Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/11/2003 9:40:30 AM EDT
..by a Broward Country sheriff deputy.  My friend lives in a townhouse and his neighborhood is going downhill fast.  There have been signs up for a couple of months saying "this area under sheriff dept. surveillance".
So I'm getting into my truck to leave when this BSO car pulls up and blocks me in.  My truck is backed in so my lights are shining on his car.  My buddy is standing there and we're bullshitting before I leave.  The deputy walks up and asks if we live there and my buddy says yes.  He then asks for ID to PROVE that he lives there so my friend goes inside to get it.  Then he asks me "is this your car?" and I said "the one I'm sitting in?" and he says some shit about what else would he be asking about and I said "well, this is a truck".  All in all the guy was a prick.  I actually wanted my friend to say he DIDN'T have ID just to see what the deputy would do.
He let me friend go back inside to look for his ID, in which case my friend could have come out shooting.  He never even tried to look in my truck, if he had he would have seen the .357 grip sticking out between the seats.
Once he determined we were legit he didn't explain himself or anything, just rolled his fat-ass back into his car and drove away.
And then they wonder why people hate cops?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO it sounds like you were a bit of a prick yourself.

You admitted that the neighborhood is going downhill fast, thus the extra LE attention.

If your truck (and gun) had been stolen, would you have bitched that the police aren't paying ENOUGH attention to that particular neighborhood?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Typically, the reason that cops do what you described is because they have had a shitload of complaints about rowdy loiterers disturbing and/or threatening the residents. So, as a service to the residents, who asked for rigorous patrols in the first place, the cops come by and verify anyone they don't already know. That same cop will never ask you or your friend again, as he now knows you. Still, I tend to be friendly acting to all cops. I find that they tend to respond well to this and I end up learning more from them about what is going on than if I cop a 'tude. But, that's just me...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]
oh crap...can't an officer act like a human being and not a little gestapo.....his actions will be responsible, in part, for people deciding that the neighborhood is done and moving out leaving the scum he is accustomed to dealing with........seeing the same thing in my neighborhood. I drive a nissan Maxima...I get stopped and the rice boys dealing drugs next door speed by the police.....time to move...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.
View Quote

Yep.
View Quote

I was all prepared to be nice until he started acting like big king shit the moment he stepped out of the car.  My friend who's house I was at is one of the friendliest people in the world on first meeting and he was very polite to the deputy.  I only acted like a jerk after I watched how he treated my friend.
I will freely admit that I immediately question the morals, intelligence and motivations of anyone who would choose to work for Ken Jenne however.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He let me friend go back inside to look for his ID, in which case my friend could have come out shooting.  He never even tried to look in my truck, if he had he would have seen the .357 grip sticking out between the seats.
View Quote

This is the reason why, and rightly so, that the vast majority of law enforcement do not want civilians to own firearms.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the reason why, and rightly so, that the vast majority of law enforcement do not want civilians to own firearms.
View Quote

So if the pistol wasn't sticking up the cop would have tried to look inside the truck?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#9]
It does not matter if he was being a prick, he was still being harassed illegaly by the cop.

Quoted:

You admitted that the neighborhood is going downhill fast, thus the extra LE attention.

If your truck (and gun) had been stolen, would you have bitched that the police aren't paying ENOUGH attention to that particular neighborhood?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

So if the pistol wasn't sticking up the cop would have tried to look inside the truck?
View Quote

I, too, am puzzled by the logic.  

I think this cop was asking questions in a routine way that established he was in charge and that he wanted to get done ASAP.  Personally, I'd help him along rather than look to take offense.  His questions were pertinent to the problem and obvious, so why quibble about a truck being a car.

