Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/11/2003 6:48:59 AM EDT
I have always wanted to get a .338 Whisper upper for an AR-10. I have held off buying an AR 10, though, because they are all Postban and therefore cannot have a suppressor attached. If the AW Ban expires and I buy an AR10 lower, would I then be able to get a .338 Whisper upper and have a suppressor on it?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:01:17 AM EDT
Well, yes- you can, but I don't know what your question addresses. (Forgive if you already know all this) Sound suppressors are governed under the National Firearms Act, which require payment of a $200 tax, fingerprints, photographs, and Law Enforcement approval at the local level, in addition to Fed approval. So, once you go through that to get your suppressor, you then need a gun to thread it on to. IF the ban dies, and there aren't any restrictions on threaded barrels and flash hiders, then yes, you can put it on a "new" AR10. But as it stands right now, a sound suppressor must be attached to a preban AR, since A) It usually requires a threaded barrel B) Even though it's intent is to moderate sound, Suppressors are the most effective flash hiders you can have- so that adds another "evil feature" to the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:43:27 PM EDT
Roger that - thanks! Already knew the rules on suppressors, but I wanted to see about the pre-post-no ban rules :) Hopefully it will and then it will all be a moot point. I SO want a .338 whisper!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:52:13 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a Thompson Encore in .300 Whisper. Sweet little gun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:57:56 PM EDT
Provided you pay the tax stamp and get approval, however, you could certainly put the suppressor on a .338 Whisper handgun... provided you could find one. [;D]
Top Top