Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2003 2:29:20 PM EDT
I think my current hd is about to shit the bed and I need a new one.  Is there an easy way to simply transfer the old info to the new hd?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The program you are asking about is called Drive Image, also DriveCopy, from PowerQuest, well it is one. This program can do a drive to drive copy with verification. They used to have free trial ware...there are other places to find it, if you know where to look.

The other offered options are good too.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Set new drive as SLAVE using the jumpers & instructions.
2. Install new drive in PC.
3. Boot PC into DOS mode.
4. Partition and format the new drive, if required, using FDISK and Format commands.
5. Boot PC into DOS mode again.
6. Type xcopy32 /s/e/h/k  press enter
7. Wait for copy to complete.
8 Power down PC. Disconnect power from Old Drive.
9. Change new drive setting from SLAVE to MASTER.
10. Reboot.
11. Check and make sure everything works.
12. If not, you can always change the new drive back to SLAVE and restore power to the old drive, so nothing will be lost. If everything works, then you can remove the old drive.

Make sure your Operating System supports xcopy32. Win95 - Win2000 do, but not sure of XP.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Western digital drives come with a diskette that has a utility to do that.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can remove the harddrive that is shitting the bed and reinstall it in tandem with the new one then just transfer the files between the two before the old drive dies on you.
View Quote

Took the words from my mouth... the only way to keep the bed clean.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
it sounds like ya'll are describing two different things here.  On the one hand you're talking about transfering files, and on the other you're talking about copying the whole drive, OS and all.  Is that right?
My basic concerns are keeping my mp3's, which I have about 5 gigs worth, and keeping my software.  I actually think that this hard drive is also "dirty" from years of use and I think starting fresh might just be the way to go.  I guess I could just borrow my friend's DVD burner, copy the mp3's and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
either slave the drive to copy files as has been suggested or get Norton Ghost
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PS: If you live close to ComputerGuy he might be able to help

[rolleyes]
View Quote

but then it might burst into flames!.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
1. Set new drive as SLAVE using the jumpers & instructions.
2. Install new drive in PC.
3. Boot PC into DOS mode.
4. Partition and format the new drive, if required, using FDISK and Format commands.
5. Boot PC into DOS mode again.
6. Type xcopy32 /s/e/h/k  press enter
7. Wait for copy to complete.
8 Power down PC. Disconnect power from Old Drive.
9. Change new drive setting from SLAVE to MASTER.
10. Reboot.
11. Check and make sure everything works.
12. If not, you can always change the new drive back to SLAVE and restore power to the old drive, so nothing will be lost. If everything works, then you can remove the old drive.

Make sure your Operating System supports xcopy32. Win95 - Win2000 do, but not sure of XP.

View Quote

this will not work on NT4/2000/xp if their drives are NTFS formatted, dos cannot read NTFS. just hook both drives into the system. use the supplied floppy to boot the system and use their copy/clone partition function to copy all data over. your system can now run on the new drive without any software reinstallation. as far windows is concerned its always been on that new drive.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And if you're using XP you'll have to call Microsoft and swap 43 digit numbers with them.

The wait time was zero for me and they were more than willing to listen to my story and reactivate my XP Pro and Office XP.

----> PROBABLY <----
View Quote

Nope, the HD change will be one change. all he has to do is clone the partition with the harddrives supplied software. XP won't care.however if you change the mobo is will get uppity and make you call the Vole.

even a fresh reload onto the same hardware base will not require calling the Vole. XP will generate a number that matches the one in the database at the Voles clearinghouse or one similer enough that it accepts it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used Ghost and EasyRestore, both of them will exactly duplicate your hard drive to a new one.  I've done it numerous times, never a problem.  Check it out.  hth  MournSword
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top