That said, I can never understand why physical fitness of officers is not stressed enough to eliminate those who are fat and out of shape.  It appears they relax the standards as the years go by to where there are some who keep the donut jokes in vogue.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish a cop had been snooping around when my truck was stolen out of my driveway last month...... would have saved me from a $5,000 loss.
--RR
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Too bad you weren't straddled cross a mighty Harley Davidson.  The cop, both in awe of the rumbling steed betwixt your legs [u]and[/u] your canny sense of street-style, would've figured that you were either one tuff hombre or a yuppie lawyer.  Regardless, he'd of just  moved along to his next victim.  [nana]

Actually, situations such as these are why I carry a box of Krispy Kreme donuts in my car.  Whenever a cop starts sniffing around I just grab the box, wave it front of his face, whistle a couple of times, and then quickly flick it over his shoulder behind him.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude, it's Broward. If your not a prick they won't let you have a badge. I was down there for the Full Flavor Kings first show. Asked Directions from one for the club, he answered, "do I look like a tour guide?" I said "No, you look like a pubilc servant, now SERVE ME!" He then threatened to arrest me if I didn't move along. Apparently asked a BCD for directions is loitering.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Too bad you weren't straddled cross a mighty Harley Davidson.  The cop, both in awe of the rumbling steed betwixt your legs [u]and[/u] your canny sense of street-style, would've figured that you were either one tuff hombre or a yuppie lawyer.  Regardless, he'd of just  moved along to his next victim.  [nana]

Actually, situations such as these are why I carry a box of Krispy Kreme donuts in my car.  Whenever a cop starts sniffing around I just grab the box, wave it front of his face, whistle a couple of times, and then quickly flick it over his shoulder behind him.
View Quote

You're just not going to let this shit die are you?  Since we're dredging up old threads...
How about you go back to licking Henry Rollins' balls and buying tickets to see a has-been try and get three convicts out of jail instead of popping up in threads posting shit that has nothing to do with anything?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Didn't you get the word???
Get out of the cities!! Now!  [;D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess I don't get it.  You freely admit that your friend's neighborhood is "going downhill fast".  So the Sheriff's Deputy is patroling and that makes you mad?  Seems like I would be glad.

SuperAlpha said:

It does not matter if he was being a prick, he was still being harassed illegaly by the cop.
View Quote

Harassed?  He was only asking questions to determine if they belonged there?  How is this harassment?  How else is the policeman going to determine if they are in their own neighborhood?

There is just no pleasing cop bashers.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think this cop was asking questions in a routine way that established he was in charge and that he wanted to get done ASAP.  Personally, I'd help him along rather than look to take offense.  His questions were pertinent to the problem and obvious, so why quibble about a truck being a car.
View Quote

No offense, but you weren't there so you have no idea how he was asking questions.  This is partly my fault as I obviously didn't do a good enough job conveying the way things went down.
This guy acted like a prick from the get-go, and even when confronted with friendly, cooperative behavior he still acted like a jerk, all the while making errors that could have gotten him killed.  I find it hard to believe that you're billy bad-ass when I know there were 10 different opportnities for someone to drop your fat butt where you stand if I was the criminal you thought I was.

On a lighter note, I did hear him call into dispatch that he was talking to two white males.  My Puerto Rican friend would have been so happy to know that the guy called him white, haha.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
[bounce][ROFL2][>Q][BD][LOLabove]

Man - I wish I was a BCSD!  I'd order you to go take a nap!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#19]
You were on private property? You were NOT driving? He was being an a$$hole.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is just no pleasing cop bashers.
View Quote

I had a shitty experience with a cop and talk about it and that makes me a cop basher? hmmm, ok.
Honestly most of my dealings with LEOs in my area have been good. When the neighbors left dog poo on the doorstep and my ex-GF called the cops on them the guy that responded was great.  This was in the same neighborhood.  I've run into various cops at various gunshops around town and at IDPA and all have been cool.  I have always felt comfortable talking to LEOs in the area, and really anywhere I go.  The BSO deputies that responded to my wreck were both awesome to deal with.  I used to sell guns and police supplies so I don't have that same nervous feeling that most do when confronted with the cops.  I always feel comfortable talking with them when I see them out and about.  
That's really what pissed me off with this prick is that I expected this to be more of the same.  I'm not saying he jumped out of the car and drew down on me, but the fat-fuck could use a lesson in how to deal with the public.  It's also common knowledge what the problem is in that neighborhood, and neither my friend or I fit that description.  He missed a good chance for some PR for his department and instead made a shitty impression.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he blocked your truck in, without first observing some violation of law, then you were were most likely illegally detained. However, it only take so much as throwing a cigarette but on the ground (littering), or some equipment violation of the truck, to make the detention lawfull. Additionally some courts have ruled that blocking in a vehicle does not constitute a detention of the occupants, as long as the occupants can get out and WALK away.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#22]
How was that illegal? Ne wasn't even giving you a problem. He was doing his job. I'd love to hear you howl when you get some REAL attention, like if he started to snoop around and noticed your pistol.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How was that illegal? Ne wasn't even giving you a problem. He was doing his job. I'd love to hear you howl when you get some REAL attention, like if he started to snoop around and noticed your pistol.
View Quote

