Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 8:49:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2003 8:51:27 AM EDT by xbigfootx]
My folks got me a cookbook the other day, because I've been in the long term process of teaching myself how to cook good, quality tasting food. I'm flippin through the book, and I don't know what half this shit is, let alone where to look for it in the grocery store. How do you get vegetable stock and creamed tomatoes? and what the fuck is peanut oil and filo pastry? Fuck it, time to order a pizza. Cooking can wait.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2003 8:53:37 AM EDT by Dredd308]
[url]www.foodtv.com[/url] I live by this site. BAM!
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC: the real reason I am posting here is because I am a POST COUNT WHORE
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2003 8:57:11 AM EDT by Cincinnatus]
"The Joy Of Cooking" It's a must have. Everything from pot roast to pastries. How to boil an egg to how to skin a squirrel. It's a classic and has been around for years. There is no other cookbook out there that even comes close.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:15:56 AM EDT
Can't remember the name of it, but Betty Crocker puts out an excellent basic cookbook....goes over a lot of information on preparation and ingredients...a good starting point.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:16:40 AM EDT
What Cincinnatus said..... I've been a bachelor for 29 years, I've aquired a small library of cook books but the one I always come back to is "The Joy Of Cooking". Also the old standby "Betty Crocker Cook Book"... Bon Appetit -
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:20:08 AM EDT
I got "A Man, A Can, A Plan" for my birthday. Recepies that include ribs, beer, beans and beef. Its a great cookbook. I have made several of the dishes, they are fairly quick and they taste great. The best thing, most of the items come out of cans and it tells you where to look for the slightly more odd items in the store.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:36:22 AM EDT
I second the Joy of Cooking. It's the best comprehensive cookbook out there. It'll teach you about all the questions you have. You'll have outstanding recipes for French, Italian, Mexican, Asian foods, etc. Pick your favorites, it'll probably be in there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:46:04 PM EDT
You guys working off the old or new of Joy of Cooking? (The new edition is the New Joy of Cooking).
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:14:43 PM EDT
I have the new. I'd imagine the old one can't be too bad, though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2003 2:29:20 PM EDT by rileyindy]
Cincinnatus has it right on the book. Pop on over to [url]www.allrecipes.com[/url] They have recipes for anything you can imagine and reviews so you can see if they are actually worth cooking. There are aisles in the supermarket that don't contain chips, beer or frozen foods. Although you'd find your filo dough in that last one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:00:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith: Can't remember the name of it, but Betty Crocker puts out an excellent basic cookbook....goes over a lot of information on preparation and ingredients...a good starting point.
View Quote
how about "Betty Crocker's New Cookbook" this is my bible in the kitchen. Ben, The Emu
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:01:14 PM EDT
JOY OF COOKING: Good all around cooking book from easy to difficult and a lot of "basic's explained. Any of the old Stand-bys, Betty Crocker, good Housekeeping etc. also good for old standby's. All receipe site is good. Another excellent site for EVERYTHING is below. http://www.recipesource.com/ Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:02:35 PM EDT
FoodTV is great, but tends toward the more martha stewart type recipes. The Joy of cooking (I have old and new) and Betty crocker are great books. If you have a Cracker Barrel restaurant/store near you, they have lots of great little cookbooks centering on "country" cooking. Also, most of the time when you buy a small appliance (mixer, food processor) they will include some basic recipes that are pretty good. I got some great bread recipes with my stand mixer. Spend a day at teh book store looking through the cookbooks. We have a borders here that has at least 500 different cookbooks from the basics to extreme french cuisine. Oh yeah, I can't remember the site exactly, but you can google it, Fr. Dominick has a website with great bread recipes (I love baking home made breads) Also, there is Fleishmans.com that orients on baking.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2003 3:14:47 PM EDT by California_Kid]
[size=5][b]To Serve Man[/b][/size=5] [img]http://members.cox.net/kaiotea/images/serve.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:33:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xbigfootx: My folks got me a cookbook the other day, because I've been in the long term process of teaching myself how to cook good, quality tasting food. I'm flippin through the book, and I don't know what half this shit is, let alone where to look for it in the grocery store. How do you get vegetable stock and creamed tomatoes? and what the fuck is peanut oil and filo pastry? Fuck it, time to order a pizza. Cooking can wait.
View Quote
Get a Betty Crocker Cook Book, maybe find one used too. It will be pretty easy to understand and has survived the test of time. Vegetable stock is essentially vegetable bouillion (probably in cubes, envelopes or small plastic cans in the soup section), creamed tomatoes probably means puree or cream of tomato soup, peanut oil will be right there with all the other oils, corn oil, Crisco oil, etc. and filo dough will be in the frozen food with the pie shells and desserts. It's thin, flaky dough used with (sort of like lasagna), desserts or entrees with layers of cheese or spinach, a Greek specialty.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:34:30 PM EDT
you dont need a new book. you need the vocabulary and maybe kitchen basics. i'll sell you a copy of cooking for dummies for 15.00 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:35:42 PM EDT
By chance, did you think you can put out what we do in the pro setting without some work? ;) The Joy of cooking is a good, basic, and easy to follow cookbook that is a must have to every cook. All the recipies work...they have been tested over time. When you are ready to step it up..go back to the other book! Once you escape steak, potatoes,ketchup, etc....there is so much out there that you will have a great time tasting it all!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:15:55 PM EDT
wal-mart has a CD that is called "One-Million Recipes" as you probably guessed it has a million recipes on it. i haven't bought it yet, but i have heard it is excellent.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:39:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nightstalker: Get a Betty Crocker Cook Book, maybe find one used too. It will be pretty easy to understand and has survived the test of time. Vegetable stock is essentially vegetable bouillion (probably in cubes, envelopes or small plastic cans in the soup section), creamed tomatoes probably means puree or cream of tomato soup, peanut oil will be right there with all the other oils, corn oil, Crisco oil, etc. and filo dough will be in the frozen food with the pie shells and desserts. It's thin, flaky dough used with (sort of like lasagna), desserts or entrees with layers of cheese or spinach, a Greek specialty.
View Quote
Damn, thanks for the answers. I'll be hittin my local barnes and noble here shortly looking for a basic cookbook where I can at least identify all of the ingredients in the reciepes. Thanks.
Top Top