Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 9:34:19 PM EDT
I would like to do the fun stuff in the army, you know playing with weapons and learning to be a soldier.

I was just going to ask you guys how you like it what kind of stuff you do.  I talk with the recruiter but they sugar coat everything so its not a straight answer.

anyways what kind of stuff did you do when you were trained for this job? The recruiter seems to be pushing for these and I have to say it sounds great.  Then again I don't know if I can make it how physically challenging is it? examples?

thanks alot and general info about the military and your experiences, I want to make the right decision.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
guess they all are sleeping right now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in the airborne infantry in the 80's 3/505th, 82nd Airborne.

I'm a qualified expert with several different weapons: the broom (handle, wooden), mop & buffer. I can spot a pubic hair in a latrine at 25 yds. I can also burn human excrement with diesel fuel only (none of that easy burning gas that the REMF’s use).

I think that I fired some type of black rifle, but can't remember the name.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget the ever-present green pads and Brasso.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#4]
yes
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#5]
and don't forget police call!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, the joys of military service......

I had ALMOST forgotton!! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#7]
My thoughts, in no particular order....

1. Think about what you would like to do with your life.

2. Remember, Infantry Skills won't land you a decent job in the civilian market.

3. Combat Arms jobs are fun, but always keep #1/2 in mind.

4. Take advantange of any education savings programs you're offered.

5. Take advantange of any education opprotunities you have while in the service.

6. stay in shape physically and mentally

7. get in your contract and/or apply for Airborne, Air Assault (added "fun" packages) [:)]

8. do what is right for YOU and your future.

9. don't try to be/play the 'badass macho know-it-all', just be yourself and be a team player.

Things you may want to look into:
(Sadly, no one job is 100% full-time fun)

Inf
Demo/Eng
Medic
Commo
arty
armor
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]
quick note: if you go SPECOPS and are of sound body and mind when you get out of the service,,,,there are wonderful defense contractors out there willing to pay big $$$$$$$$ for youer skills...otherwise join up for a skill set in the medical field or something.....like a radiation tech...or something
even an interpretur for the sppok teams

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I recommend what 7IDL said.  Are you looking for "job" experience or "tactical" experience.  Having served in the Infantry for almost 6 years (84-88 & 2002-present), I can tell you that no one will care about your 11Bravo (Infantry) experience when it comes to jobs - in fact it will be a disadvantage with many employers (like telling them you own guns... they think you are are psycho.)  Anyway, if you want to go Infantry you may or may not have a chance to do some really cool stuff.  1st step is don't believe your recruiter and get EVERYTHING in writing.  I'm assuming you want to go Regular (full-time) Army as opposed to National Guard or Reserve?  Get your recruiter to guarantee getting you a slot with either the 82nd Airborne, 101st Airborne (Air Assault) or maybe 10th Mountain.  Try to get to Jump School regardless if at all possible.  Your signing contract through your recruiter is the only guarantees you'll get - everything else will be fate.  

Infantry is hard, uncomfortable and sometimes boring.  I get too many young kids to my unit who expect us to rappel out of helicopters all the time and do all the "hooah" stuff.  That just doesn't happen.  However, there will be times that you experience in the Infantry that will define you.  I didn't join (then or now) for college, pay or anything else that these slick recruiting ads push.  I joined because I know I have the heart of a warrior.  I'm here because for generations my family has served in the Armed Forces from the Colonial militias to our current "war on terror."  I'm in the Infantry because I believe in my Country and I know not many people in this country are willing to do what I do, willing to sacrifice what I do or are willing to risk what I do.

If you join the Infantry, you join it because you WANT to be there... because carrying a rifle into close combat with your enemy is what you ARE, not just who you want to be because it looks cool.  It's not a game, and we don't have time for wannabes.

Off my soapbox for now.  Good luck and think long and hard before you join.  It's not for everyone but if you are willing to serve in good times and bad, when it is exciting AND boring, when it is slow-speed, high-speed and sometimes deadly then I look forward to having you as a "brother" in arms.

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm actually in college right now so I would be joining the National Guard.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're in college you should consider becoming an officer.  You'll be doing everything your platoon does in the field, but instead of cleaning when you're in the rear you'll be planning...and despite what you may hear officers do work just as hard as enlisted, it's just a different kind of work, and you may find yourself more challenged...spend a couple years as a grunt and if you're bored then go to OCS.  That's what I did, over 10 years in the Guard I've been a PVT,PV2,PFC,SPC,SGT, and have been an infantry 2LT for almost a year now.  Your military service will be what you make of it.  If it ever seems too tough, just remember that your training is designed to make you a soldier, not weed you out of the Army.  Get used to marching with a rucksack on!  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Another thing:

Shit rolls downhill.

Until you make rank of some type, you'll be living in the valley.

IE: It's not all fun and games.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
i was going to try to do ROTC so that I could be a officer but that would take a little while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top