So because he was just kind of a jerk and not a total fuckwad I whould be happy?  You're clearly missing the point.  Read the last couple of lines of my last post.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
If I was your friend I would have asked, "Why?".  If he didnt have a real good reason, I would say, "Okay, let me get it". I'd have walked into the house, shut the door, locked it gone back to the arfcom forums.

If a cop asked me to produce an ID while on my own property he/she would have to have a damn good reason.

This isn't Nazi Germany and Im not a Subject.

God Bless honest, decent LEO's for  great job they do. Fu

-HS
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Why would he stop just to question people on private property who were not doing anything suspicious?
If I was questioned by a LEO every time I was in my yard or that of a friend, I would be getting really pissed by now.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
God Bless honest, decent LEO's for  great job they do. Fu
View Quote

Amen
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#27]
are any of you guys in law enforcement or have ever been? you are being a little hard on him for checking people that are in an area that you admitted to declining. you say the area has been going down hill for some time? that deputy doesnt know you from adam so he has to be a bit edgy to make sure he goes home every night. you say he he was unaware of what you guys were doing and could have killed him. i bet he saw more and remembers more about you guys than you do him. not trying to beat on ya about it just simply wanted you to walk in his shoes for a bit and see what it is he has to do. oh by the way i dont think you should make judgement on a cop cause of his physical appearance. they are some of the best out there.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Tisk Tisk! Imbroglio, cite your sources.  Now, are you talking about actual beat cops or the elected politicians who call themselves sheriffs?  Or were you just spouting an opinion (Yours, the brady bunch's, VPC's etc.) with no hard data to back it up?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Norman74, I know the type...I've seen a few of them myself.  The vast majority of LEOs I've encountered have been pretty cool...but there ARE some pricks around, no doubt.  

I'm sure he could have started the whole thing by saying, "hey guys, we've had some complaints around here, etc...would you mind showing me some ID?" in a reasonable tone, and you would have reacted totally different.  I can't even count the number of times I've seen LEO behaviour that exacerbated the situation instead of difusing it.  

I had a guy pull me over years ago and tell me he didn't like the color of my car, in a REAL snotty tone lol...it didn't get too much better after that.  He ended up giving me a loud muffler ticket...but not before he was dumb enough to stick his head down by my back bumper and ask me to rev it up hehehehe...I'll bet those burnt out glasspacks were REAL loud at about 7000rpms.  He was shaking as he wrote the ticket [;)]

Another encounter showed the opposite side of the coin:  I had car trouble...with a buddy, we're pulled over with the hood up, in a parking lot off the main road about 2:30 am.  Cop car pulls up...he gets out, and says..."nice car...you havin' a little trouble?"...I said, "yes, sir", and explained what was wrong...he casually asks to see drivers license and registration.  It turns out he had the same make/model car I had, and was a bit of a gear head...he told me exactly what the problem was when I cranked the car up.  We became pretty good friends after that.  It's all in the attitude...I realize it works both ways, but since the LEO usually makes the first contact, they tend to start it off, one way or the other.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.. When the neighbors left dog poo on the doorstep and my ex-GF called the cops on them the guy that responded was great...
View Quote

