspended sentence and must spend that time at the nursing home where he lived with his wife.

Meyer told police that Cornelia Meyer, his wife of 63 years, had begged him to help end her pain. She died March 24.

His attorney argued that she had been suffering from depression and physical ailments. Nursing home records indicate she wanted to end her life.

"My dad wanted to make her happy. That's why this occurred," said Karen Meyer, the couple's daughter. She described her father as a gentle man.

Superior Court Judge Richard Damiani said it would do no good to put Meyer in prison.

"There is no question that you were a loving husband to your wife," he said. "But regardless of your motive, what you did was legally and morally wrong."

Prosecutor Jonathan Benedict said the sentence was appropriate.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
This happens among the elderly a lot more than you think.

Years ago, I knew a guy that very seriously wanted to shoot his cancer-ridden, suffering wife......and then himself!

We had to keep an eye on him until she finally passed away.

It was sad......

Truth is, I can't blame him for wanting to end her misery.

Sometimes I feel we treat our pets better than we do each other.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Truth is, I can't blame him for wanting to end her misery.
View Quote

I agree, It must be the hardest thing in the world to watch the person you love most suffer.
[V]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top