Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2001 8:43:46 PM EDT
If you've ever had it you know that smoked cheese is the shiznit, I've tried and failed several times smoking it myself, Anyone know how? If you build a little teeny fire soas not to melt it'd stand to reason it'd take more time but then the cheese would spoil. Should the water be turned on or no? smokers kick ass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If you've ever had it you know that smoked cheese is the shiznit, I've tried and failed several times smoking it myself, Anyone know how? If you build a little teeny fire soas not to melt it'd stand to reason it'd take more time but then the cheese would spoil. Should the water be turned on or no? smokers kick ass.
View Quote

I might guess that "smoked" cheese has some sort of smoke flavor added to the curds while being made, but I'm not sure. I really doubt that you can smoke cheese with a smoker.

Smoked salmon is something else entirely. Smokers ARE awesome in that respect.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried smokin' some cheese one time.........could'nt keep it lit [:D]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I tried smokin' some cheese one time.........could'nt keep it lit [:D]
View Quote

LMAO...I thought this was going to be another NSFjojo clove smoking thread on first sight...
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Erickm--

I have a smoker that smokes rather than cooks the stuff.  It has a little electric coil in the bottom, has a little "frying" pan you put the wood chips in, and it smokes and dries the stuff.  It works great for smoked salmon, jerky, turkey, hams, etc.  The bigger stuff (turkey and ham), I put in an oven to finish cooking.  I believe the model is "Big Chief" (not sure of the maker).

Now, to smoke cheese--if you have a regular (charcoal, gas or electric) smoker, you do need a very low heat source.  As low as you can go and still make the wood chips smoke.  Take the lid off the smoker.  Take a BIG cardboard box--one that will more than cover the top of the smoker where the lid goes.  Cut a few holes in the bottom of the box for the smoke to come in--not too many or too big, or the hot smoke will melt the cheese.  Suspend the cheese from a rack in the middle of the cardboard box.  Check it frequently to make sure it is not melting or getting too soft.  It doesn't take long to smoke cheese.  One time I tried it by freezing the cheese first--it seemed to help keep the cheese from melting or "weeping" like it normally does.  

Good luck.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, you just like hit my area of expertise on this one.  My father was a commercial cheese Quality assurance line man.  Come home everyday and tell me a new aspect of the cheese business.  Okay, I suppose you'd like to make smoky cheddar, correct?  Well, the best way is to make it fresh in your home.  Check this out, courtesy of my Dad, Line inspector 2.  This is how it goes:  Cheesemaking capitalises on the curdling of milk.  You gotta have milk.  Goat milk makes hard cheese, and you get more.  But cow milk makes softer and better mouth-feel cheese.  Cheese is really a form of fermented milk except you can't get drunk off it.  Wanna make some real country style cheese?  They take some nice soured milk or whey and leave it out for a day.  That'll be your starter culture.  You need rennet now.  Got your cattle stomach lining removal tool handy?  Get one.  Now it's the 4th stomach you take it from.  Got it?  Good.  Put it all in the cheese mold in that order, making sure to get it to 29 degrees celsius before adding rennet.  Now smoky cheddar is the hard thing to make.  It's more complex than your basic press-and-salt cheddar.  To make the smokey cheddar part you have to get eye of newt.  Nah, just kidding.  Just get yerself down to the local supermarket and buy it you cheap do it yourselfer, it aint worth all the trouble.  

NSF    
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Gosh, I saw the topic title and was just wondering how in the hell do you smoke cheese.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
First, you have to cut it...
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
[:D]I think that would cause harding of the lungs[:D]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Go here : http://www.bbq-porch.org/
Download the FAQ.  Read Section 21 How to smoke Cheese.

If you don't have a ready source of wood, go here : http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/.  They sell pelletized real wood.  I used some Apple last night to make smoked Meat Loaf.  Mighty Tasty!

Enjoy
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
You people AMAZE me.
God I love this place. Is there anything you guys dont know.

Wonderful source of info. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]
coolness thanks for the info especially that bbq site lotsa cool stuff I didnt know on there
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I talked to a guy one time that does this for a living. He said there is a 5 degree temperature range that you have to keep it at, below it and it would'nt take the smoke and above it and it would melt. I'm not sure on this but I think he said 260 degrees.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a bong, but Zig-Zags seem to work well too...[smoke][smoke][smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top