Cops? For this? There must be more to this story...
View Quote

Well, it all started with them leaving notes on the front door in broken english that we were bangin too loud.  I swear to christ I wish I had kept those notes, it was some of the funniest shit I've ever read, all in broken english written with a crayon in the worst handwriting I've seen since the 3rd grade.
After the ex found the dog poo she went to talk to them and it got heated, and the dad threatened to kill my dog.  The ex figured it was best to call the cops on them before I got home rather than them call the cops on me after I got home.
The funniest part was when the bitch next door finally admitted to doing it and the cop made her not only go get something to scoop it up, but also use her own hose to wash off the front walk.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Doesn't it suck that cops can legally break the laws and abuse their powers to harrass  you, knowing most-likely they will not be caught or reported, and if caught, they are protected?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#33]
PS: Is this the same county that cannot count or push a tiny little pin through a pre-punched little hole??
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Asked Directions from one for the club, he answered, "do I look like a tour guide?" I said "No, you look like a pubilc servant, now SERVE ME!".
View Quote

First ,Good for you,don't any shit off anyone, second, [beer]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Does this townhouse have a private driveway, or a public parkinglot?

If a parking lot, then he has every right to do what he did.

If a driveway, then he was wrong.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Lighten up, Francis!

Bad juju is going down in the hood. Said copper checks you and your buddy out. He gave you some shit, you gave it back. He was in and out of your 'life' quickly.

Drive on w/ your bad self.

If you didn't have something to bitch about, would you even be on arfkom?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Scratch a cop and you will find a Nazi!! that is the sherriff thatwas recently caught lieing on CNN in an anti gun story. i just ask 1 question have any of ya'll read the constitution??????. it provides for things like free travel. in a free country. the deputy is a great protector of homeland security.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

If all you look for is the bad shit I say, then that's all you're going to see.

What you might miss is the shooting events I help organize, the South Fla meet&eats that have become my responsibility, the advice I try and give members when they ask about something I know, etc.
Now here's an examply where YOU are posting about something YOU don't know dick about.

To clarify a few other points:
The parking is privately owned by each homeowner, but he may not have known that.  Either way it's community property of the association, not public property.
Yes this is the same county that can't vote, AND can't get funding to vote.  Anyone know who Miriam Oliphant is?
And yes, this asshole deputy works for Ken Jenne, the politician who runs the BSO and was on CNN. The same politician who is not a licensed law enforcement officer and cannot arrest anyone.  He is a former state senator who decided to change to another elected office.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Okay, for all of you who are jumping on norman74 and proclaiming thant this is just "cop-bashing", let me give you a clue please.

As was pointed out, we aretalking about Broward County Sheriff's Office here. Probably one of the most anti-civil rights law enforcement agencies in the country. Most of you probably have heard of that show "COPS", well if you didn't know, most of that shows episodes were filmed in Broward.

Why, you ask? Because the elected sheriff there is 100% pure politician and loves for T.v. cameras to be around him and his department. All these years of that department being the center piece for that show has made the whole departments attitude more brazen, you know, shoot first, then if you didn't kill everone,ask some questions.

The Sheriff there has the majority of the sheeple convinced that he is god like and is looking out for thier safety when in fact all he is doing is furthering his career. His idealoligy has filtered down through the ranks and poisoned that whole department. The vast majority of that department are ASSHOLES!

p.s. norman, get out of Broward while you can!

556mm
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The parking is privately owned by each homeowner, but he may not have known that.  Either way it's community property of the association, not public property.
View Quote

That is a very confused statment.
Either the parking is private, or community (ie public). Is it space assigned, or is it an actual driveway to the townhouse?
Also, the association might have made a deal with the BCSO, which would allow the SO to deal with the members, and security issues.
It doesn't sound like a gated community,or else they would most likely have their own security company to do minor crap like this.

I'm not saying he was "right" or "wrong", or you.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#41]
To address the "White male" thing.  Some juridictions,  there are no Japanese, Korean, Mexicans, etc. You are either white or black.  That's how the database is organised.

Big flap about that very thing here a couple of months back,  some Hispanics were threatening to sue for being called white.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That said, I can never understand why physical fitness of officers is not stressed enough to eliminate those who are fat and out of shape.  It appears they relax the standards as the years go by to where there are some who keep the donut jokes in vogue.
View Quote

I concur totally. There appears to be a relaxation of fitness standards for cops that are obese.

