Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 6:48:59 AM EDT
I have always wanted to get a .338 Whisper upper for an AR-10.  I have held off buying an AR 10, though, because they are all Postban and therefore cannot have a suppressor attached.

If the AW Ban expires and I buy an AR10 lower, would I then be able to get a .338 Whisper upper and have a suppressor on it?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Well, yes- you can, but I don't know what your question addresses. (Forgive if you already know all this)

Sound suppressors are governed under the National Firearms Act, which require payment of a $200 tax, fingerprints, photographs, and Law Enforcement approval at the local level, in addition to Fed approval.

So, once you go through that to get your suppressor, you then need a gun to thread it on to.

IF the ban dies, and there aren't any restrictions on threaded barrels and flash hiders, then yes, you can put it on a "new" AR10.
But as it stands right now, a sound suppressor must be attached to a preban AR, since

A) It usually requires a threaded barrel
B) Even though it's intent is to moderate sound, Suppressors are the most effective flash hiders you can have- so that adds another "evil feature" to the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Roger that - thanks!  Already knew the rules on suppressors, but I wanted to see about the pre-post-no ban rules :)  Hopefully it will and then it will all be a moot point.

I SO want a .338 whisper!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine has a Thompson Encore in .300 Whisper. Sweet little gun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Provided you pay the tax stamp and get approval, however, you could certainly put the suppressor on a .338 Whisper handgun... provided you could find one. [;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top