Texas is filled with obese cops. It would be impossible for most of the Krispy Kings to walk 50 yards at a brisk pace, much less chase down an assiliant or intruder with any success. But let's face facts, what they lack in physical agility and speed they make up for with razor sharp wit and skilled reason. [lol]

TT
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#43]
You are right. Officers shouldn't be rude, and we don't tolerate it. I apologize on behalf of all Law Enforcement officers for your unpleasant encounter (seriously; no sarcasm here). We expect our guys to be polite and professional always, regardless of how much of a prick whoever they are dealing with is. He should have been more polite, despite your poor attitude, and there is no excuse for unprofessional behavior. If we want to be treated as professionals, and paid like professionals, then we should act like professionals.

Your attitude could have contributed, though, but it still doesn't excuse improper behavior. You do have to understand that there is a distinct difference between having a good command presence and decent safety skills and being a prick, though, and some actions that SEEM impolite are merely business as usual. It helps if the officers explain this, though (another mark of the professional).

As to all of the "fat cop" comments, that isn't our fault, its your for electing all of these commies who appoint left-wing fellow travellers to the courts. Get some us decent judges in the courts, and that will change. It is pretty much impossible to apply any kind of retroactive or even continuing physical fitness standard in LE because of liberal interpretations of ADA and other federal employment laws, although the courts screw PDs twice and also hold Departments liable for "negligent retention" of out-of-shape officers. They can't have it both ways, but they do. PDs get sued for firing out-of-shape officers, and PDs get sued for retaining out-of-shape officers. We are screwed either way. New hires can be held to a astandard if it is part of their employment conitions, but even those standards have not always held up in court. Best course seems to be making incentives for folks to stay in shape (as if living until retirement and not feeling like crap all of the time weren't enough).
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You are right. Officers shouldn't be rude, and we don't tolerate it. I apologize on behalf of all Law Enforcement officers for your unpleasant encounter (seriously; no sarcasm here). We expect our guys to be polite and professional always, regardless of how much of a prick whoever they are dealing with is. He should have been more polite, despite your poor attitude, and there is no excuse for unprofessional behavior. If we want to be treated as professionals, and paid like professionals, then we should act like professionals.

Your attitude could have contributed, though, but it still doesn't excuse improper behavior. You do have to understand that there is a distinct difference between having a good command presence and decent safety skills and being a prick, though, and some actions that SEEM impolite are merely business as usual. It helps if the officers explain this, though (another mark of the professional).

As to all of the "fat cop" comments, that isn't our fault, its your for electing all of these commies who appoint left-wing fellow travellers to the courts. Get some us decent judges in the courts, and that will change. It is pretty much impossible to apply any kind of retroactive or even continuing physical fitness standard in LE because of liberal interpretations of ADA and other federal employment laws, although the courts screw PDs twice and also hold Departments liable for "negligent retention" of out-of-shape officers. They can't have it both ways, but they do. PDs get sued for firing out-of-shape officers, and PDs get sued for retaining out-of-shape officers. We are screwed either way. New hires can be held to a astandard if it is part of their employment conitions, but even those standards have not always held up in court. Best course seems to be making incentives for folks to stay in shape (as if living until retirement and not feeling like crap all of the time weren't enough).
View Quote

Thanks, I knew there was a perfectly logical reason behind this phenomenon.  [V]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
 It's also common knowledge what the problem is in that neighborhood, and neither my friend or I fit that description.  
View Quote

I think we get the picture... You think the cops should "profile"??? Hmmmmmm???
You cracker-assed cracka, you!!  [:D]

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Scratch a cop and you will find a Nazi!! .
View Quote

This shit here, is over-broad, general, and unfair...

There was a cop on here the other day who was 100% Grade A American Patriot, and confronted one of his "bros", and I know there are others on this board too. It is my hope, that after you are around awhile, you'll realize that, and NEVER make a general statement, good, or bad like that, about groups [b]"in general"[/b]!![;D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Always the trainer eh??[:D]

View Quote

Amazingly enough, after 56 years on the planet, I have made the discovery, (prolly by about age 6 or so), that MY ATITUDE, had a direct impact on how other people responded to me!! Why in hell should anyone assume that a guy who sees the worst we have to offer, every day, is going to be any different?? Although, in this case, it seems, the "nice" guy got the same treatment.

As to all of the "fat cop" comments, that isn't our fault, its your for electing all of these commies who appoint left-wing fellow travellers to the courts.
View Quote

Lot of people don't wanna hear that message. Actually, our grandparants, and great-grandparants bear a lot of the blame. Most of it was started before we were born, and the education system was pretty well co-opted by then.. One downside to the post wwII pursuit of the "Good Life", was not paying attention to what was going on. In other words, Materialism....Same as now.

Get some us decent judges in the courts, and that will change. It is pretty much impossible to apply any kind of retroactive or even continuing physical fitness standard in LE because of liberal interpretations of ADA and other federal employment laws, although the courts screw PDs twice and also hold Departments liable for "negligent retention" of out-of-shape officers. They can't have it both ways, but they do. PDs get sued for firing out-of-shape officers, and PDs get sued for retaining out-of-shape officers. We are screwed either way. New hires can be held to a astandard if it is part of their employment conitions, but even those standards have not always held up in court. Best course seems to be making incentives for folks to stay in shape (as if living until retirement and not feeling like crap all of the time weren't enough).
View Quote

Obesity is a problem throughout society, and not unique to your profession...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Texas is filled with obese cops. It would be impossible for most of the Krispy Kings to walk 50 yards at a brisk pace, much less chase down an assiliant or intruder with any success. But let's face facts, what they lack in physical agility and speed they make up for with razor sharp wit and skilled reason. [lol]

TT
View Quote

Yeah-- its like they pass the physical fitness and weight/strength requirements, but then if they gain weight, they are somehow protected from being terminated, maybe because of some disability or dicrimination law...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Either the parking is private, or community (ie public).
View Quote

Well, I would think every parking lot is private, as in privately owned, unless it is payed for by tax money.  Somebody owns that lot, and he chooses to open it the public, or perhaps in this case, open it to certain people.  If the owner of the property asked the police to keep unwanted individuals off his property, then people on his property have to answer to the police, or they'll go to jail for trespassing.  
Of course, the cop could have been more friendly about it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If all you look for is the bad shit I say, then that's all you're going to see.

What you might miss is the shooting events I help organize, the South Fla meet&eats that have become my responsibility, the advice I try and give members when they ask about something I know, etc.
Now here's an examply where YOU are posting about something YOU don't know dick about.

Yes this is the same county that can't vote, AND can't get funding to vote.  Anyone know who Miriam Oliphant is?
And yes, this asshole deputy works for Ken Jenne, the politician who runs the BSO and was on CNN. The same politician who is not a licensed law enforcement officer and cannot arrest anyone.  He is a former state senator who decided to change to another elected office.
View Quote

Norman74,

This is not a flame fest. You are a self-proclaimed asshole. [:)]You have said it in your posts before. I am a self-admitted asshole too! I am also a self-proclaimied smart ass, cause my momma didn't raise any dumb asses![:)]

When it comes to what you post in the GD, I do know dick about it because this is where I generally hang out on the board. From what I see, when you post on the GD forums, you generally bitch about something. That's all well & good w/ me because there is a lot in this world that needs bitching about. By all means continue to bitch; it's a free country  and all. Now, I admit that I don't hang out in the FL hometown forum but, I applaud your organizational skills and your willingness to spread the fine sickness that is the direct result of the Second Amendment throughout the great state of Florida. I grew up there and most of my family still lives in the areas surrounding TPA, JAX, etc...

I have personal experience w/ the BCSO. My father in law got busted for possesion of cocaine down there. They planted additional amounts on him to nail his ass for possesion w/ intent to distribute. He ended up serving a couple years in prison and then went on to do several years on probation.

I am no fan of them, but it seems like you are looking for an excuse to crucify the man down there. The deputy did his job w/ minimal intrusion into your life. He checked you & your buddy out. He asked you a question, you smarted off and he gave it right back to you. As soon as it started, it ended. Dosen't really seemed like you got harrassed at all according to your story. In short, get over it and move on w/ life. We enjoy your diatribes about the construction industry far more then this current rant.
[:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top